• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Micah Hanks: Is Serious UFO Research Going Underground

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
In response to a recent article from New York magazine about the sad state of the UFO field, cutting-edge theorist Micah Hanks suggests that the most productive research is actually going underground in this article:

Micah Hanks | News From the Edge

So is it time to give up on Ufology and let it die a well-deserved death, or find ways to make it relevant all over again?

Micah will be joining us along with a listener roundtable that includes Goggs Mackay and other regulars for a recording session on Thursday, August 14 at 10 AM Pacific.

Questions:

Seems that serious UFO research isn't going underground so much as it's going broke, that is unless you happen to be someone like Bigelow. What would you do if you suddenly won the lottery and had ten million dollars to spend on "serious UFO research"?

On Gray Street, will we ever learn the fate of Red Pill Junkie? Or am I missing a link someplace?

Last edited:
Seems that serious UFO research isn't going underground so much as it's going broke, that is unless you happen to be Bigelow, and who knows exactly what he's been up to. What would you do if you suddenly won the lottery and had ten million dollars to spend on "serious research"?

Most UFO researchers would either spend it on coke and hookers or vanish to the Bahamas within 12 hours.

I would like to hear Micah and the other RT participants weigh in with their feelings on Mike Clelland ' s recent post on open minds. NiT Mike's level of involvement in the posting but the implications of what was said by others.

The possible unsettling implications of UFO sightings | Openminds.tv

Last minute edit: mike's reply yesterday on his blog to which rpj, chris and myself chimed in on.

hidden experience: The Paracast comments on the recent Open Minds article

Also @Micah i see from a recent post on your site you report of a synchronicity between flights TWA 800 and MH 17 regarding the date. Are you aware of Loren Coleman's recent series of postings about the trident shape image on Malaysian airlines tail and how the trident has been popping up all of a sudden( in his view)?

Last edited:
For the question bank...

If there was one person you could blame for the waning of Ufology, who is it in your opinion.

How as the internet helped or hurt UFOlogy and paranormal investigations - can you give examples of both the good and the bad of the web?

Give us your essential reading list, please. I would love to know what's on your bookshelf.

Last edited:
Not a question rather observation its has allways had a strong element of research underground already by open minded scientist , general folks going on what other historical researchers have stipulated in books and talks on the UFO/Strange Awarraness for example late Mr John Keeland remember the late Ingo Swan man image what he must of seen with the RM sessions for freinds and even just doing art work and if his stuff on the moon is real it would surley must of scared the daylights out some folks? Also it reminds me of Admrial Byrds so called other book sounds similar to Ingos both worked in highest places with security clearences but produce sci-fi classics?

I hope that Micah talks about Mark Jacobson’s article entitled: “The End of UFOs”, along with Steven Basset, and the highly coveted,“Excellence in Ufology”, award presented to Bassett.

The End of UFOs -- NYMag

Below is quoted from Bassett, in Mr. Jacobson’s article:

“Bassett had just finished telling me that the Roswell crash probably resulted from the mid-air collision of two alien craft in a thunder storm. This happened, he said, because these were relatively primitive ships. Bassett said he “liked” this explanation. Other people did too.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Ufology Going Underground:

1) When you think of the history of what has actually been accomplished scientifically in the study of UFO's vs. all the charlatans, cults, speculators and hoaxers do you think it's better that the core study of ufology becomes an invisible college in order to make proper progress?

2) You referenced the study of earthquake lights in your article and how scientific pursuits in other fields may continue to illuminate the truth about unidentified aerial lights. Greg Bishop often says that the truth about UFO's will come from someone working in some other unrelated field. What scientific fields of study, and underground researchers, do you think hold the most promise for being able to get a better handle on the UFO phenomena?

3) The field of Alien Abduction research has suffered a lot of critical deaths over the recent years (Mack, Hopkins, Turner, Leir) and is not something talked about as often as it once was. Where do you fall with regards to alien abduction: do you see this as a real physical event, psycho-social or something that's highly unlikely and is mostly to blame for why society openly mocks the entire idea of alien visitation in the first place?

I hope that Micah talks about Mark Jacobson’s article entitled: “The End of UFOs”, along with Steven Basset, and the highly coveted,“Excellence in Ufology”, award presented to Bassett.

The End of UFOs -- NYMag

Below is quoted from Bassett, in Mr. Jacobson’s article:

“Bassett had just finished telling me that the Roswell crash probably resulted from the mid-air collision of two alien craft in a thunder storm. This happened, he said, because these were relatively primitive ships. Bassett said he “liked” this explanation. Other people did too.”

Just read the article, an interesting read to be sure, but my attention was more drawn to the comments section which Michael Horn...sorry Gene...All but commandeered with essentially the same post over and over again. And over and over again after that.

Last edited:
1) Are you a Transhumanist and 2045 singularity convert? Do you want to do what Ray Kurzweil promotes... like live forever and upload your mind into AI?

2) Is the Master Race and breakaway [civilization] "control system" here now? What is "their" agenda and their ET agenda?

Last edited:
Just read the article, an interesting read to be sure, but my attention was more drawn to the comments section which Michael Horn...sorry Gene...All but commandeered with essentially the same post over and over again. And over and over again after that.

Unbelievable, as in tow, Gil Carlson has now joined in the comment section of the “The End of UFOs” , attempting to peddle his fantasies for $24.95.

Reagan-Roswell-UFO

The End of UFOs -- NYMag

Last edited by a moderator:
Back