• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

One of The Most Inspiring Events In My Life

Jeff Davis

Paranormal Adept
Approximately 20 years ago I had what I personally refer to as a profound observation experience. I cannot tell you how many times that I have carefully reflected on this event, or how much that it has inspired my "paranormal world view".

Myself and a friend had just returned home from getting a coffee and browsing at one of the big book stores like Borders or Barns and Noble. It was a weekend evening in the late spring/early summer when my friend, whose name is Jim, and myself pulled into our driveway and exited the vehicle. We walked across the driveway toward the rear entrance of the house, at which time I noticed what I thought was a very bright planet like Venus or whatever (I am no astronomy expert), it was really twinkling like it almost had a halo around it. I pointed this out to Jim and as we both stared at the bright body (or whatever) in the sky, we simultaneously stated to each other, "it's starting to change color."

There it sat. Way up in the sky at a distance that seemed a LONG way away. The bright spot just started morphing into all these colors. Intense. Blue, green, yellow, red (not in that specific order as I cannot remember what that order was exactly) as it fluctuated between these different colors. Then the most amazing thing happened and yep, here's where it got STRANGE and we both started exclaiming, "we're seeing a UFO!!". You have to understand that I had LONG since been captivated by the whole of Forteana. I was very into UFOs but I had never seen one personally so this was a BIG deal to me and Jim.

Anyway: As we stood there looking at this color changing object or illumination of some sort, as I already stated, it seemed very far away just like the other stars and planets in the night sky which was absolutely clear. Not one single cloud anywhere. It was also a very pleasant evening in terms of the air temp. Down right pleasing where you would just as soon hang out and chat outside as go inside. All of a sudden, without any perceivable movement of the color changing spot in the sky, it was almost right over our heads. I mean it seemed close. Like a 1000 feet close. We just stood there mouths agape looking up and murmuring something about how we couldn't believe this was happening.

It is critically important to state right here for the record that I never once, despite intense visual scrutiny on both our parts, did we observe a definable structure to any of these objects. No "hard" lines or angles to these "objects". It was truly like extremely bright white plasma, but I'm getting ahead of myself here and it's important to stay linear.

There it was above us, still pulsating between it's multiple color emanations. I found it fascinating that what I was observing did not have individual lights. Just one big blob of pulsating light and the colors would take on the in between colors that our eyes perceive as the colors mix and make new and more exotic colors. I remember there being a violet blue like hue to one of these in between color transitions. Some shades were yellowish. Just odd but there was never a time when you could see multiple isolated different colored lights that were blinking or solid.

All of a sudden the colors stopped, the object became more of a solid whitish but still was pulsating in terms of the body of illumination itself. The object started to move to the south of us, which was to our left as we were facing west, but it stayed very much in our proximity above us. This is when the ambient noise around us just went away which was not like turning off a switch really, but more like the realization, "what happened to all the sounds?". As the object moved it was very deliberate and it did not move fast. Needless to say, I have never experienced silence like this. It was like you could "feel" the silence it was so pervasive.

The initial object got to a spot in the sky and just started getting very intense with respect to the light's pulsation and brightness itself. All of a sudden, just like an amoeba would I guess, it divided into two independent objects or bodies of light! They immediately starting doing whatever it was they were doing. The first object was definitely of a somewhat larger size and it also did not behave like the smaller object that had somehow come out of it, or been apart of it.

We watched and watched as the big object just started moving back and forth across the night sky. It was very gentle and deliberate. Not fast like we would associate fast planes or other aerial objects with. The smaller object was where the real action was however. That was something else. Again, it was not about insane speeds in the least, just BIZARRE behavior. The smaller object acted like it was floating on water. It was wobbly and moving back and forth. We watched it take off down this row of backyard fields (corn) and when it got down so far, I swear to you as God is my judge, a beam of light came down from that object over a nearby neighbor's yard and acted as if someone had thrown an anchor overboard on a ship that was floating on water. All of a sudden the thing became absolutely steady as if the light were holding it taunt in place! The light beam went off and it returned to it's "floaty" self.

There was more details I am sure, but this was a few years ago and I am not about to stretch matters and make anything up that didn't actually take place. What I have related here I remember very clearly.

In all this somewhere I ran into the house exclaiming (yelling) to my wife desperately that I needed her video camera. She was half asleep on the couch and just thought it was more of mine and my friend's insanity. I begged here to get up and get me that camera. She did get up momentarily, but only to tell me the battery was dead in her camera and needed to be recharged. AAGGGhhhhh!!

Anyways, the objects did not go back together as they had separated. They both just moved off into the distance out of sight. As they did so we heard the first sound that we had heard in at least 15 minutes. It was a dog barking off in the distance and slowly but surely all the regular noises returned. I live in a slightly rural area so night wildlife (insects/amphibians) is normally very loud and active when the weather is as nice as it was that evening. This all took place around 10pm.

Last edited:
I liked your post. But if you figure the object you saw could have been something natural ( animal, hallucination, weather effect ), or some kind of aircraft or missile made within our global civilization by some government, military or private manufacturer, then it's not a UFO. If, given what you observed, you don't think any of those things provides a reasonable explanation, then all you're left with is something alien. If you're not sure, then it also wasn't a UFO because official UFO reporting procedures made every possible effort to sift out reports where the witness wasn't sure it wasn't a so called flying saucer or something equally alien. Unsure reports went into the "possible aircraft" or "possible astronomical" or other "possible" pile. Unlike the sighting I had in 1975, you don't sound so sure that what you saw was alien. Or maybe you are, but you still can't admit it to yourself yet. That happens. Some people stay in denial for a long time. But in reality, you only have four basic choices; natural, manmade, unsure, or alien. Which one was it? Are you really sure you're so unsure?

Could have been anything. I just don't know. It certainly seemed like the activity of something that was under control, but I cannot discount several possibilities. One is the possibility that this is a form of macroscopic living light. A life form for which we have no phylum at this time. It could also have been a natural plasma light anomaly.

I really have no problem whatsoever admitting that it "could" have been a demonstration of alien technology. A survey probe of some sort. However I would not feel right making that claim based on my experiences alone.

However, it was assuredly a U.F.O. no matter what it's origin was. Until I know what it was, which honestly I sincerely doubt that I will anytime soon, it simply remains quite an inspiration laced mystery to me.

well, that's just a wonderfully damn fascinating event you are describing here Jeff. in some ways it parallels my own - out with one other person, a quiet space (yours much more dramatic), the object that pauses over one space, and then two objects that move into the distance and out of sight. I love it.

i'm very interested in the notion that no ship edges were seen, unlike my own, where i was definitely looking at what appeared to be two metallic, mechanical craft. i wonder, as you were looking at it if you ever felt or had the sensation that what you were looking at was alive, conscious etc. vs. being a container for other beings, or a mechanical technology?

here's some mores quests if you don't mind: you seem to have been very lucid during the whole thing, not shocked or stunned at all, like most people when the impossible is happening to them or around them. you seem to be consciously appreciating the wonder of it all. i'm wondering if you could describe two things: 1) how you felt during the sighting and how do you feel now about it 2) have you talked with friend who witnessed with you since and how does their memory of the event support or provide alternate versions of what happened?

Approximately 20 years ago I had what I personally refer to as a profound observation experience. I cannot tell you how many times that I have carefully reflected on this event, or how much that it has inspired my "paranormal world view".

Amazing. Thanks for sharing this. The mere fact that your account still, after 20 years, sounds like you experienced this just yesterday and are still in awe, shows that this was no misinterpretation of something mundane. It's inspiring quite by itself.

I guess, up to the lightbeam event, a scientist in favor of the "earthquake lights / ball lightning" camp might explain this as an as yet unexplored natural phenomenon. So was there any earthquake / thunderstorm shortly before or after? Is this an area where tectonic activity is frequent?
(@Jeff Davis and @Burnt State)

Personally, I don't think it was any of these things, but I'd be thankful if you could clarify this.

Last edited:
well, that's just a wonderfully damn fascinating event you are describing here Jeff. in some ways it parallels my own - out with one other person, a quiet space (yours much more dramatic), the object that pauses over one space, and then two objects that move into the distance and out of sight. I love it.

i'm very interested in the notion that no ship edges were seen, unlike my own, where i was definitely looking at what appeared to be two metallic, mechanical craft. i wonder, as you were looking at it if you ever felt or had the sensation that what you were looking at was alive, conscious etc. vs. being a container for other beings, or a mechanical technology?

here's some mores quests if you don't mind: you seem to have been very lucid during the whole thing, not shocked or stunned at all, like most people when the impossible is happening to them or around them. you seem to be consciously appreciating the wonder of it all. i'm wondering if you could describe two things: 1) how you felt during the sighting and how do you feel now about it 2) have you talked with friend who witnessed with you since and how does their memory of the event support or provide alternate versions of what happened?

Believe me when I say I was blown away at the time. But truthfully, more so after the event than during it because I was just so filled with awe at what I was observing that I really wasn't thinking of much at the time. Just watching it. Then when the splitting stuff started happening I was beside myself knowing that I had seen such an unfolding previously via that video tape I referred to. The thing is, the behavior of the objects or lights was in no way familiar to me. Just the splitting or dividing part.

I have wondered if my friend and I were subject to some military psyops exercise. Radiating and changing light patterns have been known to induce hypnotic and/or altered mind states. Is there something within our natural environment that can inadvertently accomplish this same thing? It was just incredibly odd. The way that the multi colored light was so far away and then just all of a sudden without the perception of movement on it's part, right above us, I don't have a clue. But it is true that these were certainly not conventional mechanical craft. Not even of the flying saucer variety, but I will state emphatically that the smaller object or light definitely had a different or distinct shape apart from the initial sighted light blob. It was much smaller and flatter, it seemed rounded on the bottom. and as it did it's floaty, bobbing activities, whatever they were, you could clearly see that it maintained a distinctly different shape from the other bigger one and did not pulsate nearly as much as it did.

1) During the sighting I was very excited, but very tuned in. I feel I was incredibly lucky to have witnessed what I did. At the time it honestly never crossed my mind that what we were watching might be a living organism.

2) Jim and I were both very clear headed at the time, but honestly, I have not seen or talked with Jim for a few years now. I can assure you though, there were definitely some slight variances within our memories of the events after several years. This being because I did maintain somewhat regular contact with him for the next 10 years or so and we talked of this from time to time. He told me that he had reported the sighting to mufon, which shamefully I did not at the time, and that both the paper and the local airport had something to say about several people seeing something odd in the area that night. The majority of the event however was remembered almost identically. I should try to look ol' Jim up. His parents moved down south about 10 years ago when his father retired from teaching. His mom was a teacher as well, but she had retired a few years earlier than his Dad and was working part time at a local library until they moved. Jim moved out from their place where he was staying at the time and that's when I more or less lost track of him.

Amazing. Thanks for sharing this. The mere fact that your account still, after 20 years, sounds like you experienced this just yesterday and are still in awe, shows that this was no misinterpretation of something mundane. It's inspiring quite by itself.

I guess, up to the lightbeam event, a scientist in favor of the "earthquake lights / ball lightning" camp might explain this as an as yet unexplored natural phenomenon. So was there any earthquake / thunderstorm shortly before or after? Is this an area where tectonic activity is frequent?

Personally, I don't think it was any of these things, but I'd be thankful if you could clarify this.

Thank you so much for your appreciation! This was in the state of Michigan, midway up the thumb. To the very best of my knowledge, no earthquake or thunderstorms occurred either shortly before, or after, with respect for what I observed.

Jeff, i have long lamented the fact that i never followed up with the other witness of my event, as it was decades ago, and as they say, when you don't have a box to put an event into, they tend to float out of your mind and it's not recalled until, say you start talking about UFO's and then, WHAM, there it all is all over again. i think witnessing anything dramatic/traumatic that is off the norm for human experience can leave us a little altered, especially if you begin to dwell on the experience. i think you might find it interesting to seek out your friend to see how they estimate the experience today.

It's interesting that you suggest Psyops experiment as a possibility, but think about it, what's the purpose of an experiment if there's no follow up or detailed study? i often think of the sudden random appearance of the two vessels we saw and think, "why at that moment, while we were looking?" There was always the sense in my mind that the object moving closer to us in the sky was as aware of us on the ice rink as we were of the surreal ship in the sky above us. So what's the point of purposeful weirdness like that, as it only returns us back to the trickster space and then we have to ask questions about that, about what's its larger role is in the history of humanity. i think that meeting the improbable and impossible is a good experience for any species who thinks that reality is linear and causal in structure. If UFO's are here to make us think, then my thoughts turn towards the irrational, or, as books often tell us, real life is stranger than fiction - and so it is, and so it is.

that moment that Jeff describes where the one object paused - just like in my own experience, it seemed as if it was searching for a specific house, to make mental contact and take someone, in a brief second, to woo-woo land and then drop them back off in the bedroom, all in seconds as we watched from a distance, is one scenario i paint in my brain as a possibility. I mean why pause? and why pause there at that house after searching/floating down the line of houses…

for me, my sighting was definitely of physical craft and occurring in one of the least likely earthquake zones in the country, sitting firmly on top of the Laurentian Shield, a part of the Great Canadian Shield - just solid rock for miles and miles - no tectonic plates there at all.

Jeff, i have long lamented the fact that i never followed up with the other witness of my event, as it was decades ago, and as they say, when you don't have a box to put an event into, they tend to float out of your mind and it's not recalled until, say you start talking about UFO's and then, WHAM, there it all is all over again. i think witnessing anything dramatic/traumatic that is off the norm for human experience can leave us a little altered, especially if you begin to dwell on the experience. i think you might find it interesting to seek out your friend to see how they estimate the experience today.

It's interesting that you suggest Psyops experiment as a possibility, but think about it, what's the purpose of an experiment if there's no follow up or detailed study? i often think of the sudden random appearance of the two vessels we saw and think, "why at that moment, while we were looking?" There was always the sense in my mind that the object moving closer to us in the sky was as aware of us on the ice rink as we were of the surreal ship in the sky above us. So what's the point of purposeful weirdness like that, as it only returns us back to the trickster space and then we have to ask questions about that, about what's its larger role is in the history of humanity. i think that meeting the improbable and impossible is a good experience for any species who thinks that reality is linear and causal in structure. If UFO's are here to make us think, then my thoughts turn towards the irrational, or, as books often tell us, real life is stranger than fiction - and so it is, and so it is.

Believe it or not, I think that observation made a huge difference in my life. For one thing, it's literally why you and I are conversing right now. Here are some thoughts that I feel have been inspired to some very real degree by this event. The following are just random hypothetical statements that this event initially inspired. Admittedly there has been a great deal of revision over the years, but these are some of the views that I presently entertain.

There is a great deal of interconnectedness to our reality of which we are only aware of a very small portion. Time is the greatest illusion that our decoding of reality renders. I am beginning to have a much more refined view of consciousness and that's why I have veered away from yakking on about it so much lately. There is much going on in my head however.

I firmly believe that humanity is not the be all, end all, with respect for planet Earth and sentient life forms. Possibly, we are by no means the top of the "food chain". I believe that many of the animal species on this planet are constantly acquiring greater sentient capacity. I believe that they consider themselves apart from themselves. I firmly believe that many use tools, and distinct languages that they are not given credit for, such as crows, dolphins, primates, and killer whales.

Ultimately, I believe we share this larger than imagined environment with many sentient life forms that do not experience the same reality that we do.

I believe that the reason we experience reality precisely as we do, is due to the manner in which our brains interact with consciousness. I do not believe that the human mind in and of itself experiences reality. I believe that what we call "reality" is the decoded result of our relationship with consciousness. I believe that there is only one consciousness, not many, and that each of us are sentient cells within consciousness that experience what we call individual subjective reality as a result of our unique cognitive physiology.

Ultimately, I believe what I witnessed that evening was not navigating the reality that we ourselves achieve naturally. They may not have to if they bear no physiological cognitive similarity to ourselves. For them, what they do in UFOs is no different than what we do in cars. There reality/Our reality. All achieved in what is their, or our, relationship with consciousness.

The most fascinating thing to me is the possibility of developing technologies (which I personally think we may already have) that allow us to artificially modify this natural cognitive/consciousness relationship. Can you think of anything cooler than travel at the speed of thought?

Jeff, very interesting experience. Have you checked with MUFO to see your friend's report? If it's not online, maybe the state director could track it down. It would be interesting to see how he reported it, and also to see if MUFON orNUFORC had any other similar reports from the time or place.

Jeff, very interesting experience. Have you checked with MUFO to see your friend's report? If it's not online, maybe the state director could track it down. It would be interesting to see how he reported it, and also to see if MUFON orNUFORC had any other similar reports from the time or place.

That is an excellent idea! I am going to have to attempt to get a hold of Jim. I have no idea what the termonology was that he might have used when reporting the event. I am embarrassed to say that I don't even know what year this was exactly but am certain it was roughly 16-20 years ago, but I really like that idea. It would give us all a very cool experiement to consider with respect to memory and perception.

Amazing amount of recalled detail here. Lots of unusual observation with no clear and obvious terrestrial explanation. The beam of light that was emitted sounds interesting. Can you elaborate on this specific observation in more detail?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Amazing amount of recalled detail here. Lots of unusual observation with no clear and obvious terrestrial explanation. The beam of light that was emitted sounds interesting. Can you elaborate on this specific observation in more detail?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the post! It was an event that I will never forget, providing the physiological capacity to remember that is. I've seen advancing age really deteriorate one's status in that dept.

Weighing back in on the effort that I've made to contact Jim, the person with me during this experience, unfortunately has not been met with any real success whatsoever at this point. His folks, whom I certainly hope are still doing well, retired from teaching and they stay down south during the Michigan winters. I may have much better luck getting a hold of Jim in the spring *if* that's what I can pin down his unavailability to. It's all guess work on my end at this point until I hear back from him. I am very confident however, that in the end (sometime by mid summer I would certainly hope) we will have that initial report to juxtapose against my recall. I just need to find him to do it and I am solely determined to do as much as far as he is concerned.

I really wish I could elaborate more. God do I wish I had some means of recording at least some of what we witnessed that night. The problem with me attempting to get more specific with my recall here is that I have tough time knowing where my imagination at this point might be taking over. Nothing dramatic or whatever obviously, but am just too serious in my convictions here in an effort to keep from "contaminating" the memory any more than possible if only by slightly blurring the lines in terms of basic descriptors.

I will say that it appeared that the smaller object was "floating" or "riding" on something. Not something visible in terms of it's possible mechanistic accompaniment, but rather some invisible medium that it seemed supported by. It was bizarre, but I have read of this effect MANY times in various reported encounters. At the time that the beam came down from this object, it was far enough away (maybe 2000-2500 feet at this point) where I could not distinguish whether there was a "solid" characteristic to what appeared from my perspective to be the emanation of a bluish light in the form of a very distinct beam to the ground or something very near the ground. I could not directly observe the beam where it met whatever it came in contact with. The obvious part was how the object or phenomenon steadied itself immediately. It was real wobbly and then just went stationary still without the slightest movement once the beam was apparently projected from the object downward.

Here are some videos by Alison Kruse. I know, they are controversial, with the "mimicking our aircraft by imitating navigation lights" and rushing to the E.T. hypothesis, but at least there's no CGI involved.

- a few lights changing colors (starting from 00:20):

- a light shooting a kind of laser beam (yes, I know, could be a helicopter doing just that, maybe even a drone), starting at 00:20 again

I couldn't find anything where the light suddenly shoots away or up to the camera, at least not in her videos (probably would look like CGI anyways).

So was what you saw anything like this (the colors, the very precise, laser-like beam)? Do you think she's on to something or are we probably looking at explainable aircraft?

Cool story Jeff!

I've always wanted to see something like this, but never have.

Thank you Charlie. Don't let me sidetrack you from this particular case, but believe it or not, in somewhat the same location, pretty much exactly so to speak, my father and I witnessed a daytime UFO sighting just a few years ago. It's a crazy world sometimes!

A Curious & Specific UFO Phenomenon | The Paracast Community Forums

The extremely cool thing for anyone having not caught it in @Polterwurst "natural light phenomena" thread, I have now located MR. Thompson and he will be reporting to @Sentry in "controlled" fashion for the purposes of better illuminating all our considerations concerning this shared, independently reported, anomalous phenomena relative experience . This is to state that all who read this thread prior to the actual reporting of the experience to Curtis, will have had just as much contact with Jim as I myself have had in the last 1.5 - 2.o years. Which is to state emphatically, NONE. Don't get me wrong. Thompson is a wonderful, intelligent guy, and I miss him. I wanted to call him but knew it would get the wheels turning in his head. Thereby possibly contaminating his own memories and perception based reporting of the event. The REALLY great thing? We will hopefully find the initial report, filed by MR. Thompson, I believe right after the event. Which I myself have looked diligently for via MUFON and NARCAP data bases for several months now to no avail.

Here are some videos by Alison Kruse. I know, they are controversial, with the "mimicking our aircraft by imitating navigation lights" and rushing to the E.T. hypothesis, but at least there's no CGI involved.

- a few lights changing colors (starting from 00:20):

- a light shooting a kind of laser beam (yes, I know, could be a helicopter doing just that, maybe even a drone), starting at 00:20 again

I couldn't find anything where the light suddenly shoots away or up to the camera, at least not in her videos (probably would look like CGI anyways).

So was what you saw anything like this (the colors, the very precise, laser-like beam)? Do you think she's on to something or are we probably looking at explainable aircraft?

My apologies. These are the videos I thought were in the other thread. I looked for them last night as I wanted to watch them and then report back today. Will watch them tonight and report back asap. Again, thank you!

Back