• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Scanned UFO newspaper clippings - file name format

IsaacKoi

Paranormal Maven
As a bit of light planning for one aspect of Project Phoenix (a week long experiment in collaboration in ufology which I'm still aiming to do in November/December this year to tie up some loose ends, as I mentioned a few months ago), I've now started to combine some large collections of UFO newspaper cuttings and reaching out to a few groups/researchers about assimilating further material.

Progress is becoming rather rapid.

This involves imposing a standard file name format so that the files form a new master collection.

Having previously invited opinions and looked into formats used by others (not to mention experimenting quite a bit myself over the years...), the format I've now started using for newspaper cuttings is:

Year Month (as a number, to enable sorting into chronological order...) Day_Relevant newspaper/publication_Group or person that did the scanning_Source Archive_Keyword (if any keyword was used by relevant archive when filing the clipping)

I'll paste a few examples of the file names for newspaper cuttings below:

1968 08 08_Daily mirror_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 08 23_Express and Star_AFU scan_CFI archive_keyword UFO.pdf

1968 09 06_Daily sketch_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 09 07_Daily Express 2_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 09 07_Daily Express_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 09 07_Sun_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 09 08_Daily Mirror_AFU scan_CFI archive_keyword UFO.pdf

1968 09 08_Sunday Express_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 09 15_Sunday Post_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 07 19_Nottingham Guardian Journal_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 07 20_South Wales Echo_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 07 31_Montreal Gazette_AFU scan_CFI archive_keyword UFO.pdf

1968 08 02_Renfrewshire Gazette_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 08 07_Sun_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 08 07_The evening news_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 08 08_Daily Mirror_AFU scan_CFI archive_keyword UFO.pdf

Further examples are included in the screenshot at the link below:

UFO newsclipping - file name format

OQ7UeQx.jpg

If anyone has any better ideas for the file name format, I'd rather hear about it now than later. The collection has doubled and doubled again in size during the last couple of weeks. At this rate of progress, I'm expecting the collection to become pretty big in the near future and it would be best to get the file name format right at the outset. :)

Last edited:
This is an excellent research project. Will it include the newspaper accounts of sightings reported during the 1947 wave that were collected and published by Ted Bloecher, available at NICAP:

http://nicap.org/waves/Wave47Rpt/ReportOnWaveOf1947.pdf

Also, do you know if a catalogue of radar-visual events reported to be in progress in recent years has now been published, online or in book form?

Thank you for all that you do in preserving the records of ufo sightings and interactions in the US.

This is an excellent research project. Will it include the newspaper accounts of sightings reported during the 1947 wave that were collected and published by Ted Bloecher, available at NICAP:
http://nicap.org/waves/Wave47Rpt/ReportOnWaveOf1947.pdf

Yes, there will be quite a few 1947 clippings. :)

I'm currently trying to sort out the addition of at least part of the largest such collection that I'm aware of, compiled by a Italian colleague. (His collection contains over 18,000 of cuttings from 1947 alone).

Also, do you know if a catalogue of radar-visual events reported to be in progress in recent years has now been published, online or in book form?

I'm not aware of any such recent catalogue. If you let me know any more details, I can look into it.

Last edited:
As a bit of light planning for one aspect of Project Phoenix (a week long experiment in collaboration in ufology which I'm still aiming to do in November/December this year to tie up some loose ends, as I mentioned a few months ago), I've now started to combine some large collections of UFO newspaper cuttings and reaching out to a few groups/researchers about assimilating further material.

Progress is becoming rather rapid.

This involves imposing a standard file name format so that the files form a new master collection.

Having previously invited opinions and looked into formats used by others (not to mention experimenting quite a bit myself over the years...), the format I've now started using for newspaper cuttings is:

Year Month (as a number, to enable sorting into chronological order...) Day_Relevant newspaper/publication_Group or person that did the scanning_Source Archive_Keyword (if any keyword was used by relevant archive when filing the clipping)

I'll paste a few examples of the file names for newspaper cuttings below:

1968 08 08_Daily mirror_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 08 23_Express and Star_AFU scan_CFI archive_keyword UFO.pdf

1968 09 06_Daily sketch_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 09 07_Daily Express 2_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 09 07_Daily Express_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 09 07_Sun_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 09 08_Daily Mirror_AFU scan_CFI archive_keyword UFO.pdf

1968 09 08_Sunday Express_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 09 15_Sunday Post_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 07 19_Nottingham Guardian Journal_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 07 20_South Wales Echo_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 07 31_Montreal Gazette_AFU scan_CFI archive_keyword UFO.pdf

1968 08 02_Renfrewshire Gazette_AFU scan_Dave Sankey archive.pdf

1968 08 07_Sun_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 08 07_The evening news_Blom scan_AFU archive.pdf

1968 08 08_Daily Mirror_AFU scan_CFI archive_keyword UFO.pdf

Further examples are included in the screenshot at the link below:

UFO newsclipping - file name format

OQ7UeQx.jpg

If anyone has any better ideas for the file name format, I'd rather hear about it now than later. The collection has doubled and doubled again in size during the last couple of weeks. At this rate of progress, I'm expecting the collection to become pretty big in the near future and it would be best to get the file name format right at the outset. :)
Outside of an accompanying Key that would define short forms or acronyms for your labels I can't think of better approach that what you have here. As it stands these titles help the viewer to scan through for relevant information at a quick glance which will be very helpful. Thanks for your ongoing efforts in making research in the field a more accessible event! You continue to do the heavy lifting. Much admiration....

Yes, there will be quite a few 1947 clippings. :)

I'm currently trying to sort out the addition of at least part of the largest such collection that I'm aware of, compiled by a Italian colleague. (His collection contains over 18,000 of cuttings from 1947 alone).

Excellent. Does this colleague's research cover 1947 events outside the US?

I'm not aware of any such recent catalogue [catalogue of radar-visual sightings[. If you let me know any more details, I can look into it.

I'll look for information concerning this catalogue. I read a reference to its being in progress some time ago but do not remember any details concerning it. It would obviously be a great advantage to have all that information collected in one text.

Back