• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Redfern, Ritzman, and Tonnies Show

Kim323

Paranormal Maven
Another superb show, well put on irrespective of what the listener may
believe (in my opinion). As to what is needed to break through in the field,
first of all I hope the prediction of three to five years of one occurring indeed
does! And despite David's and Jeff's remonstrations to not wish for a paranormal
experience, I must admit I do mightily wish for a benevolent being (stress on
benevolent) gently awakening me in the night from my slumbers and cradling me
in his (better yet, her) arms, assuring me it's for real, and that everything, Kim,
is going to be all right. Of course, setting conditions for wishes breaks the rules,
I suppose. I do want to reiterate my feeling that getting some bona fide scientists
on, ones who are interested in the UFO phenomenon, would be a big step toward
the breakthrough discussed, or perhaps the partial panacea that would open the
discussion up. By this, I don't mean to diminish Bruce or Stanton. I again recommend
Peter Sturrock. Please google him and then read the Wikipedia article about him, which
includes further links. I know Wikipedia has its controversy, too, but the article on
Sturrock is very good. And there are other google links, too. I'm probably going to get
in trouble with either David or Gene on this one, but I'd recommend reading two books
by a mathematical physicist at Tulane named Frank Tipler. What Mac said about technology caused me to remember Tipler. I'd start with The Physics of Immortality and then his
just out book entitled The Physics of Christianity. I know, I know, don't jump all over me!
Anyway, great show as usual, and I continue to put The Paracast at the very top of my list. Kim

A thought about the Roswell Festival. There were plenty of antennas going around and lots of sideshow fun, which I don't think is all that bad as I've previously espoused.

However, Nick Redfern mentioned the smaller crowds at the convention center, indeed most of those lectures had between 50 and 150 people in attendance, one thing to note, however, they didn't tend to be the same people over and over again in attendance. There were some regulars but the crowd changed quite a bit. I had the same problem myself, there were so many lectures going on at the same time between the workshops held at a seperate location in the convention center, the ufo museum lectures and workshops etc., that there were far more fairly serious people there than was readily apparent.

Also I should mention that the conference crowds for the ufo museum were quite a bit higher than the convention center, the nightly round table discussion(Sat. night was Friedman, Cary, Schmitt and Jesse Marcel Jr.) were drawing between 3-500 people at the museum(probably because of the cheaper ticket costs). For instance at the same time as Nick Redferns Saturday evening lecture, which had around 50 to 100 people, Dr. Maccabee was presenting at the museum in front of around 200 people. In addition Yvonne Smith was in another room at the museum presenting and there was a workshop going on at the convention center all at the same time. So while there was still a minority of the 35k going to the conferences I would estimate that a couple of thousand of them were there to attend conferences and lectures trying to find some semblance of truth.

Thats pretty much just FYI, as far as the quality of the lecturers etc. I could go on all day. But from what Nick said it appeared on the show to be smaller than what it actually was for actual conference attendees.

Btw, can we not call Dr. Macabee a bona fide scientist? I do understand your(Kim 323) point with the others but he's about as close as we get. All in all another great show, I actually really like the round table shows, it's interesting to get that perspective of what researchers think of each other and the subject.

Thanks, Mike, and I do agree about Bruce's scientific credentials.
I would like to see more scientists, especially Peter Sturrock if he would
come on The Paracast. Of all the podcasts I listen to, I think
Gene and David would do the best job with him. Oh, and I
was appalled at my misspelling of "remonstrances" in my post
that started this thread. Due to what I do for a living, it is
especially crucial that I spell correctly! And the word I used
isn't even a word. I just don't want fellow members to think
I'm an idiot! Kim

Kim again, hopefully not ad nauseum. Hey, "remonstrations" IS a bona fide
word after all! So I'm not an idiot. Kim

kim323, ahem... you are still sort of an idiot. please do not use carriage returns. :)

Dear fellow members who have given me remonstrations/remonstrances
about not using carriage returns: I AM an idiot, I agree, in that area!
Please tell me what you mean. You mean I don't need to hit the space
bar between words, or do you mean I don't need to use the enter
button to start a new line, or both? Or neither? Remember, you're
talking to a techno-idiot. Thanks. Kim

It means that you do NOT have to hit the Return/Enter key to generate a new line break. Just type normally, the forum software will take care of the rest.

Everyone chill out, please.

And has no one commented on the fact that Mac Tonnies was doing the voice of a giraffe during the interview?

And what's up with that Redfern guy and his weird French accent?

And that Ritzmann dude, is it me, or did he sound kinda German?

And Gene is kinda losing it, he kept sending me Skype IMs during the interview, asking me what I like on my pizza.

NO PINEAPPLE, Gene, how many times do I have to tell you!? NO ANCHOVIES OR FRUIT ON MY PIZZA, DAMMIT!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Kim323 said:
Dear fellow members who have given me remonstrations/remonstrances
about not using carriage returns: I AM an idiot, I agree, in that area!
Please tell me what you mean. You mean I don't need to hit the space
bar between words, or do you mean I don't need to use the enter
button to start a new line, or both? Or neither? Remember, you're
talking to a techno-idiot. Thanks. Kim

I was just trying to be helpful - I suppose I was being selfish really, because all you're really doing is causing your posts to format incorrectly, but they still perfectly readable.

I'd never call anyone an idiot just because they are not familiar with a piece of technology - you only need to press the 'return' key (usually twice) to leave a blank line *between paragraphs*.

Use the 'preview' button to ensure that your post is formatted correctly before submitting it.

David Biedny said:
It means that you do NOT have to hit the Return/Enter key to generate a new line break. Just type normally, the forum software will take care of the rest.

Everyone chill out, please.

And has no one commented on the fact that Mac Tonnies was doing the voice of a giraffe during the interview?

And what's up with that Redfern guy and his weird French accent?

And that Ritzmann dude, is it me, or did he sound kinda German?

And Gene is kinda losing it, he kept sending me Skype IMs during the interview, asking me what I like on my pizza.

NO PINEAPPLE, Gene, how many times do I have to tell you!? NO ANCHOVIES OR FRUIT ON MY PIZZA, DAMMIT!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

What about chicken and cookie dough?

It was an okay show but I have to question the value of such episodes. Ultimately it boils down to something like:

David: We don't actually know anything.

Guests: No, we don't.

David: But, on the plus side, those other guys who claim they DO know something, don't know anything either.

Guests: No, they don't.

David: So, if we know one thing it's...

Gene: David, before your sentence is completed...

(cut to commercial)

Gene: And we're back. So David, you were saying we know something?

David: Yes Gene, that we know nothing.

Guests: I agreee

... and so on and so on...

Hey, Gene.
Any chance you could fit a panic/dead air button every time David channels the ghosts of Robin Williams' "comedy" voices?

Robin Williams is a bad man

I have to agree with the Cap'n again. The show was good, but, nothing really transpired. One thing that did "grind my gears" was David's rehashing of the comments made by Friedman during the previous Betty/Barney Hill show. Yes, obviously Stanton was trying to get people to buy the book he helped research/write and the strange refusal by Stanton to answer the question regarding extraction of fluids from Barney Hill bugged me too. However, I remember some shows in the past where David and Gene were very much in the pro-Friedman camp. (I think that there were two episodes where you guys had him on.)

Hey, if you guys are going to insist that Bruce Macabee (sp?), a physicist, is a credible expert then conversely, Stanton Friedman, a physicist, should also be given the same credibility. I wonder what will happen when Macabee has a book to sell if you guys interview him? We all have mortgages to pay, groceries to buy and books to sell, as evidenced by the plugs given to Mr. Redfern and Mr. Tonnies at the end of the show. Just some food for thought.

Loose Leaf Tea said:
Hey, Gene.
Any chance you could fit a panic/dead air button every time David channels the ghosts of Robin Williams' "comedy" voices?

Robin Williams is a bad man

Robin is fine so long as he isn't trying to be funny.

We absolutely appreciate the hard work that Stanton Friedman has done over many years, and I usually try to remember to point this out when I say something about his appearances on our show. Like anyone else, he has his good moments and his less than stellar moments, and his appearance on the show recently left a slightly bad taste on my mind. The Paracast is pro-Friedman, but I defend my right to occasionally express frustration with some of his statements. I suppose I sometimes vent that frustration in less-than-constructive ways, but I'm a flawed human being, unlike Gene. :)

And as far as the reality of having to make a living, don't remind me - it's not like we're raking in the dough with this show. It's a true labor of love at this point, and I'm sure that if we ever find a way to make it pay our bills, many of you will shower us with abuse and complaints. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Welcome to life in da big city.

Robin Williams - well, he's certainly made a nice little fortune not being funny. I should be so lucky. And having devoted months of my life to working on his masterpiece, "Hook", I've earned the right to sometimes channel his madness. George Lucas told me so, so take it up with him if it annoys you.

And remember the Ewoks. Mighty Ewoks with pita sandwiches made from milk. Uncle George bathes in champagne, thanks to your belief in Ewoks.

Oy, I need my tea before I type in the morning. Damned Ewoks.

I'll make it all up to y'all soon with a story about UFOs that I've been saving. It's a good one.

SnakeOil said:
Been saving it for a rainy day, have you?

Nope, saving it for the right chicken soup recipe.

And now that I've found the perfect form of garlic - interdimensional garlic clovelets from Venus - I will fold in the experience, and add salt. And quark paste. And beef. Argentinian beef, made from turkey giblets and ginger ale.

Buenos Aires, get ready, here I come.

:p

It's kind of funny sometimes listening to you guys, Gene the voice of reason and all that is perfect in the universe, and the half cracked cowboy 2,000 miles away from him he has to reign in. I love you guys, but thats how it seems sometimes, lol.

And I'm not knocking you completely David, you have some great ideas and I enjoy listening to them, but I think you'd have to admit you get excited sometimes. Couldn't be a better pairing of people, we all want to hear what David has to say but if he was left to his own devices I'm not sure how scary it might get on the program.

Back