• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sensing Murder

Polterwurst

Paranormal Adept
Hiho. Calling all forum members from New Zealand.

1. Does anybody have any insights if the claims of the TV series "Sensing Murder" (which I ashamedly admit I had never heard about until now, but what can you do, living on the other side of the planet :D) that they tested lots of psychics for their programme and that the psychics are never given any information beforehand are valid?

2. Have there been any independent updates to cases like this one, which remained open at the end of the episode, which either confirmed or contradicted the information received by the psychics?

For people like me who didn't know this existed: the programme is basically following the work of psychics who have been asked by the family of a missing person, a person killed under suspicious circumstances or in clear and unsolved murder cases, to try and get information on this person in their own way. The psychics are allegedly "put to the test" in that they are not given any information beforehand and, often independent from each other, seem to come up with astonishing verifiable detail.

If any of this is for real, it would of course be proof positive that "psychic detectives" do tap into anomalous information and could really be helpful to the police.

The programme also says that only about three in a hundred psychics pass their tests which are conducted to select a psychic before the shows are recorded. Which would fit my theory that the psychics we mostly hear from, like Ed Dames, maybe had one or two hits but mostly are just "receiving" their own imagination.

Yeah, sure, it's only entertainment, they are all about mystery and sensationalism, and they cheated on Ghosthunters, why shouldn't the be doing that here (yada yada ;))... but the show actually seems to be more decent than most I've seen lately.

I know there's people from New Zealand here so I though I might give it a try to dig up more info.

Here's a playlist of further episodes, for those who are interested.
Popular Sensing Murder Videos - YouTube

Last edited:
There was a show done here in Oz called the one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_(TV_program)

I watched some of it and wasnt impressed with results

And the controversy section of that link raises some interesting points about Entertainment as a valid means of testing anything

The skeptic says thay had a 94 % miss rate but no real stats to back it
A psychic says the show edited out the "hits" to make it seem more believable

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I just tried to watch but couldn't stand more than a few minutes. All this "Big Brother" or "the next Uri Geller" like voting off and artificially cheering studio audience business gives me the creeps.

Well, there's quite decent TV shows and then there's Reality TV. "Sensing Murder", which has its Reality TV moments, too, still seems to be quite a bit less annoying and more "old school TV". And.... I have to admit that for me, anything with Rebecca Gibney in it doesn't seem as much of a waste of time. :oops:

Back