• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

SETI: Are we P***ing in the Wind?

The whole "Silly Effort To Investigate," as Uncle Stanton puts it, has always been based on a series of comically ludicrous assumptions. That doesn't keep me from hoping some bored aliens in our neighborhood decide to fire up some RF equipment and have some fun with the self-important schmucks.

Agree, no true believer rather open mind , we should not be scared to ask out of the box questions! as no one has any answers just theories and some researchers have become boxed in. I do like Stanton Friedman books and he who stood against tidal wave of ridicule for his theories on flying saucers/unknowns. His work on the Roswell Case is historical in itself. God Bless him for that and his family. The SETI Program is doing great work searching for the big questions are we alone . I doubt the "unknowns" would want to make contact with the human race. Using pure speculation : do think we are not alone going on the growing evidence of water on Mars. New developments on Ceres not just hidden pockets and the large amounts of water crystals formations as

Dwarf planet Ceres is flush with water
https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/ceres-is-cloaked-in-asteroid-debrison

Maybe they are micro or macro organism or some other crazy forms of energy floating through the universe. Also paranormal encounters with so called "small creatures "which seem to cloaked and vanished within a shadow against the sunlight gives a glimpse for more questions into this field. Like to see SETI program expanded with those nano -cubes into the outer orbit rather than relying on Earth bases systems.? Also in Stanton Friedmans defence folks have seen flying saucers in UK during the 1960s one such case two British police officer s who were chasing one unknown object near Manchester ( another couple eyewitness the event). It was the classic UFO/Flying Saucer which seem to play cat and mouse with the bill. Then it just vanished into thin air and the couple who saw the flying saucer were asked to keep the experience to themselves by the two police officers.

Not discounting earlier advance experimental fighter aircraft for a number of so called UFO sightings being around the same time either.

Declassified: America's Secret Flying Saucer

Last edited:
As a lapsed radio ham myself, I saw a lot of sense in this bloke's article. I guess we could take both a positive and negative from it:

-ve: No chance realistically of hearing from ET.
+ve: SETI radio traffic may be all around us, we're just not smart enough to tease it out from the noise yet.

Why The SETI Project Is Doomed To Fail: A Radio Engineer's Perspective
Good article, but as it also says about the challenges: "Not all of this is lost in the SETI people." Plus, short of the aliens openly disclosing themselves en-mass to the public, SETI seems to be the most reasonable and likely scientific way that we will locate an extraterrestrial civilization. I'm OK with it.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath for SETI to find anything, but for a group looking for E.T. signals, they are much more scientific in their approach than say someone like Greer. I'd rather have a group like SETI looking at anomalous signals than the starry-eyed. Can you imagine if SETI were run by Bassett or Greer, or even Icke? That would truly be a trainwreck as they would be flogging every strange signal they found as possible ET transmissions.

This field needs all the science it can get.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath for SETI to find anything, but for a group looking for E.T. signals, they are much more scientific in their approach than say someone like Greer. I'd rather have a group like SETI looking at anomalous signals than the starry-eyed. Can you imagine if SETI were run by Bassett or Greer, or even Icke? That would truly be a trainwreck as they would be flogging every strange signal they found as possible ET transmissions.

This field needs all the science it can get.

It actually doesn't matter much if SETI finds something.

It matters that we're doing what we can to look.

(Terrestrial radio is already dying, I highly doubt ETs use it for a large % of the lifetime of their civilization. We'd have to be awfully lucky to pick one up. Zeta Reticulans could have a base on Alpha Centari prime and we wouldn't know it if they used tight beam laser optical transmission, for example).

What a total waste of money & time! SETI shows just how desperate the UFO denial crowd are..& just how stupid they think we are.

What a total waste of money & time! SETI shows just how desperate the UFO denial crowd are..& just how stupid they think we are.
No, it's not.

Besides the secondary science advancements done by SETI, it's very worthwhile to at least look.

SETI is extremely cheap. Something on the order of $2.5M/year, or half the cost of one predator drone.

Well worth it just to inspire society.

Odds that just SETI is doing this type of research around the World. China and India have their own type of research. Not forgetting the Vatican and other religious institutions being connected to other projects.

I'd like to add that SETI relies on donations from corporations and individuals. No federal dollars go to SETI.

Back