• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Pop up page redirects, CONSTANTLY.

Jeff Davis

Paranormal Adept
Anybody else having issues with this on the forum? Whenever I click on almost anything from time to time I get redirected to another page and just have to hit the back arrow. This has been going on for a 1-2 weeks now. A little annoying. I have ran combofix and malwarebytes and such...not detectable on my end.

try ad block, if that doesnt stop it, then you have a problem that the anti-spyware has missed, however the redirect should happen all the time for that, firstly i would restore back to a date before it started happening, have you downloaded any software lately, it could have come bundled, who reads the terms etc, we just tick the a box and install, most of us.

Yep, I've been having that too lately, but not at the moment. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the URL, but my internet protection kept saying that it was potentially dangerous.

try ad block, if that doesnt stop it, then you have a problem that the anti-spyware has missed, however the redirect should happen all the time for that, firstly i would restore back to a date before it started happening, have you downloaded any software lately, it could have come bundled, who reads the terms etc, we just tick the a box and install, most of us.

Guys,
I just took an hour and ran the latest versions of ComboFix and Malwarebytes. I had just done so at the end of last week. Both updated vigorously and CLEANED HOUSE. I will report back if I have anymore redirects or popups. It was very strange. I use the emoticons when posting. Anytime I would click on that feature, it would redirect. Sometimes when I just clicked within the respond box it would do the same. The last redirect took me to a BEAUTIFUL young lady who was advertising for a Chinese import dating service. Is there anyway to get back to that one? :p

Your computer has some type of malware burrowed in deep. Cleaning programs simply will not remove the more nasty malwares.

The bestest, fastest solution is to wipe your machine and reinstall the operating system.

I wipe all my machines at least once a year. My wife and daughters bugger them up with all manner of weird stuff.

A reinstall will take about four hours. Less if you practice good backup habits. The speed increase alone is worth it.

Just so this kind of thing doesn't happen in the future, when I fix someone's computer I always install a browser like Firefox or Chrome, IE is just asking for trouble, and make sure I get them the Adblock Plus and NoScript plugins. NoScript can be a bit of a pain at times, you have to manually select which pages you want to allow javascript on, which it remembers, but that's basically only on sites that you want to be able to view videos or you have to fill out forms. I used to recommend Ghostery as well, but Adblock Plus has recently added a module that does basically the same thing.

Using this setup, I can't remember the last time I found a piece of malware or spyware on my computer.

I wish you the best of luck getting it taken care of.

This forum makes heavy use of Javascript. And a large portion of online problems are with Java, not Javascript. The only recent issues on the Mac platform were related to Java, which explains why it's now an optional installation.

This forum makes heavy use of Javascript. And a large portion of online problems are with Java, not Javascript. The only recent issues on the Mac platform were related to Java, which explains why it's now an optional installation.

Right, and with one click I can enable this forum to load Javascript every time, because I trust it, and the ones that I don't trust or just don't know can be set to not load Javascript at all, which is notoriously vulnerable and can be used to install things like redirects, adware and spyware without the end user even realizing. Safest to leave it off by default and turn it on when needed, imho.

You need a credit card to buy songs and other stuff in iTunes, but it otherwise functions without it. So what software are you referring to? Nothing stops you from using another media player app. I don't need a credit card for the now-free iWork and iLife apps. I don't need a credit card number for Safari, or Contacts, or Calendar. I don't need a credit card number to use a Mac.

Tis true a person can kluge an Apple product to make it work without a credit card, but I prefer to avoid that hassle in the first place.

In 1984 I was horrified at the high cost of software for my Apple II. I bought an 8088 next time. I estimate I have saved $40,000 since then by avoiding Apple hardware and software.

It's an aesthetic thing. To each his own.

There's nothing to kludge if you aren't using a credit card. Indeed, so we are in the same place, Apple these days gives its consumer software away, and that includes the OS. Third-party software will have different prices depending on the publisher.

And, by the way, you can pay for iTunes or App Store purchases without a credit card. You can use PayPal, but obviously you have to use something to make those payments if you want to buy software that has a price tag.

But once you buy a new Mac, with its bundled software, you can get on without a credit card, and you can go online and find free software that will allow you to do a lot of things without paying anything extra. There's nothing to force.

So we come back to the beginning. What you say is not about aesthetics. It's about what is true and what isn't.

Yet, I arrive at that same place $40,000 richer than the Apple user. :D

I'm glad to hear Apple is not as proprietary and expensive as in the past. In my opinion, a good direction on their part.

By "aesthetic" I actually meant more "lifestyle" or "paradigm".

Some people prefer to pay more money to live in a walled garden where they pay someone else to sweep their porch, drive their car, and provide their personal protection.

Other people prefer to save that money, and experience greater freedom and self-reliance by learning to accomplish those tasks for themselves.

My daughter's dorm mate is the former. She employs iPod, iPad, iPhone, Macbook, and AppleTV. My daughter employs Sansa player, Samsung Android pad and phone, Dell laptop running KDE, and XMBC for television.

My daughter enjoys the extra cash more than the trendy cocoon. A different paradigm.

For many years, a Mac has been competitive with Windows PC pricing — so long as you compare them with near-identical configurations and bundled software. The high-end Mac Pro workstation is actually one or two thousand dollars cheaper than comparable Windows products, even the home-built models. But Apple has never played the cheap PC game, and never will. There's simply no profit in it as many PC makers have discovered over the years.

Remember, too, that Apple's OS X is built on a solid Unix foundation, which means there are loads of open source apps you can run direct from the command line. You aren't restricted to the regular OS X shell. You can also use virtualization software to run multiple operating systems. Indeed, Apple's Boot Camp, which lets you boot a Mac under Windows, often runs Windows better than a dedicated PC.

But I have nothing against open source operating systems. Our Web server runs a flavor of Linux, CentOS 6.5. It's managed by a dedicated control panel, cPanel, but I also do command line stuff from time to time, so I get some of both worlds.

Back