• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Please Be More Forthcoming

I

interestedINitall

Okay, let me preface by saying that I absolutely adore this podcast. David and Gene are two of a precious few in the paranormal field who ask hard-hitting questions and don't just marvel at any old bit of nonsense thrown their way.

That said, I do have a little problem with the content. On several occasions David and Jeff Ritzman have alluded to experiences and/or theories that may shed some light on what is "really" going on in the UFO/paranormal scene. Unfortunately, whenever they delve they always pull back saying that they're ". . .not ready to get into that just yet." This is extremely frustrating to hear. Yes, David has relayed some fascinating experiences that I still ponder so he is far less "guilty" of this than Jeff but I wish anyone who is booked on the show would either discuss their thoughts in depth and share their theories or just not broach the topic at all. It's very annoying to hear people say something to the effect of "I have some ideas on that but I'm not ready to discuss it just yet, maybe soon." Why not just wait and appear on the show when you ARE ready to discuss it? I almost feel like I'm being sold a bill of goods marked READ MY UPCOMING BOOK. I know that neither David nor Jeff is "selling" anything but you get the gist. This frustration makes one entertain all sorts of possibilities.

Gene has only ever talked about "possibly" having seen a "water elemental" but I wouldn't mind hearing more about that either.

I hope people won't fly off the handle after reading this. As I've stated I'm a huge fan of the show and laud Gene and David whenever and wherever I can. I just think more information is always better than less.

I won't speak for David or Jeff.

I am in disagreement with more info. equaling better than less. Quantity doesn't equate quality.

I've done a tiny bit of radio and will say that when you come on air and wing stuff, quite often it is best to not go into things you haven't in front of you, or spent time wording for a show. Sometimes it's best to wait when you refresh your memory and are more prepared. To not do so can lead to inaccuracies and misinterpretations and rumors. Something this field needs less of not more. I'll touch on why say anything at all then... later. hehe.

Some people simply aren't comfortable with talking to masses of people about personal experiences. This I respect. Just because you won't make fun of them doesn't mean they won't catch hell from others.

You can only say so much about certain things. It is often tactful to not speak about matters that will take a show off course. Some experiences (many actually) open up more questions and therefore more show time. Why say a little then? You have to say something. Should they lie and say that they don't have anything to say when they do?

But if you are speaking of teasing the audience for ratings, that is another matter. From memory, David nor Jeff have done this. Putting off things for when there is more time to delve into them is the impression I have gotten from the one or two times I can recall. I have not listened to every minute of every show however, and only speaking of my take on those that I can recall of course.

A.LeClair said:
I won't speak for David or Jeff.

I've done a tiny bit of radio and will say that when you come on air and wing stuff, quite often it is best to not go into things you haven't in front of you, or spent time wording for a show. Sometimes it's best to wait when you refresh your memory and are more prepared. To not do so can lead to inaccuracies and misinterpretations and rumors. Something this field needs less of not more.

Some people simply aren't comfortable with talking to masses of people about personal experiences. This I respect. Just because you won't make fun of them doesn't mean they won't catch hell from others.

You can only say so much about certain things. It is often tactful to not speak about matters that will take a show off course. Some experiences (many actually) open up more questions and therefore more show time. Why say a little then? You have to say something. Should they lie and say that they don't have anything to say when they do?

But if you are speaking of teasing the audience for ratings, that is another matter. From memory, David nor Jeff have done this. Putting off things for when there is more time to delve into them is the impression I have gotten from the one or two times I can recall. I have not listened to every minute of every show however, and only speaking of my take on those that I can recall of course.

Thanks for the reply but I disagree. I think all of your concerns (organizing one's thoughts, not monopolizing show time, etc.) can be addressed without pussyfooting around a topic. If a topic is broached and a regular isn't ready to discuss it at that time, give a date (or at least on his/her next appearance) on which it WILL be discussed. One of the things I admire so much about the approach of the Paracast is that is seeks to "learn as much as possible - to find out some truth." That can't be done through the coyness (seemingly designed to foster a mystique) displayed by some guests.

You asked if they should just "say nothing" if not prepared to delve. Of course not, but saying something like (I'm not actually quoting here, of course) "I think aliens spring from the stomachs of rabbits born in April, but I'm not ready to go into that right now." is just pointless and quite a disservice to the audience.

Okay, I guess no one cares. It was just something I thought I'd put out there.

I still love the show. :)

I agree interestedinitall, beating around the bush sets my B.S. alarm off so I start listening to sentence structure...repeated words, catch phrases and the like. I use methods I developed myself...I call it psycholinguisticneurosynology.
It is easier if I'm looking at the person so I can read body language too.
Liars inevitably tell on themselves. Listen for double negatives associated with their "experience". Notice if they try to draw the conversation away from the subject. Listen for a change of cadence, or a subtle change in pitch of their voices...the liar's (unless psychotic) throat constricts a bit when telling the lie. Right before the lie you'll notice a change...some stammering...more uhs, and duhs than before.
If the host allows the interviewed to change the subject you'll notice that relief of not being confronted shows itself as a veritable cascade of talkiness.
I'm with you my friend...feet to the fire!
They taste just like chicken!
Cheers!
Moshi

I dunno, I'm clueless about what I havent "revealed", or have teased about. I've pretty much laid my experiences down for all to hear.

Wanna get specific about your allusions? Because I truthfully dont have a clue. I usually do the show with no forethought whatsoever, and David can attest to that. Barring my personal life he and Gene know there's nothing off the table.

So the thing is...

It took me over 25 years to get comfortable with the idea of sharing my experiences with other people. Some of my closest friends have only an inkling of my "paranormal life" and I've been very, very careful in terms of discretion and proper context.

It's true that I have not talked about all of the weird things I've seen and experienced directly, but part of the reason for that is that I'm still gauging how to broach some of this material, and also, I'm constantly evaluating the effects these disclosures will have on my personal, and especially professional, lives. Last year was, by far, the worst year I've had in terms of my overall career, and even expressing _that_ reality openly, could be seen as detrimental to my working life. I'm guessing that some part of the reason that a lot of work has dried up for me, is directly related to me being involved with producing The Paracast, and talking about these topics in a serious way. Unfortunately, in our society, one is usually seen as being less than sane, if expressing an interest in paranormal topics not related to organized religion. If I was a bible thumper, I'm sure my work opportunities would expand, but unfortunately for me, I'm becoming more of a radical in my older age.

The extreme range of paranormal encounters in my life has led me to do The Paracast with Gene, and as I get more comfortable with the role I play in this thing, I will indeed reveal more details of my experiences. This year, I can promise you that we'll have at least two segments covering some rather extreme paranormal stuff I've lived through, with two close friends of mine, both who have agreed to go on the record and share the stories. We're talking some rather wild stuff here, apparitions and gained (not lost) time, so perhaps you can all understand some of my hesitation. Remember, it's my name on the line, so please empathize with my cautious approach, and be patient. In our instant gratification society, we've lost the art of patience to a large degree - witness the anxiety and anger on abovetopsecret.com, with regards to the lag in other O'Hare UFO photos potentially surfacing. Not everything happens snap-snap, and when it comes to sensitive topics like the ones we discuss on The Paracast, things take time to unfold.

dB

David,

Thanks for your reply. It's terrible to hear that your doing the show has had such a detrimental effect on your career. One thing should (should being the operative word) have absolutely nothing to do with the other but people are narrow-minded and - well - stupid. As I wrote in my first post, you've relayed some wonderful experiences already and I'm truly thankful for those. They've sparked a lot of curiosity and debate in my circles and that's invaluable.

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know if I've missed some shows on which you appeared (I don't think so, I've downloaded and listened to all the casts since the premier episode 2/28/06) but the times I've heard you speak I've been riveted by your experiences and your thoughts. The thing I found frustrating is that you seemed to hesitate when you were asked what exactly you thought was going on. I realize that you could no more give a definite answer to that question than you could one like, "Jeff, what exactly is God?" but I'd love to hear your speculation nonetheless. Since we'll probably never KNOW what any of this is (at least not on this plain of existence), I realize that you might not want to adopt an authoritative tone but that's not what I'm asking for. I'd just like to hear what you THINK this is. I've heard you say that you think they're from another dimension and that they're "always here", etc. but I'd like to hear why you think they are interacting with us, what (if anything) they're after, etc., etc. I remember hearing you say that you thought that they were attracted to those who were thinking of them and that those who wanted to see them - would. Perhaps this is the reason you're reluctant to dwell on their particulars. I realize that some might construe that I want to be told what to think. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'd just like to hear what's what from the "horse's mouth" and then formulate my own ideas.

Again, if you've already discussed all of this I apologize for asking you to repeat it and would ask you to direct me to the Paracast shows on which you did. I will gladly go and listen to them again.

David and Jeff,

I can't speak for countless others but I'm certainly willing to wait for your findings on the airport UFO photos. I remember an episode of The Simpsons in which Marge had broken something and asked Homer to fix it. He asked her if she wanted it done "right" or she wanted it done "fast." She replied, "Like most Americans - fast!"

I want it done "right." :)

I understand David's reluctance to disclose all paranormal things that he has experienced. I've personally experienced bizarre things that I'm not sure I'll ever going public with. The negativity associated seems to outweigh the good. It's just the reality of the situation.

As far as Jeff or David's hypothesis regarding UFOs, I suppose like all of us it's constantly evolving. I can tell you mine has changed a great deal from where I was originally. I thought the mere fact I accepted the possibility of UFOs was confirmation of my open-mindedness. Now I believe there is much more to this than I originally considered.

I've never met Jeff or David. But I have a great deal of respect for both of them. It seems, like most of us, they are just seeking answers.

If they decide to share more... keep an open mind. Hopefully yours is much more open then mine was. None of this fits neatly into a box as I once thought.

I will say that I REALLY appreciated David's questions during the Brad Steiger interview. Well done!

jritzmann said:
Man, thats a loooong post. Gimme time to type that up. K?

Hi Jeff,

Thanks! Whether you write it out or discuss it on another show appearance you'll have my full attention.

I look forward to it.

I recall Jeff already dealing with his thoughts on what ufos and the beings are. The show where he talks about the black box he goes into it.

If I were you Jeff, I'd save whatever you type up and maybe link it at your blog page. Then you can refer people to it.

A.LeClair said:
I recall Jeff already dealing with his thoughts on what ufos and the beings are. The show where he talks about the black box he goes into it.

Can you tell me what show that was (by date)? I've listened to all the shows about three or four times and I don't recall that conversation. I'd love to go back and listen. Thanks.

interestedINitall said:
Can you tell me what show that was (by date)? I've listened to all the shows about three or four times and I don't recall that conversation. I'd love to go back and listen. Thanks.

Pretty sure it's the Jan 14th show.

A. LeClair,

Thanks so much for the heads up! I checked out that show again and I did remember it. It was actually the show that inspired this thread. I am glad that I brought it up. I learned a lot about why I wasn't hearing what I wanted and that it can't (and possibly shouldn't) be coaxed.

If Jeff ever decides to write it all out I will certainly read it with great relish.

Thanks to everyone who commented! :)

Wow, does it piss anyone else off that doing The Paracast has negatively affected David's career? I mean, anyone who has actually taken the time to listen to the show would see that both hosts approach the topics with a respectable mixture of caution, curiosity, and thoughtfulness. It's upsetting to see that people can't be more open-minded and even more upsetting to think that what a person does in their private life, however eccentric, should affect how people view the quality of work they can do.

:mad:

Yakuzablitz said:
Wow, does it piss anyone else off that doing The Paracast has negatively affected David's career? I mean, anyone who has actually taken the time to listen to the show would see that both hosts approach the topics with a respectable mixture of caution, curiosity, and thoughtfulness. It's upsetting to see that people can't be more open-minded and even more upsetting to think that what a person does in their private life, however eccentric, should affect how people view the quality of work they can do.

:mad:

What gets me is that we live in a world in which believing in talking snakes, walking on water, and a devil is completely ok, but be open to the possibility we are being visited by some other form of intelligence, in a vast universe and this is a bad thing. Reminds me of a shirt I have. "Beam me up Scotty there's no intelligent life here".

I see you're from NC too. A lot of us here it seems.

interestedINitall said:
A. LeClair,

Thanks so much for the heads up! I checked out that show again and I did remember it. It was actually the show that inspired this thread. I am glad that I brought it up. I learned a lot about why I wasn't hearing what I wanted and that it can't (and possibly shouldn't) be coaxed.

If Jeff ever decides to write it all out I will certainly read it with great relish.

Thanks to everyone who commented! :)

Welcome.

Jeff has a blog now. Last I looked he hasn't typed up anything on his experiences though. Here it is. http://sunrisehasgone.blogspot.com/

He also has his own forum over at ATS.
AboveTopSecret forum: Aliens and UFOs, page 1

Back