• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Remember the Movie, "Enemy of the State"?

At the end of the day, every device that is human or network connected can be hacked. It's a simple math problem that describes the impossibility of perfect security.

I did the math once in university... I think it's impossible to write software beyond 10 lines or so without some kind of flaw or unanticipated side effect.

Well actually there is a whole school of science to prove or disprove computer programs correct.

For much of so called "flight software", this is actually done. For example there is a subset of Ada language called SPARK, that is meant to be proven. And yes, it goes way over 10 lines!

But the reality is that you do this only for the most hard-core inner-loop control. You run this code in bare-metal, no operating system. There are no proven multitasking kernels.

Bottom line is that its super expensive, and often not worth the effort. You do all other stuff in normal Linux way these days, running a normal processes.

Sorry if this was too technical, just ask and I'll elaborate.

Back