• SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Paracast, the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, plus show transcripts, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, Classic Episodes and Special Features categories! We now offer lifetime memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://www.theparacast.com/plus/

    The Official Paracast Store is back! Check out our latest lineup of customized stuff at: The Official Paracast Store!

    Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Orbs...Does anyone believe the hype?


Raevenskye

Seer of All Things Spooky
Does anyone buy into orb photos anymore? Just curious what y'all think about them. The more I see, the less I believe. Am I limiting my ghostie photos by discounting 99% of them?
 

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
Most orbs aren't anything paranormal. Now, the huge orblike "things" at the end of this documentary is interesting. Not sure orbs is a good description for them though.
http://theparacast.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493

The Entity case's orblike "objects" are interesting.

There's some impressive abduction cases where orbs are seen and sometimes photographed or recorded. But most of the time, orbs are mundane stuff like lent, fuss, dust, bugs or just optics.
 

Rick Deckard

Paranormal Maven
Are 'orbs' the new 'rods'?

The rods phenomena looked like being proven to be images of insects-in-flight distorted by the process of filming. Was a conclusion ever reached about 'rods'?
 

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
Rick Deckard said:
Are 'orbs' the new 'rods'?

The rods phenomena looked like being proven to be images insects-in-flight distorted by the process of filming. Was a conclusion ever reached about 'rods'?
Orbs seem much older than rods.

Yes a mundane conclusion was reached about rods (known bugs), however there's still people that think otherwise.
 

pixelsmith

Paranormal Adept
i have hundreds of pictures of orbs. they dont seem to appear unless a camera is present. why is that? ;)
 

Ankhes

Skilled Investigator
pixelsmith said:
i have hundreds of pictures of orbs. they dont seem to appear unless a camera is present. why is that? ;)
Heh! Because "camera's don't lie?" I've been given that "reason" before. Just like EVP's. For some reason we can't hear the spirits when they talk to us in the same room, but golly gee, a tape recorder will pick up the voice! Never mind that the voice is often horribly distorted, almost impossible to understand, and often doesn't answer a direct question in a manner that makes sense.

I've also heard that "orbs" show up on film because the camera lense picks up the beginning of the spirit's manifestation and magnifies it. See, the person there can't pick up on the tiny pinprick of light but the camera can. :rolleyes:
 

Raevenskye

Seer of All Things Spooky
Ankhes said:
I've also heard that "orbs" show up on film because the camera lense picks up the beginning of the spirit's manifestation and magnifies it. See, the person there can't pick up on the tiny pinprick of light but the camera can. :rolleyes:
i see that kind of stuff all the time, but i rarely capture orb photos. I did get a few in Gettysburg and the area, but unless i really see a face, or something funky, i pretty much discount them as dust.
 

Ankhes

Skilled Investigator
Raevenskye said:
i see that kind of stuff all the time, but i rarely capture orb photos. I did get a few in Gettysburg and the area, but unless i really see a face, or something funky, i pretty much discount them as dust.
Really? Can you post one? As much as I think 99% of orbs are just dust or insects, I am open to the possibility that some may be worthy of consideration as something else, even perhaps paranormal.
 

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
Ankhes said:
Heh! Because "camera's don't lie?" I've been given that "reason" before. Just like EVP's. For some reason we can't hear the spirits when they talk to us in the same room, but golly gee, a tape recorder will pick up the voice! Never mind that the voice is often horribly distorted, almost impossible to understand, and often doesn't answer a direct question in a manner that makes sense.

I've also heard that "orbs" show up on film because the camera lense picks up the beginning of the spirit's manifestation and magnifies it. See, the person there can't pick up on the tiny pinprick of light but the camera can. :rolleyes:
There's certain cases where the camera distorts objects to make them look like a ufo, rather than Venus, as an example. Or where the camera strap falls in front of the lens, but is out of focus and looks like a "dimensional vortex".

The human ear can only hear a small fraction of sound. Things can turn up on devices that we don't hear without them.

There are some cases of evp reported where A. You can hear it in the room. B. It is clear. C. It does answer questions. Are they hoaxes? Maybe. All of them? Not so sure about that one since I've experienced some rather ghostly things myself. And communicated with some it seems. I even ruled out all the contrary arguments. I discuss this elsewhere in one of the ghost threads under the username Mindsky. So the possibility of them not all being hoaxes is definitely on the table. I've never had success with evps though.

homepage WorldITC is an interesting site. Faxes, phone calls, video and evps are dealt with there. Legit? I have no way of knowing for sure, but worth considering I think.
 

Ankhes

Skilled Investigator
A.LeClair said:
There's certain cases where the camera distorts objects to make them look like a ufo, rather than Venus, as an example. Or where the camera strap falls in front of the lens, but is out of focus and looks like a "dimensional vortex".

The human ear can only hear a small fraction of sound. Things can turn up on devices that we don't hear without them.

There are some cases of evp reported where A. You can hear it in the room. B. It is clear. C. It does answer questions. Are they hoaxes? Maybe. All of them? Not so sure about that one since I've experienced some rather ghostly things myself. And communicated with some it seems. I even ruled out all the contrary arguments. I discuss this elsewhere in one of the ghost threads under the username Mindsky. So the possibility of them not all being hoaxes is definitely on the table. I've never had success with evps though.

homepage WorldITC is an interesting site. Faxes, phone calls, video and evps are dealt with there. Legit? I have no way of knowing for sure, but worth considering I think.

Oh, I agree that there is a possibility in some EVP's. And I don't think all are hoaxed, I just think many are stray signals from elsewhere, especially if someone is using the "white noise" technique.
I will have to look for your comments in that thread you mention, but if you don't mind if I ask here, where you say that a device can pick up what we don't hear; I understand that to an extent. I recently heard on an old Haunted New Jersey where the hosts played the tape and the voice was loud and clear and they didn't even have to up the volume at all. I don't get that. Why wouldn't they have heard it at the time? I understand what you mean about ones where the volume has to be cranked up, but can you tell me what you mean by that in reference to the "Class A" ones? I honestly don't know.
Or is that covered in that other thread? In that case, sorry for the redundant question! I'll check out that link you gave, too.
 

Raevenskye

Seer of All Things Spooky
Ankhes said:
Really? Can you post one? As much as I think 99% of orbs are just dust or insects, I am open to the possibility that some may be worthy of consideration as something else, even perhaps paranormal.
I sure will! they're actually still on my camera, b/c i'm lazy/busy, but i'll be happy to post what i have. It won't be before tomorrow, tho.
 

Rick Deckard

Paranormal Maven
A.LeClair said:
The human ear can only hear a small fraction of sound. Things can turn up on devices that we don't hear without them.
Of course it's true that the human ear can only hear a 'limited' range of frequencies so why manufacture an audio device that record and playback frequencies that we can't hear?

Do you see where I'm going with that? If a recording device recorded frequencies outside our range of human hearing, we *still wouldn't hear them* on the playback.

So, I guess, all I'm saying is that it's probably not as straightforward as it first may seem. Is the device really recording *audio* frequencies, which we should be able to hear 'live', or is it really picking up *radio* frequencies which we can't hear 'live' but we can hear once the recording head and electronics have converted them to an audio signal and recorded them to the tape.

Actually, having thought about it further, there is a question of 'amplitude' to throw into the 'mix' too - it is possible not to hear audio that is within the human range of frequencies if it is simply 'too quiet'. An audio device would help in this respect, as it certainly could pick up 'inaudible' sounds and amplify them on playback. If we're saying that these sounds are *audio* frequencies then it is likely a question of amplitude rather than frequencies.

So there's at least two avenues to consider there - did that make any sense?
 

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
Rick Deckard said:
Of course it's true that the human ear can only hear a 'limited' range of frequencies so why manufacture an audio device that record and playback frequencies that we can't hear?

Do you see where I'm going with that? If a recording device recorded frequencies outside our range of human hearing, we *still wouldn't hear them* on the playback.

So, I guess, all I'm saying is that it's probably not as straightforward as it first may seem. Is the device really recording *audio* frequencies, which we should be able to hear 'live', or is it really picking up *radio* frequencies which we can't hear 'live' but we can hear once the recording head and electronics have converted them to an audio signal and recorded them to the tape.

Actually, having thought about it further, there is a question of 'amplitude' to throw into the 'mix' too - it is possible not to hear audio that is within the human range of frequencies if it is simply 'too quiet'. An audio device would help in this respect, as it certainly could pick up 'inaudible' sounds and amplify them on playback. If we're saying that these sounds are *audio* frequencies then it is likely a question of amplitude rather than frequencies.

So there's at least two avenues to consider there - did that make any sense?

As for why make a device. The same reason we use X-rays, infrared, telescopes, and microscopes. To get data from existence that we can't get by our biology alone.

The faint evps are often amplified. It isn't heard by the naked ear without turning up the volume and/or filtering.

There are theories that electromagnetism plays a roll in evps only appearing on tape. As well as other explanations. Anyone interested do a search on evps. You'll find it fairly easy.

Lets face it, there is much about the paranormal that defies common sense. Much of science too. Should one throw out evidence simply because it doesn't make sense? Black Holes make little sense to me. It's my own ignorance. A lot of matter makes a hole in space and time makes no sense. There's good evidence for black holes though, so I don't dismiss it. There's good cases of evp that rule out mundane explanations. It might not make sense to some, but is that due to it being mundane, or fraudulent, or us simply being ignorant?
 

Ankhes

Skilled Investigator
Raevenskye said:
I sure will! they're actually still on my camera, b/c i'm lazy/busy, but i'll be happy to post what i have. It won't be before tomorrow, tho.

Cool! I'll check back here periodically. I've never caught anything along those lines on my own camera, so I am really interested in seeing what others get.
 

Rick Deckard

Paranormal Maven
A.LeClair said:
As for why make a device. The same reason we use X-rays, infrared, telescopes, and microscopes. To get data from existence that we can't get by our biology alone.
Erm, that wasn't quite the point I was making, but never mind... :D

I'm talking about 'ordinary' recording equipment - are we talking about unusual sounds picked up on 'ordinary' recording equipment or are we talking about 'specialist' recording equipment?
 

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
Rick Deckard said:
Erm, that wasn't quite the point I was making, but never mind... :D

I'm talking about 'ordinary' recording equipment - are we talking about unusual sounds picked up on 'ordinary' recording equipment or are we talking about 'specialist' recording equipment?
We're talking about both. Or at least I was.
 

Ankhes

Skilled Investigator
Reavenskye, have you had time to post the pics yet? If you have and I am just overlooking where, sorry to bother. If not, no rush! Post when you can.
 

Raevenskye

Seer of All Things Spooky
Ankhes said:
Reavenskye, have you had time to post the pics yet? If you have and I am just overlooking where, sorry to bother. If not, no rush! Post when you can.
I'm sorry..I'm a goober...I meant to bring my camera today (boss is gone, and I visit during work) and dl the pix, and I forgot it. I'll put it all together when I get home tonight, so I'll be sure to do it tomorrow. I apologize for being lame!
 

Ankhes

Skilled Investigator
Raevenskye said:
I'm sorry..I'm a goober...I meant to bring my camera today (boss is gone, and I visit during work) and dl the pix, and I forgot it. I'll put it all together when I get home tonight, so I'll be sure to do it tomorrow. I apologize for being lame!
No problem. You don't have to rush! I just wanted to be sure I didn't overlook something. I still haven't quite caught up on the forums here and I thought I may have missed it, that's all.
 

Top