• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

MUFON - I took the leap.

Jeff Crowell

Paranormal Annoyance
So...I joined MUFON today, not because of the recent focus on one or two Paracast episodes but because I'm wanting to be more involved in investigations on hands-on research. Yes, MUFON has loads of baggage and they're slipping from the more scientific research into the more whoo-whoo aspects of UFO's, but the way I see it is this; MUFON is the longest standing, most established organization investigating UFO's today. That's not saying too much but what other options are there out there? My only other consideration is to start a UFO group myself and, well, who has the time and money for that?

So, let the mockery begin LOL! but I'm planning on attending the local meeting this weekend and I'm some what excited about it. On that note who else is a member of MUFON or other UFO group, and what has been your experience within?

Peace.

J.

So, let the mockery begin LOL! but I'm planning on attending the local meeting this weekend and I'm some what excited about it. On that note who else is a member of MUFON or other UFO group, and what has been your experience within?

Peace.

J.

It's the only game in town. Perhaps better members will result in a better organization.

So...I joined MUFON today, not because of the recent focus on one or two Paracast episodes but because I'm wanting to be more involved in investigations on hands-on research. Yes, MUFON has loads of baggage and they're slipping from the more scientific research into the more whoo-whoo aspects of UFO's, but the way I see it is this; MUFON is the longest standing, most established organization investigating UFO's today. That's not saying too much but what other options are there out there? My only other consideration is to start a UFO group myself and, well, who has the time and money for that?

Peace.

J.
I'm considering the same thing but I'm over in Scotland, don't know how standardised their methods or format is but I'd be really interested to hear any insiders perspective!

Hey, if you feel MUFON ( More UFO Nonsense ) deserves your time and money, it's yours to spend and I hope you find it rewarding. We ( USI ) have had more than one agent on the inside ;). My advice is that in case the day comes that you don't feel MUFON's dues are worth paying, but you still want to come away from it with something of lasting value, have a look at their UFO investigator's course. Though it's a bit pricey, last time I checked it was pretty good, and we honor the credentials here at USI, meaning that if you pass the MUFON program, you may qualify to become a certified field investigator with USI, and get a free USI Filed Investigator ID card that's good for life ( no dues ever ) whether you're still with MUFON or not.

Note that I say "may qualify" because there's at least one MUFON representative who I wouldn't have as a field investigator despite the fact that she's been on the news and even on the Paracast.

Last edited:
Hey, if you feel MUFON ( More UFO Nonsense ) deserves your time and money, it's yours to spend and I hope you find it rewarding. We ( USI ) have had more than one agent on the inside ;). My advice is that in case the day comes that you don't feel MUFON's dues are worth paying, but you still want to come away from it with something of lasting value, have a look at their UFO investigator's course. Though it's a bit pricey, last time I checked it was pretty good, and we honor the credentials here at USI, meaning that if you pass the MUFON program, you may qualify to become a certified field investigator with USI, and get a free USI Filed Investigator ID card that's good for life ( no dues ever ) whether you're still with MUFON or not.

Note that I say "may qualify" because there's at least one MUFON representative who I wouldn't have as a field investigator despite the fact that she's been on the news and even on the Paracast.
Does the USI have their own field investigators course? I've been doing paranormal investigation for a good number of years now and frankly the thought of paying someone to teach me how to investigate is not an appealing one.

If memory serves, along with some emails I've exchanged with you in the past, I'm already a member of USI, ufology. Below is an excerpt from one of our exchanges...

"Dear Jeff Crowell,

This is J. Randall Murphy writing from USI Calgary. Thank you very much for becoming a USIlifetime member. Your Membership ID is 20120125001. This year we are continuing to issuing free USI ID cards and stickers with each new membership. To be sure that you receive yours, please confirm that the following information is correct:
"

I still check my mail everyday, waiting for my card, :( . On that note do you have a 'branch' or 'chapter' of USI here in Indiana? When are your meetings and how often to you follow up on reports and claims here in my state?

If memory serves, along with some emails I've exchanged with you in the past, I'm already a member of USI, ufology. Below is an excerpt from one of our exchanges...

"Dear Jeff Crowell,

This is J. Randall Murphy writing from USI Calgary. Thank you very much for becoming a USIlifetime member. Your Membership ID is 20120125001. This year we are continuing to issuing free USI ID cards and stickers with each new membership. To be sure that you receive yours, please confirm that the following information is correct:
"

I still check my mail everyday, waiting for my card, :( . On that note do you have a 'branch' or 'chapter' of USI here in Indiana? When are your meetings and how often to you follow up on reports and claims here in my state?
That doesn't look promising! :confused:

"Dear Jeff Crowell,

"

Absolutely Jeff. I haven't forgotten, and I apologize to you and anyone else who has fallen through the cracks on the 2012 ID card promo. I don't have anyone else here helping me with them, so I'm completely to blame for getting sidetracked with other things. However as you know, I'm also easy to contact, and by all means, feel free to discuss any issues about USI that you want, either in a private conversation or out in the open forum. That's why I'm here. Regarding chapters or branches in Indiana, I'll check our database and contact you via a USI email. One of the main issues is that member contact information is private by default, so I can't release it unless they have indicated that being contacted is OK.

The other thing is that USI doesn't work like a typical club or society. We are an informal network, meaning there are no chapters or branches. Individual members choose their own level of involvement with very few political restrictions, and most choose to do very little. However if you are looking for things to do as an active member, just contact me. There are possibilities with projects I have in the works, including the USI website and other Internet projects, some of which have the potential to pay you rather than you forking over dues just to be a member.

although not the same thing, for a brief period (6 months) i was a member of the magonia exchange yahoo group run by chris aubek. this was several years ago shortly after he released his book ( co-authored by jacques vallee) wonders in the sky. The group, which is still running, is for the purpose of investigating and cataloguing aerial phenomenona prior to 1945. At the time i thought it was no big deal but after i was admitted i could see from the mailing list i was in a group with some heavy hitters, including chris, jacques, jerome clark and others whose name i have since forgotten but recognized at the time. i could see these were true investigators not a dilettante such as myself. In fact i got an email from another member, albert rosales; with whom i have a cordial relationship, that i was in with a stuffy and august group (my words, not his)

I left after about 6 months because, given the parameters and the fact that these guys did this for a living and thus had more time on their hand and one had to look in some very restricted spaces i didn't have a lot to contribute. More to the point was that these were nuts and bolts submissions only, there was no discussion about the cases themselves and the database was restricted (at least to us dilettantes) for most the time except for a couple of periods of one week, so i couldn't even look at all the cases , i just remember a couple involving judaculla rock that got my attention

speaking of stuffy and august group, i can see that i passed 2,000 posts. i want my cookie.

Last edited:
although not the same thing, for a brief period (6 months) i was a member of the magonia exchange yahoo group ...
Same here.
Speaking of stuffy and august group, i can see that i passed 2,000 posts. i want my cookie.
Good show :). It's amazing how fast they add up. If we had combined our efforts we could have written a book by now.

Absolutely Jeff. I haven't forgotten, and I apologize to you and anyone else who has fallen through the cracks on the 2012 ID card promo. I don't have anyone else here helping me with them, so I'm completely to blame for getting sidetracked with other things. However as you know, I'm also easy to contact, and by all means, feel free to discuss any issues about USI that you want, either in a private conversation or out in the open forum. That's why I'm here.

Randal, I was totally giving you a hard time on that, good-naturedly. I very much understand what it takes to run a website or other paranormal-type research group. It's a massive amount of work and when other things come along, that site or organization typically takes second priority.

It's actually this very reason why I signed up for the MUFON newsletter...they already are up and running, established, and moving along. All I have to do is toss some bucks their way, read their news letters, and visit their meetings at my own will. Still, I'm very interested in participating in USI for what I can do. :) .

That doesn't look promising! :confused:

Oh, it's just a membership card. I'd much rather be part of an organization that focuses more on content, material, and investigative work than distributing cards or providing decorative t-shirts. Believe me, I've seen those kinds of groups and they waste so much time with unimportant matters it's pointless to be a member.

That said, Randal is one of the best, most knowledgeable and organized resource coordinators I've ever seen. I have 100% faith in his USI, and back it completely in spirit if nothing else.

Does the USI have their own field investigators course? I've been doing paranormal investigation for a good number of years now and frankly the thought of paying someone to teach me how to investigate is not an appealing one.
USI had a course several years ago, and getting that revised is one of the projects on the drawing board. The difference between ours and MUFON's is that it was less intensive and far less costly, designed to give people fairly new to the field a basic working understanding of ufology before they go knocking on doors, asking questions, and interacting with the media. Plus we also recognize past experience and grant recognition for meritorious achievement. For example @Christopher O'Brien is such a member. His credentials are his books and videos and a longstanding genuine and constructive interest and participation in ufology. I think this is more fair that requiring people with valuable skills and experience to pay dues and undergo an expensive certification process that shouldn't be needed in order to be accepted as competent.

Of course all that being said, I have no problem with our members being part of other organizations, and calling MUFON "More UFO Nonsense" is mostly just tongue and cheek. Though I personally wouldn't pay a dime to join because of their political structure and policies, there are good points to the organization as well. They have gathered a lot of information over the years and IMO have contributed positively overall. I've also tried to network with them more than once in good faith, and in the spirit of seeking out the truth behind the UFO phenomenon, but they have always refused or ignored the offer. So nobody can say I haven't tried to build bridges. Maybe the new guy will make some progress.

Last edited:
Oh, it's just a membership card. I'd much rather be part of an organization that focuses more on content, material, and investigative work than distributing cards or providing decorative t-shirts. Believe me, I've seen those kinds of groups and they waste so much time with unimportant matters it's pointless to be a member. That said, Randal is one of the best, most knowledgeable and organized resource coordinators I've ever seen. I have 100% faith in his USI, and back it completely in spirit if nothing else.
Randall, I was totally giving you a hard time on that, good-naturedly. I very much understand what it takes to run a website or other paranormal-type research group. It's a massive amount of work and when other things come along, that site or organization typically takes second priority.

It's actually this very reason why I signed up for the MUFON newsletter...they already are up and running, established, and moving along. All I have to do is toss some bucks their way, read their news letters, and visit their meetings at my own will. Still, I'm very interested in participating in USI for what I can do. :) .

Thanks so much Jeff. BTW, I deserve to be given a hard time when I drop the ball and I really appreciate you being so good-natured about it. I'm also completely sincere when I say that I hope you find your experience with MUFON rewarding. I've had casual contact with quite a few of their members over the years and for the most part have found the general membership to be really good folks. So you'll probably make some good contacts and have a few good times. Please keep us posted from time to time!

That's really cool man. Baggage aside, I think it would be awesome to potentially see some firsthand evidence. Keep us posted if anything interesting comes up :)

We've swerved into the topic of MUFON's one abiding strength: Visible continuity. Like bad fast food hamburgers-- always open for business and highly visible. It's another of society's great mysteries.

Back