• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Saw "Children of Men" tonight

T

Tony2007

Absolutely, without a doubt, the best movie I have seen in the past year. Also one of the most violent, and I'm talking "Schindler's List" violent. In fact that's not a bad movie to bring up because some of the scenes could have come right out of that movie, and there's even a "Homeland Security" holding zone that could easily have been a Jewish ghetto from 1940s Germany, if not a concentration camp.

Don't know what else to say except it was brilliant. Brutal, bleak, depressing, but exhilerating and oddly enough, at the end it was uplifting. I found myself getting lost in the hopelessness from time to time, but there are quiet scenes interspersed throughout that give you "breaks." And there's well-placed humor that keeps things from getting too constipated. Like salad with steak.

I'd have to say my favorite bits are between Clive Owen's character Theo, and Michael Caine's character, an old hippie named Jasper. There's even a seen where Jasper says he saw a UFO once. Nice one.

Anyway, I'd certainly recommend it to you all, and I'd love to know what you thought since this is, after all, a great gathering of minds we've got here!

Well I saw this movie several months ago and still I think about it from time to time...

Yeah, the phrase about UFO and 'who cares now?' was really good. I think even at real day by day life we can ask the same question 'Who cares?' Thanks God it's OK with our children but it seems like the world looks at UFO phenomena the same way so we do can ask the same question:)

Some moments at this movie made it look like a documentary one. The scene with choosing footwear where he ultimately end up with slippers was real good as well.

Did you watch it at the theater or on DVD?

Artyom said:
Well I saw this movie several months ago and still I think about it from time to time...

Yeah, the phrase about UFO and 'who cares now?' was really good. I think even at real day by day life we can ask the same question 'Who cares?' Thanks God it's OK with our children but it seems like the world looks at UFO phenomena the same way so we do can ask the same question:)

Some moments at this movie made it look like a documentary one. The scene with choosing footwear where he ultimately end up with slippers was real good as well.

Did you watch it at the theater or on DVD?

Theater. They kept pushing back the release date. I'm thinking you must be from somewhere outside America because our release date was December 28th.

Tony2007 said:
Theater. They kept pushing back the release date. I'm thinking you must be from somewhere outside America because our release date was December 28th.

Aha, Ukraine. It's pretty far from US:) Actually I thought that we saw this movie after it was released at Western Europe and States.

This movie deal with the paranormal? All I could find out about it was that women can't give birth.

I went to the official site. Seems like a good movie. I might check it out.

Dont think this is out in the U.K. yet,if your recommending it as much as I think you are, it sounds well worth a watch.

It definitely made my best of 2006 list. I can't wait to see it again - wonderful perfomances all around, especially by Clive Owen.

I like Craig as Bond, but Owen would have made a great choice too!

Paul

paulkimball said:
It definitely made my best of 2006 list. I can't wait to see it again - wonderful perfomances all around, especially by Clive Owen.

I like Craig as Bond, but Owen would have made a great choice too!

Paul

All right, Paul, that film is on my list too. I'm hoping to see it in the next week or so.

A.LeClair said:
This movie deal with the paranormal? All I could find out about it was that women can't give birth.

I went to the official site. Seems like a good movie. I might check it out.

It doesn't deal with the paranormal, but there is a funny moment where UFOs are referenced.

Paul

Last movie I watched was Pursuit of Happiness. I was told it was some really big inspirational movie. I didn't care for it. Nor was I inspired by it. Many others liked it though.

Many here might like the movie "What the Bleep do we know". Kind of a docu-drama on new agey interpretations of quantum theory.

Back