• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Quantum entanglement and the observer

quantum

Paranormal Novice
It seems us the observers effect reality .Now if we are effecting what we see then its not much of a leap to say that includes the paranormal. Some important questions are below. If anyone can answer please do so.

Has anyone blind had a paranormal event?
Has anyone after getting brain damage had a paranormal event? the things experienced must not be explained by the damage itself.

It seems us the observers effect reality .Now if we are effecting what we see then its not much of a leap to say that includes the paranormal. Some important questions are below. If anyone can answer please do so.

Has anyone blind had a paranormal event?
Has anyone after getting brain damage had a paranormal event? the things experienced must not be explained by the damage itself.
Sure observers have an effect on reality. If an animal sees you observing it, it will often get spooked. If a thief sees you observing them they may run for it. If you are driving and observe a red signal light at an intersection you are approaching, you will probably try to stop your car. These kinds of observations affect your reality all the time. However if you're getting into the woo promoted by purveyors of quantum consciousness, that's a whole other issue. The so-called observer effect with respect to quantum events ( e.g. the double slit experiment ) have been misrepresented by modern day mystics, and often by pop-science as well.

Ufology I know its hard to believe,it goes against common sense but it is fact. The observer effect has been repeated and proven to be fact, but the reason why it changes is unknown. Please watch the above BBC documentary for more information, and I am sure there a published papers in science journals for you to read if you wish.

An interesting concept, what about those that are labeled as Mentally ill or insane....those that hear and see things the regular person cant but are labelled ill due to it. Just because they not a known medium, but can sit in a corner and talk to themselves, how do we know they really not talking to something that is there, that wont communicate with the rest of us.

Oakenwulf what you have said is to me very important, but very dangerous.What I mean is to give mentally ill people false hope. That being said I dare to say we must explore what you have said and yes I would put it in the list of questions but with a warning. My other questions are easier to deal with and please if anyone can please do so.

Ufology I know its hard to believe,it goes against common sense but it is fact. The observer effect has been repeated and proven to be fact, but the reason why it changes is unknown. Please watch the above BBC documentary for more information, and I am sure there a published papers in science journals for you to read if you wish.

I know what you're saying, and I've done my homework. So please try to bear with me and hopefully you'll be glad you did. The video you posted is another one of those pop-science documentaries that is entertaining and I've seen several others similar to it. This one gets a lot of things right, and if you watch it really closely, it is non-committal and ambiguous about the so-called observer effect ( that observing causes the wave function to collapse ). At one point he mentions the drug doing "hippie physicists" ( 47:38 ) who wrote "crazy hippie books that mixed quantum mechanics with eastern mysticism" ( 47:45 ) and how they associated Bohr's ideas with ESP, telepathy and other paranormal phenomena. Their "hippie New Age style physics" ( 48:15 ) was basically the birth of Quantum Woo.

However, when we remove the woo and look at the actual experiments that are purported to prove the observer effect, we soon find that the outcomes have nothing to do with the presence of an observer, which is typically interpreted by purveyors of quantum woo to be an actual person watching what is happening in the experiment. I first discovered this when I started looking into what kind of machines they build that can fire a single electron or photon at a time, and at other experiments, not unlike the one toward the end of the video that uses lasers, filters, and detectors.

It turns out that human observation, and hence our consciousness, has nothing to do with the outcomes of the experiments. In fact, in some single particle experiments it's impossible for anyone to observe the experiment in action because it takes place inside a sealed machine and the results are sent electronically to a readout. So there is no observer. The experimenter doesn't even have to be in the room. But even if the machine wasn't sealed, it's fairly obvious that humans cannot possibly look down into the workings of the experiment and observe individual particles as they go by because what would happen is that the particle would get trapped in the observer's retina, it's energy converted to bioelectrical impulses, and it would never make it to the detector at all.

So what then is really going on? It turns out that it's not observation in the sense that the New Age purveyors of Quantum Woo promote that is having the effect, but rather, it's the measurement of the flow of particles, by the introduction of a detector. To impress this further, you can look at the experiment toward the end of the video and you will notice a series of prisms and detectors and filters. At no time does the host's act of observing the experiment have any impact on the experiment whatsoever. These experiments have been misappropriated by numerous purveyors of Quantum Woo, including ones who claim to have scientific credentials. Fortunately the host in your video sums up in the end that we still don't understand what makes the experiments turn out the way they do.

I don't pretend to have the answer to those questions either, however more recently I made some progress when I ran across an article that said that photons that bounce off surfaces like mirrors don't actually bounce off like a billiard ball off the rail of a billiard table, but are absorbed and re-emitted. This means that every reflector in the final experiment is actually sending out a photon that is different from the one that was sent at the start, and therefore the whole premise of the experiment is flawed. It's flawed because it's assumes that if Einstein was correct, then the particles that started out are entangled and therefore should have predictable states that can be measured by detectors at the ends of the experiment. However this cannot happen if the photons that reach the end aren't the same ones that started out.

I hope this gives you some food for thought and sets you on more stable ground with respect to, "Quantum Entanglement and the Observer" ;) . Below are some related videos that have been posted elsewhere, but are included here again in one spot for convenience:

Last edited:
Hello Ufology I am sorry but your posted videos have nothing to do with what I am saying. I am sorry I must of not got my points across fully.Thats my fault. Please refer to published science papers on the matter as I can not explain any better.

Hello Ufology I am sorry but your posted videos have nothing to do with what I am saying. I am sorry I must of not got my points across fully.Thats my fault. Please refer to published science papers on the matter as I can not explain any better.
The title and OP talk about quantum entanglement and affecting reality simply by observing. This in turn suggests that it has something to do with the observer effect, and that in turn seems reinforced by the video you posted that gets into the double slit experiment and others. So if that's not what you are talking about, then it is you who needs to clarify what you are talking about. No scientific paper will clarify for me what you are talking about. Only you can do that. Though I might be able to assist you to some degree.

But again, just in case you are talking about the observer effect, in the sense that a conscious observer affects reality because of this effect, then you don't understand the observer effect. BTW I have read many articles and watched many videos, so I don't need to watch any more to make those determinations. If you don't agree that a conscious observer is irrelevant to the observer effect, then you need to be able to explain why the effect takes place either with or without a conscious observer present. Simple as that.

The videos I posted may not be exactly what you are talking about, but they do expose how New Age Quantum Mystics and such misrepresent the observer effect and quantum physics in general to promote their woo. If you're interested in getting at the truth rather than believing in the woo, then I thought you might find them interesting.

BTW to answer your questions, we'd need to know what you mean by a "paranormal event" and "brain damage" and how you would determine if the experience either resulted from or did not result from the damage. For example people claim to have had paranormal experiences while under the influence of drugs, even when those drugs don't kill brain cells, they still cause chemical stress. Is that "damage"? And how can we separate the experience from the drug ( or any other cause of damage ) as a causal factor for the experience. That seems impossible.

Last edited:
The title and OP talk about quantum entanglement and affecting reality simply by observing. This in turn suggests that it has something to do with the observer effect, and that in turn seems reinforced by the video you posted that gets into the double slit experiment and others. So if that's not what you are talking about, then it is you who needs to clarify what you are talking about. No scientific paper will clarify for me what you are talking about. Only you can do that. Though I might be able to assist you to some degree.

But again, just in case you are talking about the observer effect, in the sense that a conscious observer affects reality because of this effect, then you don't understand the observer effect. BTW I have read many articles and watched many videos, so I don't need to watch any more to make those determinations. If you don't agree that a conscious observer is irrelevant to the observer effect, then you need to be able to explain why the effect takes place either with or without a conscious observer present. Simple as that.

The videos I posted expose how New Age Quantum Mystics and such misrepresent the observer effect and quantum physics in general to promote their woo.
I will say that I am not interested in new age ideas. You will see as time goes by that I am in fact a person who does not believe in god or the soul. So I hope that clears that up for you. As far a quantum mechanics go I believe there are useful tools to be used. I can not debate any further on the details of quantum mechanics as I am not a scientist and it gets away from my questions which should be of interest as you could take away quantum mechanic's and still have an interesting area of study when it comes to the paranormal events so many of us are having.

I will say that I am not interested in new age ideas. You will see as time goes by that I am in fact a person who does not believe in god or the soul. So I hope that clears that up for you. As far a quantum mechanics go I believe there are useful tools to be used. I can not debate any further on the details of quantum mechanics as I am not a scientist and it gets away from my questions which should be of interest as you could take away quantum mechanic's and still have an interesting area of study when it comes to the paranormal events so many of us are having.
Let me put it another way on my use of quantum mechanics and why I wish to debate no further on the detail. I am sure that a rainbow is white light being split by water droplets in the sky and that that is a fact of science that has been pier reviewed and published as provable and repeatable,but I could not show you exactly how this is done and I would not be of much good on getting into details with you.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. You seemed to be asking if anyone has had a "blind paranormal event" presumably, because blind people don't observe things, and observation and reality are tied to quantum entanglement in the title. So you're looking for relationships there. If I have that part right, a better question that may serve the same purpose would be: Do the physics experiments involving quantum entanglement and the observer effect have the same outcome regardless of whether or not anyone is watching the experiment? The answer is: Yes. The person doing the experiment could be blind or have perfect vision and the experiments would turn out the same each time. Whether or not there is an actual observer has nothing to do with the outcome.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. You seemed to be asking if anyone has had a "blind paranormal event" presumably, because blind people don't observe things, and observation and reality are tied to quantum entanglement in the title. So you're looking for relationships there. If I have that part right, a better question that may serve the same purpose would be: Do the physics experiments involving quantum entanglement and the observer effect have the same outcome regardless of whether or not anyone is watching the experiment? The answer is: Yes. The person doing the experiment could be blind or have perfect vision and the experiments would turn out the same each time. Whether or not there is an actual observer has nothing to do with the outcome.
You seem a very bright person and I look forward to more interactions with you.Such talent is hard to find.Thanks ufology.

No problem. Sometimes I come across as argumentative, but it's rarely meant to be confrontational. It's just an age-old way of exploring issues to try to understand them, and I have this irritating habit of wanting to help people out if I think they might be wandering down a path fraught with deception and other perils. Sometimes that upsets them and the whole discussion goes off the rails. Then I feel bad. Thankfully that didn't happen this time :) .

Thanks for the videos. Absolutely amazing. This is about quantum biology, folks, not quantum woo. The question of consciousness possibly influencing reality on a subatomic level doesn't even enter into it.

Back