• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Paracast Technical Question

nshanks

Paranormal Novice
I just wanted to know if there is an AAC version of the Paracast that I could download?
I usually listen to the show in my car on the way to work, so it can take several days for me to get through an episode.
I'd love to be able to listen to music and come back to the show where I left off instead of having try to scan through and guess where I was (which no easy task on a talk show).

nshanks said:
I just wanted to know if there is an AAC version of the Paracast that I could download?
I usually listen to the show in my car on the way to work, so it can take several days for me to get through an episode.
I'd love to be able to listen to music and come back to the show where I left off instead of having try to scan through and guess where I was (which no easy task on a talk show).

We provide the show in MP3 format, so it's compatible with all computing platforms and players. You shouldn't have a problem picking up where you left off in an iPod or similar device. What do you use to listen in your car?

I have a 4th Gen iPod in my car hooked up to my car stereo.
MP3 format allows me to pause/continue provided I don't change the track. What this means is that I'm locked into listening to the show from start to finish and can't play a music track, go back to the Paracast and continue where I left off.

Will I gain this ability by running the track through a converter?

nshanks said:
I have a 4th Gen iPod in my car hooked up to my car stereo.
MP3 format allows me to pause/continue provided I don't change the track. What this means is that I'm locked into listening to the show from start to finish and can't play a music track, go back to the Paracast and continue where I left off.

Will I gain this ability by running the track through a converter?

Go ahead and try the converts, but up the bitrate, because any conversion of this sort is going to reduce quality somewhat. That's the nature of the beast, though I suppose it doesn't make much of a difference with talk shows. But we want you to hear all our great special effects in the bumpers.

Problem solved! I just converted to AAC from within iTunes and I can now resume tracks. The process took about 12 minutes on my old G4 PowerBook @64kpbs (iTunes seemed to automatically choose the settings when I chose "Convert selection to AAC" from the Advanced Menu)

I'm curious to know how fast Gene's Quad G4 can complete the process.

nshanks said:
Problem solved! I just converted to AAC from within iTunes and I can now resume tracks. The process took about 12 minutes on my old G4 PowerBook @64kpbs (iTunes seemed to automatically choose the settings when I chose "Convert selection to AAC" from the Advanced Menu)

I'm curious to know how fast Gene's Quad G4 can complete the process.

A Quad G5 :)

Oh, I don't know. I know we can stream a broadcast from it, using maximum CPU power, and I can run most anything else without impacting quality.

Now with a few more sponsors, maybe I can upgrade to a Mac Pro -- that is when they have one with a pair of quad-core processors, of course.

Back