• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

On the Show — Ralph Blumenthal

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
IMG_0176 copy.jpgRalph Blumenthal is a Distinguished Lecturer at Baruch College of the City University of New York, and was an award-winning reporter for The New York Times from 1964 to 2009, and has written and co-authored seven books on organized crime and cultural history. He co-authored, with Helene Cooper and Leslie Kean, the recent series of groundbreaking Times articles on the secret Pentagon program to investigate UFOs. He led the Times metro team that won the Pulitzer Prize for breaking news coverage of the 1993 truck-bombing of the World Trade Center. In 2001, Blumenthal was named a Fellow of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation to research the progressive career and penal reforms of Warden Lewis E. Lawes, “the man who made Sing Sing sing.” The book on Warden Lawes, “Miracle at Sing Sing,” was published by St. Martin’s in June, 2004. His most recent book, which will be discussed on this episode, is “The Believer: Alien Encounters, Hard Science, and the Passion of John Mack,” published by High Road Books of the University of New Mexico Press.

For more than 45 years, Blumenthal reported for The Times as Texas correspondent and Southwest Bureau Chief ; arts and culture news reporter; investigative and crime reporter; foreign correspondent in West Germany, South Vietnam, and Cambodia; and metro and Westchester correspondent. He began his journalism career as reporter/columnist for The Grand Prairie Daily News Texan in 1963.

Blumenthal earned a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism Alumni Award, and the Nieman Foundation’s Worth Bingham Prize for distinguished investigative reporting on USAir crashes. Since 2010 he has taught journalism in the summer program of Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, N.H., and was named a Distinguished Lecturer at Baruch College where he taught journalism and currently oversees historic collections in the Newman Library Archives. He lives in New York City with his wife, Deborah, a children’s book writer and novelist.

Our guest cohost will be Tim Swartz.

Recording Date (including After The Paracast)
Rescheduled:
Thursday February 17 at 2 PM Mountain (4 PM Eastern)
Post your questions or comments for discussion below:

For After The Paracast: Subscribe to The Paracast Plus
For Five-Year and Lifetime Subscriptions: Use Coupon Code ufo20 for a 20% Discount!

I am looking forward to this show and the only question I can think to ask him is this,is there anything more than what was printed in the NY Times article that was said to himself and Leslie off the record.

If something is off the record, ethically a reporter is not going to disclose it except in rare circumstances (where it can be reported on background). I suppose we can alter that question to one about whether anything important didn't make it into the stories because of space and other considerations. How about that?

Yea Gene that's fine and ethically I wouldn't expect him to reveal what was said.
I was just wondering if he knew for certain there was more to come.

At Ralph's request, we have rescheduled the taping of the episode for next week.

Our guest for this week is Paul Blake Smith with Tim Swartz as guest cohost.

Back