• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mysterious Monsters

zenlibra

Paranormal Novice
Does anyone remember the film and book from 1975-1976 called Mysterious Monsters? How about the TV show Project Bluebook? When I was a kid in the 70's there was a lot more of this stuff in popular culture, even in my school library. However, I have a question regarding the last show. I recall Loren Coleman mentioning the evidence we have of Bigfoot, and he mentioned the Patterson film as being evidence of Bigfoot sightings. But I recall a news story wherein Roger Patterson admitted on his deathbed that the film was a fake. Any thoughts?

Update: After looking around on the 'net it seems Patterson died in 1972, but that his friend Bob Gimlin claimed before he died that the film "may have been a hoax". The status of the film is still undetermined

The show I remember most as a kid growing up was "In Search of" hosted by Leonard Nimoy. It was that show that sparked my interest in UFOs, Bigfoot and the paranormal.

As far as the Patterson film goes. I went to the annual Bigfoot Conference and Expo held recently at Salt Fork Park here in Ohio. From what I can gather. Roger Patterson always maintained that the film was authentic. Also I think Bob Gimlin said that he "could've been fooled".

At the conference one of the guests who basically makes part of his living by debunking bigfoot videos and films and who owns a copy of the Patteson film says that when you watch the film full frame (not on the Internet) you're able to see the muscles move underneath the creature's skin and that it would've been impossible to fake that at that time.

So I guess this is another mystery that's going to rage on for a long time or until we have one of the creatures in captivity.

The Patterson film doesn't mean squat if it is a hoax. My thinking behind this? There were Bigfoot sightings before the Patterson film.

This may be of interest to you. An audio interview with Greg Long, author of The Making of Bigfoot, and Bob Hieroniumus, the man who claims to have been in the Bigfoot suit for the Patterson film:

Listen Here!

You're right about Bigfoot sightings occurring before the Patterson film. Sightings go way back to Native American times and possibly before on other continents.

From what I can gather, there have been several people that have come forward and claimed to be the man in the suit which leads me to believe that it just might not be a hoax. Secondly, no one has ever produced the actual suit. You would think that someone would have it and would've trotted it out by now. Another thing to remember is that special effects technology wasn't that great back then. It'd be much easier to fake something like that now than back at the time Patterson shot his footage. Like I said, I think this debate is going to go on for a long time to come or at least until we find a body or capture one of these creatures.

i could be wrong about this, but wasn't the infamous Bigfoot photo/video deemed fake when one of the guys involved gave a death bed confession? my girlfriend and i was talking about this the other night. if i can find the article i'll post a link. but like i said, i could be wrong.

From everything I've read, Roger Patterson maintained that the footage he shot was authentic even up until his death. Bob Gimlin said that he thought the footage was authentic, but admitted that he could've been fooled, which doesn't really prove that the Patterson film is fake. I do know that several people have come forth claiming that it was a hoax and that it was they who were in the suit. That is problematic when you have a couple of diffferent people coming forward saying something like this.

There was a man who admitted to faking a lot of footprints, which the media jumped all over to make it seem as if the whole thing is a hoax.

So as far as I know, the authenticity of the Patterson footage is still in debate.

michael said:
From everything I've read, Roger Patterson maintained that the footage he shot was authentic even up until his death. Bob Gimlin said that he thought the footage was authentic, but admitted that he could've been fooled, which doesn't really prove that the Patterson film is fake. I do know that several people have come forth claiming that it was a hoax and that it was they who were in the suit. That is problematic when you have a couple of diffferent people coming forward saying something like this.

There was a man who admitted to faking a lot of footprints, which the media jumped all over to make it seem as if the whole thing is a hoax.

So as far as I know, the authenticity of the Patterson footage is still in debate.

i was looking for the article today but i could not find it. i don't think i read it online; i think it was in a book or magazine. perhaps it was on a talk radio show? i didn't want to say for sure. i was just wondering if anyone else heard that side of it.

ok, like i said i could be wrong about the death-bed confession. this was recent. patterson died in 72. it was a confession from someone involved if i remember the story. anyway, here's a link to some stuff, not what i was looking for, but worth a read nonetheless.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2843/is_4_28/ai_n6145280

http://www.xzone-radio.com/sasquatch1.htm

of course one will probably never know for sure. the footage looks real on it's face but many will try to debunk it. my gut is telling me it's probably fake? it comes down to who do you believe; who is more credible?

This is a common misunderstanding, thanks to the stupid media.

Ray Wallace confessed to being a hoaxer. The media linked him to the PG film for some reason. Roger died a few years after the PG film. No confession was ever made.

Here's some discussion about it.

http://www.bigfootforums.com/index.php?s=ae0002aae11ef67a4f6ab4c1990c5d0f&showtopic=14037

also see: http://americanbigfootsocietycleari...01/recent-column-which-highlights-medias.html

Mainstream media really sucks at dealing with Bigfoot....

Back