• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

"Provoking"ghosts as a ghost hunting method

Raevenskye

Seer of All Things Spooky
What do you guys think about ghost hunters provoking ghosts to try to get them angry enough to move something or lay down an EVP? Silliness, or valid method?
If particualr ghosts/spirits are sentient, and generally nice, is it ethical?

I don't think it's right, and it certainly rude.

Would you go into a bank and do something obnoxious to get a reaction from a bank teller? Same thing, really.

LOL i have always wondered this. But as you will remember at the beginning of ghost busters when they try this "1, 2, 3... GET HER!!!".. the ghost actually got pretty pissed and turned into something really evil looking and they ran for their life.

In the end, it is rude... but effective LOL

I think it's rude too. If a spirit is already frustrated, then why try to frustrate it more? I've never had to use this method to make contact, personally, but maybe it works for some people. I'd hate to think I was harrassing someone's 100 year old dead grandma tho!

I get a good laugh when that one particular guy does that on the TAPS show.

This has bugged me too.

If the whole premise is that some ghosts are actually aware, rather than just energetic memory, why piss 'em off and run like scared rabbits? Anyone really trying to investigate the phenomenon might get better results by trying to stay in contact.

Instead the only premise for the show seems to be that the ghost hunters get to say, "Yeah, you got 'em" or "Nope, nothing here." Gets old and it is rude. I'd like to see investigators try to have sustained contact or sustained investigation at the very least. The caretakers or owners of the haunted sites seem to have more respect than the hunters.

i think its a valid "stimulus" to use in the course of a valid experiment.
its all in the intent, its no ruder than putting perfume in a lab rabbits eyes to test for reactions

People might be less inclined to piss off ghosts if they get somebody like Charles Manson responding.

Perfume in a lab rabbit's eyes is rude too. Cruel even.

I guess it's that ghost hunters seem to take their subjects seriously, then treat them like they would the local retarded child. So if a guy doesn't understand ghosts, it's okay to be rude. Neighborhood bully kind of thing. Cheap thrills.

Probably a silly thing to do i believe' ghosts if they exist are above provocation'' That is what i hope at least, or has the afterlife got the same mundane attitudes we have here.:eek:

Why would people resort to provoking if they haven't achieved success communicating any other way?

I find the whole provoking pretty funny. Plenty of people won't attempt it because they "respect" the spirits. Yet, how many people have genuinely communicated regardless? None? I'm sure there are people who will say they have communicated but that all falls into personal belief rather than proof.

I say...provoke those suckers. I mean why not...they aren't answering anyway so why not have fun with it.

I haven't watched TAPS in a few years so I haven't seen the provoking but I'll take everyone's word for it's entertainment value. The second anyone mentions TAPS my brain goes into sleep mode.

I have yet to see anyone in the real world provoke a ghost. If a ghost is there, or isn't there, it shouldn't make any difference because in my mind, a ghost like anything else will do what it wants when it wants to.

I actually bought most of the components to make one of those Spiricom Machines. When I have it assembled, I'll post some pictures.

What do you guys think about ghost hunters provoking ghosts to try to get them angry enough to move something or lay down an EVP? Silliness, or valid method?
If particualr ghosts/spirits are sentient, and generally nice, is it ethical?

They may have to reconsider this tactic., if or when something really nasty follows them home.

I was at this haunted house once. I called Kal korff in, just to talk. 30 demons left. Kal didn't even get to cook. His mullet scared them away.

I think that this is very Dodgy ground.

It's all well and good Provoking something for a Response but what if it latches on to you and follows you home and you cant get rid of it ?

Ive heard stories of people being followed by spirits before even though they were not provoking said spirits.

You should treat this subject with the respect it deserves.

I think that this is very Dodgy ground.

It's all well and good Provoking something for a Response but what if it latches on to you and follows you home and you cant get rid of it ?

Ive heard stories of people being followed by spirits before even though they were not provoking said spirits.

You should treat this subject with the respect it deserves.

Firstly you have to prove they exist. Then prove they can latch on to you.

Stories are well and dandy but honestly, I am yet to even find a genuine case of a "spirit" following someone home. I've seen plenty of crank B-Grade acting psychics who have claimed to have an attachment though. I am not convinced at all so I'll give respect where it's due....when it's due.

personally i dont think there is any need to apply "morals" to the question.
the universe ticks away happily regardless of mans ideas of right and wrong. these constructs are created by us, for us. they only apply to us, because they are little more than a shared fantasy.

if an action will produce the desired result, the action is effective.

if it provides accurate data then why not, as for danger to researchers, well thats part of the job. bears are real we know this because ppl including researchers get eaten by bears now and then.

in the course of filling out the body of knowledge on many subjects there are dangers, researchers get injured or killed sometimes but the quest for knowledge goes on.

as the unfortunate lab rat knows, if the line of research is valid, morality can be manipulated

I agree that this tactic is rude. Unless it is something that the ghost or ghosts use in their methods of getting attention I think more respect should be shown. I do notice that in hauntings the owners/renters of the homes do seem to have more respect for the beings than the hunters I have to kind of wonder why that is. Well I think this is a very interesting topic and before today I never really thought about it but now I don't think it should be done.

Back