• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Michio Kaku

TClaeys

Skilled Investigator
Think there is a chance you might be able to interview this guy??

You know, we look into the possibilities of the UFO phenomenon and we look at multiple dimensions as a candidate. Yet I don't recall any expert in this field that may be able to provide some answers. Or perhaps more questions.

Anyway I'm sure lots of people have seen Michio in many broadcasts over the years. Perhaps he could shed some light on the workings of modern physics and the seriousness of tangent theoretics in this realm. What is the state of String theory and M-brane? Is it a highly regarded quest for answers or a futile yet creative reach for explanations?

Anyway I'm wondering if you think he might be a good guest. Or even someone else highly regarded and respected in this scientific underworld.

He also has descriptive terms for the Types of E.T. Civilizations that might actually exist. Types 0-3 I think. Plenty of interesting material right there all based in theory.

Type 1, 2, & 3 Civilizations

Type I – this civilization harnesses the energy output of an entire planet.

Type II – this civilization harnesses the energy output of a star, and generates about 10 billion times the energy output of a Type I civilization.

Type III – this civilization harnesses the energy output of a galaxy, or about 10 billion time the energy output of a Type II civilization.

A Type I civilization would be able to manipulate truly planetary energies. They might, for example, control or modify their weather. They would have the power to manipulate planetary phenomena, such as hurricanes, which can release the energy of hundreds of hydrogen bombs. Perhaps volcanoes or even earthquakes may be altered by such a civilization.

A Type II civilization may resemble the Federation of Planets seen on the TV program Star Trek (which is capable of igniting stars and has colonized a tiny fraction of the near-by stars in the galaxy). A Type II civilization might be able to manipulate the power of solar flares.

A Type III civilization may resemble the Borg, or perhaps the Empire found in the Star Wars saga. They have colonized the galaxy itself, extracting energy from hundreds of billions of stars.

By contrast, we are a Type 0 civilization, which extracts its energy from dead plants (oil and coal). Growing at the average rate of about 3% per year, however, one may calculate that our own civilization may attain Type I status in about 100-200 years, Type II status in a few thousand years, and Type III status in about 100,000 to a million years. These time scales are insignificant when compared with the universe itself.

I saw him posting on ATS in the past, can't seem to locate his profile there now though.

He is also on MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/mkaku

Interesting timing, eh?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/03/23/sv_michex.xml

Ummm is it me ... or is the whole idea about a civilisation harnessing the power of a sun or many suns in a galaxy a bit ... ummm ... over doing things a bit.

If Arthur C Clarke (who's just died by the way people ...) was right, and any sufficiently developed civilisation would have technology which to us would seem magical ... why would they have to do something so utterly over the top to fuel their civilisation ... surely hooking yourself up to a star and feeding off it in someway (excepting giant solar arrays and things) would be a bit ... conspicuous as well???? :D

Wouldn't a civilisation many years ahead of ours in energy development be able to harness the zero point energy field and/or other exotic ways of harnessing the abundant energy in the universe without resort to ripping whole suns apart???

Just a wee thought over my breakfast cuppa coffee :D

Yep, looks like he does podcasts too.

http://www.chuckchat.com/technorama/?p=703

I find him fascinating and informative, forward looking to which is something we need.

schticknz said:
Ummm is it me ... or is the whole idea about a civilisation harnessing the power of a sun or many suns in a galaxy a bit ... ummm ... over doing things a bit.

If Arthur C Clarke (who's just died by the way people ...) was right, and any sufficiently developed civilisation would have technology which to us would seem magical ... why would they have to do something so utterly over the top to fuel their civilisation ... surely hooking yourself up to a star and feeding off it in someway (excepting giant solar arrays and things) would be a bit ... conspicuous as well???? :D

Wouldn't a civilisation many years ahead of ours in energy development be able to harness the zero point energy field and/or other exotic ways of harnessing the abundant energy in the universe without resort to ripping whole suns apart???

Just a wee thought over my breakfast cuppa coffee :D

I don't think he's claiming that such a civilization would "harness" the power of a sun or galaxy. Does he actually use that word? Instead, he's referring to a hypothetical civilization which produces about as much energy as a sun or galaxy.

Let us hope that there aren't any civilizations that harness the power of a galaxy coming to the Milky Way. That'd be a disaster.

Chuckleberryfinn said:
I don't think he's claiming that such a civilization would "harness" the power of a sun or galaxy. Does he actually use that word? Instead, he's referring to a hypothetical civilization which produces about as much energy as a sun or galaxy.

Let us hope that there aren't any civilizations that harness the power of a galaxy coming to the Milky Way. That'd be a disaster.

Yep fair enough ... although I remember a Stephen Baxter story regarding a civilisation building a door to another universe using billions of stars I seem to remember. Took them a few (million/billion) years to do it too ... kind of created a bit of a mess in their part of the universe too I think :p.

Not exactly harnessing energy I guess but again possibly a little over kill for such a evolved super-civilisation?? :D

I mean look at the way our technology is shrinking in size. Everything is getting smaller ... computers, bars of chocolate ... dwarves ... as we get more able to use the world around us, ways of manipulating said world around us seem to get smaller.

I don't know ... maybe I'm just wildly insane :eek::p

Back