• SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Paracast, the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, plus show transcripts, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, Classic Episodes and Special Features categories! We now offer lifetime memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://www.theparacast.com/plus/

The Official Paracast Store is back! Check out our latest lineup of customized stuff at: The Official Paracast Store!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Music

ProphetofOccam

Paranormal Adept
Outside the realm of skeptic-believer vs. skeptic-non-believer debate are areas we also all enjoy. I saw that someone had previously made a thread about games. I think threads like that are good for our collective, forum morale.

It's fun to hear about the tastes and preferences of strangers when it comes to art. In this case, I'd like to invite whoever feels like it to talk about music they like, post a random video, song, or tidbit, or ask about music they might be interested in hearing from one another.

It's my deduction that I am a relative youngster in this particular forum, though I'm not 100% sure of that. I'd like to think that music is immune to age. However, to start things off, I'll present music with a "paranormal" theme.

I hope you guys want to participate.

Muadib

Paranormal Adept
How about a band with a name and song titles based on the Kennedy conspiracy? One of my favorites, but not for everyone. They were emo back when emo was more of an offshoot of punk rock than its own genre of lipstick and eyeliner wearing weirdos.

Texas is the Reason:

Wade

FeralNormal master
Dead can Dance still does it for me, their music gives me eargasms. On a seperate tangent I think neil finn is one of the greatest songwriters of our time and why his name isn't mentioned in the same breath as lennon & McCartney or dylan is beyond me...listen to the lyrics of distant sun, fall at your feet or better be home soon if you need convincing

ProphetofOccam

Paranormal Adept
"Texas is the Reason" is also a Misfits lyric regarding the same subject.

A lot of people do actually regard Neil Finn at that, or close to that, level of esteem. Pearl Jam count Crowded House, the Split Enz, and Finn himself amongst their strongest influences. They've done a few live recording together as bands.

Goggs Mackay

Administrator
Staff member
I like Neil Finn but I think he is probably a far better lyricist than he is at writing actual tunes to go along with those lyrics.
But I think many are at a disadvantage forever more, because Lennon and McCartney did so much varied, good work, that it is just impossible to best them.

Wade

FeralNormal master
"Texas is the Reason" is also a Misfits lyric regarding the same subject.

A lot of people do actually regard Neil Finn at that, or close to that, level of esteem. Pearl Jam count Crowded House, the Split Enz, and Finn himself amongst their strongest influences. They've done a few live recording together as bands.

Yeah, I was aware he had a fan base among his peers , so my statement was probably too generalized but if you did a man in the street interview and asked them to rattle off a bunch of what they feel some of the best songwriters of the past few years neil's name wouldn't come up so much. Again a generalization I suppose but when people mention so and so being the next dylan or next tauplin I wished they would toss in the next finn as well. I would.

ProphetofOccam

Paranormal Adept
How about a band with a name and song titles based on the Kennedy conspiracy? One of my favorites, but not for everyone. They were emo back when emo was more of an offshoot of punk rock than its own genre of lipstick and eyeliner wearing weirdos.
Is the band from the early 90's?

Muadib

Paranormal Adept
Is the band from the early 90's?
They got together in 1994 and split up in 1997, they only released 1 full length album and 2 split 7" records. I've heard the genre of music they play referred to as post hardcore, I like that term, but not many people seem to use it, so I refer to them as emo.

Anyway, like I said, they're a lot different than a lot of what passes for emo today, but they are considered pioneers in the emo genre, along with bands like Rites of Spring, Promise Ring, Jawbreaker and Sunny Day Real Estate. If you like these guys, check out some of those bands as well.

ProphetofOccam

Paranormal Adept
In high school (1994-1998), this style of music was considered emo. Some of my punk buddies were into it. I think people occasionally use "post-hardcore" to both establish its significance as a wave (or, at least, a derivative) of punk and to distinguish it from what most people know as emo, today. Most of my punk appreciation extends from the mid 70's to the early 90's, or from The Sex Pistols and Stiff Little Fingers through to about Screeching Weasel and The Queers. Emo is decent stuff, and I've always been able to listen to it when people play it at parties and such, but I probably wouldn't put it on by myself.

What are some bands or styles of music that you like that you'd think a lot of us might not know or have heard about? That's being asked of everyone.

Muadib

Paranormal Adept
In high school (1994-1998), this style of music was considered emo. Some of my punk buddies were into it. I think people occasionally use "post-hardcore" to both establish its significance as a wave (or, at least, a derivative) of punk and to distinguish it from what most people know as emo, today. Most of my punk appreciation extends from the mid 70's to the early 90's, or from The Sex Pistols and Stiff Little Fingers through to about Screeching Weasel and The Queers. Emo is decent stuff, and I've always been able to listen to it when people play it at parties and such, but I probably wouldn't put it on by myself.

What are some bands or styles of music that you like that you'd think a lot of us might not know or have heard about? That's being asked of everyone.
I'm a huge Sex Pistols fan myself, but there's a lot of punk I wouldn't listen to even if I was paid. I think, along with the reasons you stated, post hardcore also refers to the scene that bands like that came from, musically they have a lot more in common with hardcore punk than they do with classic punk.

As far as music people might not know of, I think we'll be hard pressed to post anything that someone here hasn't heard before, we have a wide variety of viewpoints and opinions here so I think it'll probably be the same with music.

If you don't mind instrumental music, how about some Bit Brigade? This video has them covering music from one of my favorite games of all time, Mega Man 2. The Mega Man games are known for their great music, which is why the series is known as Rockman in Japan, but I love hearing it brought to life through real instruments. Check it out:

stonehart

Paranormal Adept
Outside the realm of skeptic-believer vs. skeptic-non-believer debate are areas we also all enjoy. I saw that someone had previously made a thread about games. I think threads like that are good for our collective, forum morale.

It's fun to hear about the tastes and preferences of strangers when it comes to art. In this case, I'd like to invite whoever feels like it to talk about music they like, post a random video, song, or tidbit, or ask about music they might be interested in hearing from one another.

It's my deduction that I am a relative youngster in this particular forum, though I'm not 100% sure of that. I'd like to think that music is immune to age. However, to start things off, I'll present music with a "paranormal" theme.

I hope you guys want to participate.

Yay!!! another Tool fan!

But I am a total and complete Pink Floyd nut lol

However having said that I am a musician so to even begin to compile the music I like makes my brain feel numb.. just far to much.

If you have not got into Opeth check them out.

I have a very big soft spot for hard edged European Metal and death metal.. I don't play the style myself (well not anymore), but I enjoy it.
Progressive rock is my thing.

ProphetofOccam

Paranormal Adept
If you don't mind instrumental music, how about some Bit Brigade? This video has them covering music from one of my favorite games of all time, Mega Man 2. The Mega Man games are known for their great music, which is why the series is known as Rockman in Japan, but I love hearing it brought to life through real instruments. Check it out:
I liked that, a lot. Another instrumental Nintendo themed band to check out, that you might like, are the OneUps. Power Glove is also a pretty good band in that area.

Most of the music I listen to is actually instrumental. For the last twelve or so years, the majority of the music I listen to is hindustani, progressive bluegrass, gypsy jazz, folk jazz and derivatives of those concepts. Though, I listen to a whole lot of stuff from my entire musical development.

I have a very big soft spot for hard edged European Metal and death metal.. I don't play the style myself (well not anymore), but I enjoy it.
Progressive rock is my thing.
The Opeth tune is good, but I have a hard time getting around death growl vocals to get to the meat of the instrumentation. I'd be into hearing some instrumentals, if they've got any. I know they cover a lot of ground, I've just never checked out much of what they do.

I'm pretty much into progressive anything. Progressive rock is amongst that anything. One of the first progressive rock bands I had ever heard, that wasn't Tool, was Genesis. At the age of 16 or 17, having only heard their 80's pop outings, I was reluctant when they were suggested to me. But, then i heard things like this, and I was in.

Jeff Davis

Paranormal Adept
A genuine love of music almost seems to be a common thread among those with strong Fortean interests. Personally, I am a music FREAK. Having been a musician myself for 35+ years now, and music hoard/collector for even longer, there really has never been a time in my life when I didn't prize music above most other things. My taste in music is so diverse I really wouldn't know where to start other than to state that at the very core of this passion resides a true love for heavy/hard rock. But truthfully, at any given time, you'll find everything from the likes of Big Tiny Little's Ragtime insanity to Skrillex's damaging Dubstep in my CD changers. As a life long bass player, turned electronic music producer/mad scientist over the years, I'd like to share two songs whose dichotomy is somewhat no more similar similar than East is to West. Nonetheless, some of the most killer bass playing these old ears have ever heard. Sampling a sample within a smaple in Mr. Beck's song, Hell Yes, I bid you "Please enjoy"

Firstly, IMO one the greatest low profile bassists of all time, Bob Daisley and the song "She's So Hard To Shake". Check out the fuzz bass lines in this old school Kahvas Jute monster from a time frame long prior to Bob's work with Uriah Heep or Ozzy.

Secondly, as mysterious and dark as any one Fortean fanatic could hope for, Mick Karn's work in the sadly short lived Dalis Car project.

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
Being a longtime synthesizer soundscape designer/sculpture, early on in the analog days I was heavily influenced by synthesists such as Brian Eno, Rick Wright (Pink Floyd) Larry Fast (Peter Gabriel Band), Taff Freeman (Nektar), Kerry Minear (Gentle Giant), Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Alan Parsons, Jean Michel Jarre—the list goes on... Here are a few examples w/ a sci-fi, transhumanist theme.

Larry Fast - Phobos and Deimos Go to Mars 1978

Alan Parsons -I Robot 1977

Kraftwerk-Pocket Calculator 1981

Kraftwerk (LIVE) - Heavy Metal Kids 1971
[yeah, when they first came out they actually played guitar and used some real drums before they invented the drum machine and first used those vocoders]

pixelsmith

Paranormal Adept
Here are a few videos from my friends and new favorite band Rev Peyton's Big Damn Band.
The last music I purchased from them was recorded in mono direct to tape then to vinyl. The set includes a 33 AND a 78 rpm record. Rev writes his lyrics in a delta blues style.