• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Praise for this Forum

Ron Collins

Curiously Confused
So, I just spent (read wasted) who knows how much time on the ATS forum. What a giant pooch screw of a forum. It is a dark and dank interface with relentless textual sensory overload. The ad placement is annoying and gives the site a Persian Bazar meets Hellraiser feel.

I like the bright and clean interface of this forum. The easy to pilot navigation, and well organized manner in which this forum is constructed is refreshing. The concise topic overview is a rare find. Most forums have 37 catagories that encompass the same things. The ad placement is testefull and unintrusive. All in all, a very pleaseing user experiance. Very low stress.

As a second note, I find the average contributors of this forum to be lightyears more informed and grounded than their counterparts on ATS. After spending time there, I find it refreshing to return here.

Just thought I would give some kudos.

I managed about 100 posts on ATS before I requested that they delete my account. I found that there are some really aggressive people on there that are not interested in an opposing point of view, they just want to crush the user who posted it.

Some of the antics of the moderators really p*ssed me off too. It's a lot nicer here. :)

Perhaps, the problem is a generic one - when too many users frequent the same forums the potential for 'conflict' is a lot higher.

Rick Deckard said:
I found that there are some really aggressive people on there that are not interested in an opposing point of view, they just want to crush the user who posted it.
I agree. I'm all for sifting through the crap to find the occasional nugget of fact, but the whole "pics or it didn't happen" mentality of some members just screams closed-mindedness. This is definitely a less hostile environment.
Some of the antics of the moderators really p*ssed me off too. It's a lot nicer here. :)
I've noticed some of this, too. There also seems to be some double-standards going on as pertaining to who can or can't post fiction as reality.

Perhaps, the problem is a generic one - when too many users frequent the same forums the potential for 'conflict' is a lot higher.
As is the potential of being drowned in a torrent of, shall we say, questionable topics.

Thanks, folks, it's good to know that you seem to find this an interesting place to hang out.

So it's really interesting to note that John Lear has been erased from the ATS site, as well as wikipedia. Good riddance - this guy has done more to harm the sober discussion of UFOs than, well, take your pick of demented lunatics. Oy.

As far as the level of discourse on the Paracast forums, I feel it's a step about most of what's out there - it's a bit depressing to see the level most people sink to on the web. Anyone ever read the YouTube comments for videos? Scary, scary stuff.

And what's up with the dark screens and low-contrast type? Anyone see the Mysterious Universe forums? Why does anyone choose those color schemes, it's almost impossible to read.

dB

David Biedny said:
Anyone ever read the YouTube comments for videos? Scary, scary stuff.
You got that right!!
Every time I read those comments, I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes:
"Humans-do they really deserve a planet?"

Wow. John Lear has been nuked from the site. Awesome. What a nut job. Good to hear that they are doing a little house cleaning over there.

As for these forums. They are indeed built pretty well. One of the more usable and clean BBs around. Nice work whoever is doing it.

RonCollins said:
So, I just spent (read wasted) who knows how much time on the ATS forum. What a giant pooch screw of a forum. It is a dark and dank interface with relentless textual sensory overload. The ad placement is annoying and gives the site a Persian Bazar meets Hellraiser feel.

I like the bright and clean interface of this forum. The easy to pilot navigation, and well organized manner in which this forum is constructed is refreshing. The concise topic overview is a rare find. Most forums have 37 catagories that encompass the same things. The ad placement is testefull and unintrusive. All in all, a very pleaseing user experiance. Very low stress.

As a second note, I find the average contributors of this forum to be lightyears more informed and grounded than their counterparts on ATS. After spending time there, I find it refreshing to return here.

Just thought I would give some kudos.

Thank you so much.

As to the forum, I'm happy to spread the praise around to whom it belongs. First, of course, to Chris Boulton, the lead developer behind MyBB, for making it the absolute best, and easiest to use open source forum software around. We're basically using the standard product, along with a few mods, to add some neat little features, such as the ability to expand a text box.

Also let's thank Rich Gunn, one of our Administrators, who did the dark and dirty work to handle translating this forum from another application, and then making sure our special themes functioned properly. That's not an easy process, but he knows his coding, and so was able to get it done with only a modest amount of agony. :D

But, as David says, the forum lives and dies by its members, and for that, we are grateful to all of you for making this the best paranormal forum on the planet.

I also found ATS way too much of a wade through hysteria, tripe and incoherent ramblings to find the odd gem of information. It was an exhausting and unrewarding experience for the most part. As for John Lear, Springer at ATS indicated that it was John's decision to discontinue posting at ATS, so the mods moved all his threads to their skunkworks section. Theories abound as to why John made that decision, not that it really matters.

This forum cannot be compared to ATS as they are in entirely different leagues, this one being SEVERAL notches above ATS. Thanks to everyone for keeping the discourse intelligent, informative and lively. This place rocks! :D

lotusland said:
This forum cannot be compared to ATS as they are in entirely different leagues, this one being SEVERAL notches above ATS. Thanks to everyone for keeping the discourse intelligent, informative and lively. This place rocks! :D

Perhaps we should post 'bouncers' on the doors - keep the riff-raff out :)

HEY, NO JEANS!! (that's jeans not Genes) :p

Wow. John Lear was an absolute joke. His paranoid fantasies concerning all-encompassing technological power (which, whatever he said, seemed to carry an undercurrent of power worship) were irritating in the extreme in their absolute lack of any credible evidence; while the general mocking contempt with which he threw his grenades evidenced a contempt for the serious research community (such as it is).

(If I was a Freudian I might claim that the whole thing seemed to be somehow redolent of a man living in the shadow of a powerful and dominating father figure - superficially critical of power while magnifying and secretly worshiping its capabilities;).)

RonCollins said:

There are ads on ATS, who knew? :eek:

You need to stop using IE and get a real browser like Firefox, and get the Adblock Plus add-on. You can say goodbye to their pesty mess quickly.

David Biedny said:
So it's really interesting to note that John Lear has been erased from the ATS site, as well as wikipedia. Good riddance - this guy has done more to harm the sober discussion of UFOs than, well, take your pick of demented lunatics. Oy.

I have to admit, I think I was part of the reason...and I'm proud of it!
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread329253/pg1

Rick Deckard said:
I managed about 100 posts on ATS before I requested that they delete my account. I found that there are some really aggressive people on there that are not interested in an opposing point of view, they just want to crush the user who posted it.

I have been banned a few times there, they can't stop me!
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread267335/pg1

Their new Friend/Foe system does help you weed out some smart peeps from loons. But I still spend more time here where less "Ignorants" reside.

David Biedny said:
Thanks, folks, it's good to know that you seem to find this an interesting place to hang out.

I have not been able to find any threads on this site regarding John Lear. I am sure some of you have thoughts, comments on John Lear. I was hoping someone could start a tread. Lear's stories are so fascinating, that I wish they were true. However its too bad he's totally insane.

As it turns out, Biedny might have something to do with Lear's banning:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread331804/pg4#pid3969553

"On Monday morning January 28 Skeptic Overlord bans me for suspicion of fabricating Ritzmann and Biedny quotes. "

Miah said:
As it turns out, Biedny might have something to do with Lear's banning:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread331804/pg4#pid3969553

"On Monday morning January 28 Skeptic Overlord bans me for suspicion of fabricating Ritzmann and Biedny quotes. "

And that post by Lear goes right to the heart of the matter - he's not an honest person.

Jeff & I did indeed make posts that questioned Lear, and even berated him - one of my comments was "there's no fool like an old fool". And I stand behind that statement - Lear has done nothing but muddy up the waters of sober UFO debate for way too long. For him to claim that he was the only one banned is bullshit - Jeff & I were banned as well, and all of us were given our access back after a couple of days. Lear was apparently trying to bail out, and conveniently used us an excuse.

The bottom line is that Lear works very hard to make legitimate discussion of the topic impossible, and that bothers me. As anyone who has listened to the show knows, I make my feelings known without much hesitation. Most of the time, at least.

dB

I agree 100% with you, I have never understood why they allowed that nut and that Sleeper BS to go on, yet saying they "Deny Ignorance", my ass.

And if anyone wants to gleam a look at the nuts that make up ATS, one need not look further than the replies in that thread of people defending him, it brought them out of the woodwork. :)

ATS added an interesting new disclaimer to the top of the forum:

"This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historic and contemporary events related to extraterrestrial encounters, UFO sightings, and speculation about related subjects. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of the existence of extraterrestrials and the related conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com's tradition of supporting the examination of the "extraterrestrial phenomenon" on the related conspiracy theories, cover-ups, and scandals."

Sounds like instead of trying to "Deny Ignorance" they want to stop people from attacking their ignorants.

So the same folks who bitch about government sensorship on these topics have come full circle. Interesting. Glad I never book marked the site.

Miah said:
Sounds like instead of trying to "Deny Ignorance" they want to stop people from attacking their ignorants.

I dunno about that. I'm not a fan of ATS, but buried in the depths of this forum, I have stated in the past that I really don't see the point of 'nay sayers' coming here. I likened it to visiting a religious forum and stating 'God doesn't exist'. What's the point of doing that except as a 'trolling' exercise?

There has to be a 'starting point' to the discussion and the starting point of these forums is that "something weird is going on, let's explore *all* avenues and try to get to the bottom of it". Now if you come on here with the attitude that "nothing is going on and you're all deluded or on the make" then you're not gonna win many friends.

This is a discussion board, not a mud-slinging arena (although at times we all catch and throw a bit of mud)...

I'll have to throw in that, while I still think I prefer the old version, the forum itself for the Paracast rocks. I, too, prefer the easy-to-read Paracast message board, with its bright colors, and bright posters. ATS seems to have lower standards.
I enjoy posting and sharing opinions, and answering questions with people that are generally highly intelligent and can SPELL!

The YouTube point is well taken. It seems to be a haven for racists, anti-Semites, and people that form opinions based on little to no information. The Paracast message board is nearly always interesting, fun to be involved with, and definitely a cut above most of the web--ATS especially.

When I occasionally listen to Coast, I always cringe when they have open lines, or when callers make it in when they have a guest that I want to listen to. These people don't compare to the posters here in the forum. They make the rest of us (in the UFO community) look bad. When people talk about aliens looking down and seeing the human race as a bunch of tribal warfare-oriented monkeys, the Coast audience seems to me to be who they're talking about.

John Lear has always been the stuff of ridicule. The way the Coast audience fall all over themselves to flatter him and give him props for "calling it like he sees it" is pathetic. Every time he goes on Coast, he talks about his gold mine.

Which he no longer owns.

What's the point?

Oh, and Dulce. The underground bases at Dulce.

Which he can't find.

I mean, for fuck's sake--what's the big deal? They guy's dad invented the leisure jet, and he has thousands of hours of flight time. Whoop-de-doo! He's a rich kid with no legacy other than what he makes up. Notice how he never has a book to promote, a film, anything? What's his real contribution to the UFO field? Fanning the flames of bullshit conspiracy, that's it. He never has anything to say except, "Dan Burisch is telling the truth." "Project Serpo is real". "The Drones that Linda's been reporting on are spot-on." "The aliens have had bases on the dark side of the moon, and the U.S. secret space program lands there all the time." What a steaming load.

The guy is a pathological liar and needs attention. The more he gets, the more it infects the real efforts to unravel the UFO mystery, muddies the waters, and takes gullible people's eyes off the ball of the real story.

John Lear needs to go away, forever.

We should start a bin for people that are "no longer relevant" to the UFO problem/mystery/whatever, and toss those in there that we've collectively decided are no longer worth our run time to think about.

Burisch. Bushman. Sereda. Meier. Wendelle Stevens, Michael Lindemann, Michael Horn, Ed Walters, etc.--We need a special "round file" for the people that we can all agree have contributed nothing but specious claims and ZERO evidence to the conversation. If people log on and want to go have a look at what we've said in the past about Lear and these other nimrods, we will have a dustbin that they can rummage around in.

In the meantime, let's us get on with the business of separating out the truth from the fiction, the good from the garbage, and not waste any more time on collectively trashing these types.

Our spending time talking about them at all--even to say we think they're full of it--is exactly what they want. We're spending energy and CPU run time thinking about them instead of delving deeper into the heart of the UFO enigma.

Mods: Create a dustbin file, start a poll on each of these jokers, and if they get voted in, by a majority after a given amount of time, users will have to "Enter the Dustbin" to rummage around after them if they really want to pursue the lower-quality "personalities".

That will leave the rest of us free to deal with what we feel is the rest of the story--and to allow us to get at the heart of the matter with more and better guests, cases and stories, and not be distracted at the change of the wind with this utter malarkey.

Back