• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Shag Harbour UFO Incident - Cousteaus to Undertake Dive to Investigate

Paul Kimball

Paranormal Adept
Along with researchers Chris Styles, Chris Rutkowski, and others, I’ll be speaking at the Shag Harbour UFO Conference over the first weekend in August here in Nova Scotia (my lecture will be a historical overview about the MIB phenomenon). Some interesting news today from the Shag Harbour UFO Incident Society. Here is the full release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: PRESS RELEASE

COUSTEAU FAMILY WILL UNDERTAKE DIVE TO DISCOVER SHAG HARBOUR UFO MYSTERY

When this year’s Shag Harbour UFO Conference is held next month in Barrington, Nova Scotia, special guests will be members of the famous Jacques Cousteau family.

The 2018 Shag Harbour UFO Conference, held to remember and celebrate the famous UFO incident that occurred near the small Nova Scotia community almost 51 years ago, will take place August 3, 4 and 5 at the Barrington Municipal Arena in Barrington.

The Shag Harbour UFO Incident Society, formed several years ago to promote and to help keep memories of this mysterious event alive, was recently approached by Cineflix Media Inc. in Toronto. The company is working on a documentary series that is being produced in partnership with the Cousteau Family for Discovery Science and as part of their series they are investigating the Shag Harbour UFO case.

Almost 51 years ago, on the night of October 4, 1967, an unidentified large flying object crashed into the waters near the shores of the little fishing village of Shag Harbour, about 13 kms from Barrington. Some witnesses thought it was a plane crash while others described the object as a series of strange lights, but whatever crashed into the Atlantic Ocean that night has never been determined. However, since then, the incident has generated many books, documentaries and theories.

Laurie Wickens, President of the Shag Harbour UFO Incident Society and one of the first people to respond to the 1967 incident, says society members are excited with the news that Cousteau family members will be participating in this year’s conference.

Celine and Fabian Cousteau, grandchildren of Jacques Cousteau will be coming to Shag Harbour to carry out an underwater search with local diver David Cvet who was the main diver involved in the 1967 story.

In addition to the dive, Celine Cousteau will also sit with the Witness Panel on the first evening of the conference in Barrington on August 3. The Cousteau dive team and film crew will be arriving in Barrington at the end of July and staying into the first several days of August for filming.

For further information on this event, contact Shag Harbour UFO lecturer/researcher, Chris Styles at 902-229-1967 or email: [email protected]. Laurie Wickens, who still lives in Shag Harbour today, can be reached at 902-319-0411 or by email: [email protected]

Do they really expect to find anything? If it were a plane it would've been reported as missing and searched for long ago. If an ET craft, it probably would've disappeared.
Another thing: while Shag Harbor is an interesting case it doesn't appear to me to be as as interesting or spectacular as dozens of others that just seem to fly under the radar.

Do they really expect to find anything? If it were a plane it would've been reported as missing and searched for long ago. If an ET craft, it probably would've disappeared.
Another thing: while Shag Harbor is an interesting case it doesn't appear to me to be as as interesting or spectacular as dozens of others that just seem to fly under the radar.
Fair points. The Shag Harbor case did evolve into something more interesting for me over the years. When I first heard about the case it was simply the local witnesses, but later, the navy got involved and reportedly tracked something around underwater for a number of days. That added an extra dimension of interest. What other good cases come to mind for you that have "gone under the radar" ? I'd be interested to know and maybe have another look at them too.

Leaving aside the merits of the case for a second, and putting on my proud (and admittedly pedantic) Canadian hat, it's "Harbour," not "Harbor". :)

As for the case itself, there are indeed other good cases. But the quality of the witnesses at Shag (including the fact that they were independent of each other), the prolonged nature of the sighting (it occurred all along the southern shore of the province, not just at Shag), and the involvement at an official, and perhaps unofficial, level, of the government, which classified the case as a "UFO" in their own documents, makes it of interest to me, more than most. Still doesn't prove it was anything "paranormal", but it remains unexplained.

Will they find anything down there? Who knows... but if someone wants to give it a go, I'm all for it. Beats trudging around in the New Mexico badlands with metal detectors!

.....later, the navy got involved and reportedly tracked something around underwater for a number of days.

By means of passive sonar, as opposed to active? Something was making a noise underwater enabling them to track it like a sub?

What other good cases come to mind for you that have "gone under the radar" ? I'd be interested to know and maybe have another look at them too.

Too many to even remember. :)

By means of passive sonar, as opposed to active? Something was making a noise underwater enabling them to track it like a sub?

There have been several versions of the story. At the moment the one I recall is eluding me on the Internet. This one has some mention of Navy involvement: The Incident

Start Around 3:53 For Navy Involvement

Last edited:
Can the ticket sales of attendance to the SHUI conference justify the cost of diving a large party for some period of time? This must be a pretty big conference if so. When I see this stuff, meaning the blending of household names (Cousteau) and very low probability work my expectations go WAY down, and I guys that is my point here, so much disappointment we all boarder on the definition of insane, you know expecting different results etc. but by using such gimmicks to promote the field sets us up for this repeated disappointment. I do not mean to criticize the work being done, in fact, I applaud it but we have to get more credible people working on this stuff. The cost of a dive, all in, in no small cost which could be better spent on someone like Michio Kaku starting to review the most compelling and data-rich cases. This subject is doomed to the classic death by a thousand cuts by which I mean money being spent to draw tourism vs. actually supporting scientific initiatives. I hope the conference goes well but I am going to give this a Chris Obrien Yawn.

Perhaps you misspoke, but what isn’t interesting or spectacular about the Shag Harbour incident?
It has everything a ufo fan could ask for.

Humanoids? Interaction with humans? Landing traces? A UFO dove into the water. Not a bad case but...

If you are alluding to far lesser known cases such as, Ariel Primary School Incident, Japan Air Lines flight 1628 then I would agree with you.
These cases are lesser known because most ufo media, movies, journalism, documentaries come from the USA.

The Ariel incident is, in my judgement, as well known as Shag Harbor.

Here's what they are going to find; water, fish, sunken boats perhaps.....but no flying saucer.

Is there any reason to believe that some fuckery is afoot in this case? The Canadian military is all over it. Your buddy Greg Bishop's book really ruined UFOs for me. I now think they're total fiction, especially with so much military involvement.

I don’t mean to suggest I went home, read Project Beta, and then put it down and decided I don’t believe in UFOs any more. But after so many years ago when UFOs interested me, to now, any time I hear about an old case that used to excite me (like this one) all I can do is think about poor Paul Bennewitz, and how the military intelligence operatives just luuuuuuvvvccccedd pushing the UFO narrative down the throat of that poor, emotionally deviated man, poor dead fool. Intel just loves the UFO narrative. They can spin so much bullshit, and then whatever really happened is lost forever, concealed behind the mask of pure fantasy.

Fascinating stuff and good luck to them, but I can't help but think that whatever it was at the bottom of Shag Harbour will have long since been carried away and cleaned up by the Canadian military.

P.S. Hi all, it's been a while. :)

Fascinating stuff and good luck to them, but I can't help but think that whatever it was at the bottom of Shag Harbour will have long since been carried away and cleaned up by the Canadian military.

Is there any evidence the object was immobilized after hitting the water? Not AFAIK. Diving into water needn't imply a wreck. Also, I'm not aware of any retrieval operation by the Canadian military--or ours.

Is there any evidence the object was immobilized after hitting the water? Not AFAIK. Diving into water needn't imply a wreck. Also, I'm not aware of any retrieval operation by the Canadian military--or ours.
It's a moot point. Either there was physical evidence - be that wreckage, effects on the local environment or whatever else - or there wasn't. If there was, it will have been cleared up and there's nothing to see. If there wasn't, there's nothing to see.

The time elapsed alone means that any evidence left of any form in such an environment will likely be long gone. I say that speaking as a professional accident investigator.

Doubtless the Cousteaus' involvement will make good television and an interesting conference presentation, which in themselves are worthy things, but I'm not holding my breath for any revelatory new evidence. Fascinating case, nonetheless.

Regarding Shag Harbour; I get the same feeling I get when I see a program on TV where a new scientific crew is going to dive into the depths of Loch Ness to see what they can find.......yawn. When I like 4,5,6,7,8 years old - I would have gotten excited for a program like that. Now that I'm an adult, I already know that they aren't going to find anything. None of these TV shows ever SOLVE the problem/issue. Take Monster Quest. If you were watching it for the first time, you might get the impression that they are going to do an investigation and either capture the creature or get solid photographic/video evidence. That never, ever happens. The viewer will be just as clueless at the beginning of the show as when the show ends. Same with Shag Harbor. Nothing astonishing is going to come out of the conference/event. People will leave with just as many questions as when they arrived and nothing will be solved.

Back