1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Paracast, the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, plus show transcripts, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, Classic Episodes and Special Features categories! We now offer lifetime memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://www.theparacast.com/introducing-the-paracast/

The Official Paracast Store is back! Check out our latest lineup of customized stuff at: The Official Paracast Store!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!
    Dismiss Notice

Music

Discussion in 'General Freewheeling Chit-Chat' started by ProphetofOccam, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect USI Calgary

Home Page:
    Marina & The Diamonds - Teen Idle on FM104

2. Usual Suspect

Home Page:
    Marina & The Diamonds - I'm Not A Robot

3. Flatwoods

Flatwoods Paranormal Adept

Rumor has it that Twice will be performing in the closing ceremony of the 2018 Olympics on February 25th. Here are their videos for "TT" and "Knock Knock", now available with English subtitles. I'm posting the two videos together because they share a weirdly connected storyline that is somewhat reminiscent of old twilight zone episodes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  4. Usual Suspect

Home Page:
    Uh. I dunno man. Maybe if I was twelve? The video and choreography is cool though. Fun stuff for the kids. I sort of thought the same thing when I saw the Baby Metal videos, but they're such a bizarre mix of metal and whatever that is, that it's not that simple to describe it. What really surprised me was Marina And The Diamonds. At first I thought I was looking at another vacuous female pop singer, but her lyrics are quite good and she can sing really well without pitch correction. Her fashion styling is also deeper than it appears and is often more of a parody than anything serious. She's actually really amazing.

Happy

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Flatwoods likes this.
  5. Usual Suspect

Home Page:
  6. Flatwoods

Good comment. Your observation of Twice is spot-on: they project an image that’s family friendly and appropriate for all ages, and this is 100% intentional. When other KPOP groups such as BTS tackle heavier themes such as drug addiction and suicide, they usually do so only after becoming well-established. Twice is still new. KPOP companies invest a lot of money and effort to carefully develop their artist’s image over time, and I would expect Twice’s style to mature in the coming years. This is just how it goes with KPOP.

BABYMETAL, on the other hand, is a kawaii metal Japanese Idol (JPOP) group. JPOP is not like KPOP at all; it’s a very different animal, with a different fan-base demographic. Artistically, JPOP is kawaii-themed rock music performed by young girls, often with influences of Bushido Samurai culture and a bit of fascistic iconography thrown in the mix. It’s really potent stuff, but I’ll elaborate on this another time. It’s too much to unpack tonight.

Kawaii - Wikipedia

Bokutachi wa Tatakawanai (We won't fight) by AKB48, primarily starring Haruka Shimazaki, Sakura Miyawaki, Jurina Matsui and Yuria Kizaki - AKB48's go-to team when martial-arts combat scenes are needed. WARNING! - While the lyrics are anti-war, the following music video does contain depictions of violence. Viewer discretion is advised:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Usual Suspect likes this.
  7. Usual Suspect

Home Page:
    Very interesting. I'm not that well informed about these genres. I find it really interesting and would like to hear more of your insights into what you think music is about these days and the direction it's heading. In particular whether or not anyone can really make it anymore with just a dream and some talent? Or do they need a production company behind them? I like how Marina And The Diamonds can do a street performance in jeans or step out in high fashion on a runway. She seems to have done more clawing her way up the ladder than the flavor of the week types. I could be all wrong though too.

8. Flatwoods

I don't think you're wrong. The corporate western pop music scene has become stale and pretentious. Marina and the Diamonds are an indie band, correct? People are desperately looking for something new.

9. Usual Suspect

Home Page:
    Marina is just Marina. The "and the Diamonds part appears to be a play on her last name ( Diamandis ) and she refers to her audience as her diamonds. She's described as Indie/New Wave, but is more interesting than that. She intended to go into psychology if her entertainment career didn't take off, and her lyrics are a reflection of that. She's basically self taught and scratched her way up by doing home recordings with Garage Band and promoting herself on the Internet until she started getting approached by labels. She's basically self-made instead of an invention of some corporate masters looking to promote a product. At least that seems to be her story.

I'm sure she's had help with production and such since getting signed. She's also got Synesthesia, so she associates colors with numbers and sounds. Looks like she got her first degree by the time she was 18. So she's also smart. There's a lot more going on there than the glitzy pop exterior she seems to portray at first glance. I wonder how she'll evolve in the future?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. Flatwoods

So...

What if Thor visited a maid cafe in Japan, and then left his hammer there by accident? What would the maids do? They have the following choices:

A - Journey across the bifrost to Asgard, and return it to him, or
    B - Summon the fires of hell and forge the hammer into a set of musical instruments.

Click the video below if you want to know which choice they made.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  11. Usual Suspect

Home Page:
    What's not to like. Those chops are irresistible :p .

12. Creepy Green Light

Creepy Green Light Paranormal Adept

Selling stuff.
    Whenever I see Asian bands playing I get the feeling that they naturally, would not be playing what they are playing. It feels as if they watched a bunch of North American MTV bands and then set out to copy what they saw. But she is playing Sonor :)

13. Creepy Green Light

Selling stuff.

Flatwoods and Usual Suspect like this.
  14. Creepy Green Light

Selling stuff.

15. Flatwoods

I don't know who writes Band-Maids' music. Having been to one of their concerts, I can only vouch for the fact that they do play their own instruments, although I hear Miku Kobato(0.04) was still a novice on guitar when Thrill was filmed. The band was Miku's idea, and so were the maid costumes; she actually worked for a time at a maid cafe in Tokyo and designed the look of the band around that. At least, that's the official story.

As for their sound, you are correct. They're a rock band, but if you crush that rock and analyze the ore, I'll bet you find some Nickelback in there. Maybe trace amounts of AC/DC too. It is what it is. The only reason I like Japanese pop and rock is because it seems like the last refuge of 80's style music, which I grew up on.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  16. Usual Suspect

Home Page:
    I get that same feeling when pasty white guys play the blues, but then I get called a racist ... lol.

17. Creepy Green Light

Selling stuff.
    :confused::rolleyes:

18. Flatwoods

So...continuing the story:

Thor was drunk on ale, and fell into a deep slumber for a long, long time. Back in Japan, a bunch of girls dreamed of becoming punk-rock idols. But these girls were plain, and their hearts sank when they looked at other, prettier idols, of which there were many. They called out to Thor "Give us power, so people will forget our lack of beauty and focus on our music!" But Thor was asleep, and couldn't hear them.

And so they prayed to Loki instead. Loki wanted to help them, but he had no hammer, no power of his own. The only thing Loki had was a bag, and that bag was filled with masks of insanity. What should Loki do? These were his choices:

A - Ignore their pleas, and go back to his own business.
    B - Create something so strange, beautiful, and terrifying that Odin would banish him from Asgard for all time.

What's done is done, and cannot be undone.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 4:17 AM
  19. Flatwoods

Decent song, but that video reminds me of the old alien abduction stories I used to read about in books by Budd Hopkins and Ray Fowler. Especially the part where she's floating over the ground. Freaky.

Triggering?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    Creepy Green Light likes this.
  20. Creepy Green Light

Selling stuff.
    I agree. And perhaps? Here's my favorite song by her...