• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

robin hoods haunted grave

viridiana

Paranormal Novice
Here are some interesting u tube clips--will follow up with the story next!

----

http://r0b1n-h00d.blogspot.com/

http://robin-hoode.blogspot.com/2007/11/disappearance-of-babs.html

http://robinhoodconspiracy.blogspot.com/

http://robert-hood.blogspot.com/

http://groups.msn.com/kirkleesparkrevisited--

http://groups.msn.com/folktalesofyorkshire

www.robinhoodyorkshire.co.uk

ROBIN OF SPOOKWOOD

" ‘ TIS NOW THE VERY WITCHING TIME OF NIGHT

WHEN CHURCHYARDS YAWN, AND HELL ITSELF BREATHES OUT

CONTAGION TO THE WORLD: NOW I COULD DRINK HOT BLOOD

AND DO SUCH BITTER BUSINESS AS THE DAY." HAMLET ACT 111

"CHAINED TO ALL THE PLACES THAT HE NEVER WISHED TO STAY

BOUND WITH ALL THE WEIGHT OF ALL THE WORLD HE TRIED TO SAY

AS HE FACED THE SUN HE CAST NO SHADOWS

AS THEY TOOK HIS SOUL THEY STOLE HIS PRIDE

AS HE FACED THE SUN HE CAST NO SHADOW."

OASIS

Over the past few years reports of paranormal phenomena at Robin Hood’s Grave have been reported to the Yorkshire Robin Hood Society. One of the earliest stories was from an elderly lady who used to visit her aunt in Hartshead many years ago. She and a friend often heard Robin calling for Marian over Kirklees, which was just down the hill, and on one occasion they found a silver arrow near the grave.

In the early eighties,Barbara Green was told by Roger Williams, a local man, how he saw the apparition of a white lady on two occasions when he was clandestinely visiting the grave. On both occasions,1963 and 1972,he saw the same woman gliding across the grass and stated,"Wild horses would not drag me there again."

Barbara Green also had a terrifying experience at the graveside, seeing forms which she identified as the wicked prioress and Red Roger of Doncaster. Mark Gibbons,too, saw the white figure and vowed never to go near the grave again.Two reporters,Judith Broadbent and Sue Ellis,experienced strange happenings at the gravesite and Sue was taken seriously ill immediately after her visit.

However, the most enigmatic and controversial paranormal phenomena was reported by Bishop *********who masterminded aN unofficial mini exorcism at the gravestite in 1990.According to Uri Gellor, ********is the most famous vampire hunter of the twentieth century." This claim to fame came about largely due to the bishop’s investigation into the Highgate Cemetery vampire in the nineteen seventies, which earned him a great deal of fame--and notoriety ! At that time, he was not a bishop, but a lord,reputedly descended from the charismatic nineteenth century poet,Lord Byron, to whom his lordship bore a striking resemblance in those days .

Bishop *********** investigations into the Robin Hood situation led him to conclude that vampiric infestation was the cause of the evil atmosphere ,strange accidents and spectral sightings. These incidents have been written about fully in Barbara Green’s books,SECRETS OF THE GRAVE .

During the Kirklees Vampire investigation,Otley artist and psychic invetigator Evelyn Friend tried to exorcise the evil vibrations in the area by blessing the ley lines which originated at the grave-site. These ancient lines of mystical power were discovered by the Yorkshire Robin Hood Society in 1986--they stretch from the grave to Hartshead Church,The Three Nuns Inn,Castle Hill at Huddersfield and Alegar Holy Well in Brighouse.

The Vicar of Brighouse, the Reverend John Flack was asked to perform a blessing service over the grave, but was taken to task by his bishop and had to withdraw his offer. Shortly afterwards,his church was vandalised for suspected occult purposes. Two other local bishops were asked to intervene and use their position to press for a blessing ceremony , but both declined to be involved in no uncertain terms. In fact, they were decidedly " not amused" and completely disassociated themselves from the entire situation, and strongly advised Miss Friend and the rest of the ghostbusters, to leave well alone. Blessings indeed ! Whatever next?

The mystery of Robin Hood’s Grave remains unsolved at the present time,though it is far from forgotten. We would be very interested to hear from anyone out there who can suggest

how we deal with this very peculiar and frustrating situation. In the meantime, the deterioration of Robin Hood’s Grave and Kirklees Priory Gatehouse continues.

Notice: Microsoft has no responsibility for the content featured in this group. Click here for more info.
MSN - Make it Your Home MSN Home | Hotmail | Web Search | Shopping | Money | People & Groups Help

©2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use Advertise TRUSTe Approved Privacy Statement

i might be reading it wrong but isnt the grave itself a proven fake ?

"Another reference is provided by Thomas Gale, Dean of York (c.1635–1702),[15] but this comes nearly four hundred years after the events it describes:

[Robin Hood's] death is stated by Ritson to have taken place on the 18th of November, 1247, about the eighty-seventh year of his age; but according to the following inscription found among the papers of the Dean of York…the death occurred a month later. In this inscription, which bears evidence of high antiquity, Robin Hood is described as Earl of Huntington — his claim to which title has been as hotly contested as any disputed peerage upon record.
Hear undernead dis laitl stean
Lais Robert Earl of Huntingun
Near arcir der as hie sa geud
An pipl kauld im Robin Heud
Sic utlaws as hi an is men
Vil England nivr si agen.
Obiit 24 Kal Dekembris 1247
This inscription also appears on a grave in the grounds of Kirklees Priory near Kirklees Hall (see below). Despite appearances, and the author's assurance of 'high antiquity', there is little reason to give the stone any credence. It certainly cannot date from the 13th century; notwithstanding the implausibility of a 13th century funeral monument being composed in English, the language of the inscription is highly suspect. Its orthography does not correspond to the written forms of Middle English at all: there are no inflected '—e's, the plural accusative pronoun 'hi' is used as a singular nominative, and the singular present indicative verb 'lais' is formed without the Middle English '—th' ending. Overall, the epitaph more closely resembles modern English written in a deliberately 'archaic' style. Furthermore, the reference to Huntingdon is anachronistic: the first recorded mention of the title in the context of Robin Hood occurs in the 1598 play The Downfall of Robert, Earl of Huntington by Anthony Munday. The monument can only be a 17th century forgery."

robin hood at wiki

i was always of the mind he was more legend than real

Hi Mike,

the present gravesite is indeed a Victorian folly built over or near the orginal gravesite of which there is considerable historical evidence for the grave being there (which is detailed on my website.) The paranormal links came to light about 16 years ago when the Yorkshire Robin Hood Society were having to make clandestine visits to do their research,(often in the dark) as permission for people to visit this site, deeply hidden in woodland, was--and still is--generally refused by the landowner. Because local people were very disgusted by this--it is not in any cultivated farmland,it has long been a local tradition to hop over the wall. All the films and tv shows you see on tv and mostly in books are just about, as you say, untrue, with no serious attempt to follow history. Tony Robinson was one of the favoured few allowed to vists the site--also the priory gatehouse where Robin died--as it would have looked bad to refuse him, he simply re-wrote what we already had discovered --and published--- but he made mega bucks--haha!

As the site is on the crossing of ley lines we wondered if it was used for witchcraft, and the ghostly reports are all independent.

Viridiana

Im not suggesting that there isnt unusual phenomena at this location,
rather that this, as an example of said activity is prob not a good example, being tainted already by the bogus monument. and compounded by the question of RH being real person Vs legand/archetype.

theres is enough "one armed swiss farmer" about this example as to make it a poor example in terms of credibility. any modern data on observed phenomena will always be tainted by those factors.

and that may be a pity. perhaps if this area didnt have the faked monument and association with a figure half real half legend, then the actual phenomena might be more worthy of study.

Hi Guys

Whatever the interpretation of the events described,ots a very spooky place to visit dead of night--also creepy in the daytime. Also there is a reasonable amount of historically documented evidence to suggest that Robin did die here in suspicious circumstances without receiving the Last Rites of the Church and was buried in unconsecrated ground---why did the owner refuse a Christian blessing of the site? We have, I admit, not enough evidence to state who Robin was and his dates--there are arguments for various Robins within a 200 year space--but plenty of cirumstancial and documented stuff to give him reality.Also why all the secrecy these days, thats another story--either its extreme selfishness or there is some dickipoggy around the site.

viridiana

Please, please, define "dickipoggy." I'm serious. I love that word!
I'm interested in the possibility of this being Robin Hood's gravesite, but I can't help but really wonder what "dickipoggy" is. I guess I'm not used to slang other than American. : )

Dickipoggy is a Yorkshire word and means something life hanky panky--if that is any help! You can use it for just about anything, especially if someone is being pompous and getting in a tantrum--like, look he's going dickipoggy,

of if there is a fishy sounding story you can say, It sounds very dickipoggy to me!

hope that helps

Viridiana

Thanks, Viridiana, it does! Dickipoggy...hee hee! I LOVE that word! Now I get it. Thanks for the interesting posts. I'll have to do more reading up on Robin Hood's grave. I had never really known anything about it, now I want to. : )

Hi there--well things might change about access etc now as I have heard Lady Armytage has kicked the bucket--she was 81. That may sound a bit unsympathetic but she has obstructed access to the sites since 1984 when I became interested and she surrounded herself
with syncophantic cap doffers who were always having a go at me over the "poor old lady" who, in 1984 would have been 60, the age I am now. Depending on who inherits the land, things might get better or worse ! hope a certain person does not attempt to turn her into a vampire--when Princess Di died there was fears she would be vampirised but happily this did not occur!
tata viridiana

Back