• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Nick Pope's NY Times Op-Ed Piece

valiens

Skilled Investigator
Is this historic? Doesn't the Times normally reject "serious" UFO pieces?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/o...17995200&en=261a4fac954a0495&ei=5070&emc=eta1

<nyt_kicker>Op-Ed Contributor</nyt_kicker>
<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" "> Unidentified Flying Threats </nyt_headline>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">function getSharePasskey() { return 'ex=1375070400&en=5be0f7bbc0bbd0f8&ei=5124';}</script> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript"> function getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent('http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/opinion/29pope.html'); } function getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent('Unidentified Flying Threats'); } function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent('Skepticism about U.F.O.’s may render us vulnerable to terrorists or espionage against the United States.'); } function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent('Airlines and Airplanes,Espionage,Terrorism,United States Armament and Defense,Military Bases and Installations,National Aeronautics and Space Administration,Federal Aviation Administration'); } function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent('opinion'); } function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent('Op-Ed Contributor'); } function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent(''); } function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent('By NICK POPE'); } function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent('July 29, 2008'); } </script> <nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "> </nyt_byline>By NICK POPE
Published: July 29, 2008

<!--NYT_INLINE_IMAGE_POSITION1 --> <nyt_text> </nyt_text>London

ON the afternoon of Nov. 7, 2006, pilots and airport employees at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago saw a disc-like object hovering over the tarmac for several minutes. Because nothing was tracked on radar, the Federal Aviation Administration did not investigate. Yet radar is not a reliable detector of all aircraft. Stealth planes are designed to be invisible to radar, and many radar systems filter out signals not matching the normal characteristics of aircraft. Did it really make sense to entirely ignore the observations of several witnesses?

A healthy skepticism about extraterrestrial space travelers leads people to disregard U.F.O. sightings without a moment’s thought. But in the United States, this translates into overdependence on radar data and indifference to all kinds of unidentified aircraft — a weakness that could be exploited by terrorists or anyone seeking to engage in espionage against the United States.

The American government has not investigated U.F.O. sightings since 1969, when the Air Force ended Project Blue Book, an effort to scientifically analyze all sightings to see if any posed a threat to national security. Britain and France, in contrast, continue to investigate U.F.O. sightings, because of concerns that some sightings might be attributable to foreign military aircraft breaching their airspace, or to foreign space-based systems of interest to the intelligence community.

Most of the incidents investigated in Britain have been easily explained as misidentifications of stars and planets, aircraft lights, satellites and meteors, but some cases have raised national security or air safety issues.

On Dec. 26, 1980, for instance, several witnesses at two American Air Force bases in England reported seeing a U.F.O. land. An examination of the site turned up indentations in the ground and a level of radiation in the area that was significantly higher than ordinary. More witnesses at the same base reported the U.F.O. again on subsequent nights. The deputy base commander reported that the aircraft aimed light beams into the most highly sensitive area of the base — a clear security breach.

On March 30 and 31, 1993, there was a wave of U.F.O. sightings over Britain. One witness described a triangular-shaped craft that flew slowly over an air force base before accelerating away to the horizon in an instant, many times faster than a jet. The British military reported, “There would seem to be some evidence on this occasion that an unidentified object (or objects) of unknown origin was operating over the U.K.”

On April 23, 2007, a commercial airline pilot and some of his passengers reported a huge cigar-shaped U.F.O. — the pilot estimated it to be a mile wide — near the Channel Islands. At the time, air traffic controllers reported to the pilot that radar picked up something, but that it was “unknown traffic.”

In addition, there have been several incidents of near misses between U.F.O.s and known aircraft — enough to prompt the Ministry of Defense and the British Civil Aviation Authority to advise pilots, if they encounter anything, “not to maneuver, other than to place the object astern, if possible.”

The United States is no less vulnerable than Britain and France to threats to security and air safety. The United States Air Force or the National Aeronautics and Space Administration should reopen investigations of U.F.O. phenomena. It would not imply that the country has suddenly started believing in little green men. It would simply recognize the possibility that radar alone cannot always tell us what’s out there.

<nyt_author_id></nyt_author_id>Nick Pope, the author of “Open Skies, Closed Minds,” was in charge of U.F.O. investigations for the British Ministry of Defense from 1991 to 1994.

Yeah, I saw that, actually my boss at work emailed it to me! (He knows I'm a UFO fan boy). I also included it in my weekly paranormal email I send to like 10 of my friends who I'm sure never read what I send them.... oh well.

I've written this before, and maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid, but I think Nick Pope knows a lot more than he lets on and may still work for the MOD in some capacity.

This article stands out to me for 2 reasons. Firstly it appears the New York Times is somewhat open to running a serious oped about UFO's, which is really cool and hopefully is a sign of things to come since the NYT is among the top if not the top news provider, TBD.

Secondly, I think Nick Pope and others (James Fox I think) have identified the most effective strategy for getting this issue exposure in the media and forcing the mainstream government to publicly take a look into UFO's. And this strategy/approach is the aerial safety and national security angle. Which I think at this point, is a great way to go about this. At the least it is a way to help the media to consider this isn't just a fringe 'para science' issue that is so controversial, it's also a very real safety hazard and national security threat, just ask Bob Salas! It also puts the focus on 'unidentified' instead of 'alien', which I think is real important for many reasons to get this into the mainstream.

I read the piece, and it's clear he tried to be very fair in his presentation, no doubt at the instigation of The New York Times editors.

Strange that they reject an op-ed from Sen. McCain, but are willing to take one from a pro-UFO writer. :D

Well, actually they reportedly asked Sen. McCain to edit the piece and make it a presentation on his views on the Iraq war rather than just a rebuttal to Obama.

I'm sure there's more to it than that. If the roles were reversed and Obama was rebutting McCain, I'd bet anything that they would have run it.

Anyway, I hope Shermer doesn't insist on running a "rebuttal" to Pope's op-ed, since his version of skepticism is more religious in nature than anything else. Shermer already knows all the answers in his mind. No real need to discuss the matter.

I'm surprised that the Times would publish this, but I'm also not too surprised that they would do so only under the 'it's a threat' banner. Fear, unfortunately, is what will be used to 'break' the story when the time comes. And that will be a huge gift to the military-industrial-etc. complex.

Well, actually they reportedly asked Sen. McCain to edit the piece and make it a presentation on his views on the Iraq war rather than just a rebuttal to Obama.

If his speeches are anything to go by they probably just needed him to correct the 90% gaffe/error ratio. Iraq-Pakistan border indeed!

As to Pope's piece with this and Mitchell's latest comments and the increasing topic exposure on shows like Larry King am I the only one getting an uneasy feeling about this? I know we've essentially agreed on this board that gradual disclosure is the only way to go in order to prevent public hysteria but this doesn't strike me as all that "gradual"...

I just looked over the 'comments' below the Pope article on the Times website. There are currently 84 comments which strikes me as a lot, seems like this fired up some people.

Some of the comments are interesting, some of them are pretty dumb. I'd encourage Paracast peeps to post strong logical comments in hopes of getting the times to cover this topic more.

Leslie Keen wrote one of the last comments, it's pretty good. It's interesting to read some peoples' reactions. I personally think Keen and Pope are using a safety/security angle to get attention but I don't think that is their real motivation which is confusing to people who are new to the subject and posted comments.

Personally, I don't believe in an impending disclosure, but I certainly try to keep tabs on all this stuff and the momentum it sometimes creates.

In the last year we've seen a paradigm shift in media coverage of the ufo phenomenon.If this is just a desperate way of getting ratings,in a post TV/newspaper age,or something more deliberate,I don't know...
In the end,it really doesn't matter.The effect is the same.More information out to the uninformed masses...

I think Pope,Kean and Fox deserves alot of credit for making the media climate more reseptive to the phenomenon...
Let's hope James Fox get's "Beyond the Blue" into theaters sometime soon.This could be the straw that breaks the camel's back,and finally get's us our Congressional hearing.

I don't like to admit it,but maybe Stephen Basset was right,all along:question:
(maybe not...)

I've written this before, and maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid, but I think Nick Pope knows a lot more than he lets on and may still work for the MOD in some capacity.

I too have had that feeling about about Nick Pope too. I've mentioned it in these forums in the past as well that I too am suspicious of Pope. I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by his appearances on UFO podcasts in the past, and his pronouncements on 9/11 are waaay too close to the US governments line for me (in fact, I think he believes the US governments own conspiracy theory regarding 9/11).

So you're not alone out there Rocketsauce ... he still might be a MOD man.

Still ... he did get this piece published in a corporate owned newspaper ... [which is interesting and may point even more to the fact that he is a government stooge] ... so that counts for something (maybe).

So the big question maybe ... are 'they' starting to increase the softening up of us joe publics for full disclosure?? ... this coming on the week that a certain ex-astronaut gave us his opinion on an extra-terrestrial reality.

Nick Pope have,himself,stated a number of times,that he's still bound by any security oath's he took during his service.Therefore anything he says must be taken with that in mind...
My personal opinion is that he's just a lower level bureaucratic nerd,who's serving as an "unofficial" PR person for the Ministry of Defence.Too what end,I don't know.

It could be that they're using a well known,semi-official,ufo personality too do som "spring cleaning" before they begin too release their more classified documents...

I like Pope,personally,but I find it less than credible that he would have been the man inn charge of all ufo material at the MoD,which he seems to suggest...​

I read a lot of Nick Pope, and I've seen more than one info-show on Discovery, History, Sci-Fi, etc. I don't know what to make of the guy. He's such a little nerdy type, ....I try to take him seriously but his entire demeanor speaks of a "tour guide" kind of researcher....."here we have this, and here we have this other thing, and so forth and so forth." I mean he acts like he should be a Monty Python character.

Wow, Whitley Strieber even commented along with Buck Rodgers. Hey, wait a second, isn't he still in cryogenic stasis? Oh, and apparently all of this UFO stuff is just "figments of some over active imaginations". Which is more paranormal, UFO's as figments of imagnination or that people can photograph and video those figments? Anywho...

Comment 57 is right on target with my way of thinking.

They are no longer accepting comments. Comments started at 7:41am and ended at 5:59pm. All in all I thought the comments were pretty good. By my count here are the results:

Total: 87
Pro UFO Research: 52
NO UFO Research: 27
Unable to determine what they think: 8

a good mix of the sane and insane from both camps. In my estimation, probably good for another few articles.

I like Nick Pope not in Gay way girls and guys :)If the media get more interested in this topic. Nick Pope and perhaps Richard Dolan could be spokepeople for this phenomen how come they dont ask a guy like RIchard Dolan to come on a larry king show to speak only crackpots who dont really help the topic:exclamation:

I read a lot of Nick Pope, and I've seen more than one info-show on Discovery, History, Sci-Fi, etc. I don't know what to make of the guy. He's such a little nerdy type, ....I try to take him seriously but his entire demeanor speaks of a "tour guide" kind of researcher....."here we have this, and here we have this other thing, and so forth and so forth." I mean he acts like he should be a Monty Python character.

Yeah, he is totally a 'quirky nerdy bumbling' english monty python character, he seems like a really nice guy actually. Although I think he knows a lot more than he lets on, this is not based on anything other than intuition from seeing him speak about things and how hesitant he is to suggest anything paranormal.

He usually just focuses on how some sightings that came across his desk are unexplained and then he goes through the really boring process through which the MOD is releasing files, even spending half of his talk on how a few hundred asbestos files are gonna be restored, when at the end of the day, from listening to David and others, these files don't really reveal much more than we already knew. SO either he is completely an anal retentive bureaucrat, or perhaps something more. The fact he is in the NYT, is very interesting. After reading about the Rendlesham case from Jaque Vallee's point of view in "Revalations' it seems like it could have been a psy ops experiment, yet this is one of Nick best cases (I could be wrong about this!)

I've noticed Nick is hesitant to say that UFO's "may" have non human beings in them or really come to any tentative conclusions about this stuff being paranormal yet Nick is comfortable speaking at UFO conferences right next to Exopolitics people and being interviewed on numerous fringe UFO radio shows that in the same breath cover abductions, David Icke etc..... There is a disconnect there I think between what he portrays versus the forums he chooses to align himself with. Perhaps he keeps his cards close to his chest and is happy to use any outlet that will host him?

Not that Nick is in the intelligence field, but to think just because he's comes of as a bumbling english guy that he's not capable of working in some type of convert way, no matter how shallow that covertness is, is wrong IMO. From what I've heard, the most effective intelligence people are those who seem the most harmless, the type you'd never suspect and would easily have a nice two hour conversation at a bar with without even thinking twice. If you did suspect them, they wouldn't be doing their job.

Back