• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

May 13th Show Questions

DBTrek

The Deacon of Beacon Hill
I enjoyed listening to the May 13th show with Jeff, especially the segments relating to UFO photographs. During the interview Jeff mentioned that UFO photo fakery has reached a level that will make it difficult for experts to identify.

This causes me to wonder if Dave and/or Jeff are confident that we have not already reached that time? Another way to ask this would be: could Dave or Jeff (using their full expertise) create a UFO photograph that the other would be unable to identify as faked?

As for the cigar shaped ships . . . I remember during one of my Astronomy classes the professor mentioned that gravity decreased at an exponential rate as it moves away from its source. If this is the case it would be very difficult for *any* ship to use the gravity of distant stars for propulsion.

Good show.

-DBTrek

what use is a cigar shape in space? i thought a big old square block will travel just as efficiently as a streamlined rocket shape in space.

pixelsmith said:
what use is a cigar shape in space? i thought a big old square block will travel just as efficiently as a streamlined rocket shape in space.

The most logical explanation I've heard so far is economy of space. Since the smaller craft are discs, it would make sense to have them "stacked" in the mothership like a pack of lifesavers.

If you listen to the episode, you'll hear the reasons I've been thinking about for the cigar shape - it has to do with sheer resistance and structural integrity, to handle what I assume would be the crushing force involved in moving at the speeds they would have to employ to move between star systems. It's just intuition, of course, there's no proof of anything. Based on the relation between the size of the cigar ship I saw, and the discs that emerged from it, the idea of stacking the discs in a lateral fashion is not relevant IMO.

dB

i did hear your reasons David and it caused me to think about reasons as well. i know nothing about sheer resistance but i would think a ball shape or a square would be structurally sound in space.

I have an observation that I want to share and have your opinion. At the end of the show, Jeff is saying that he was seeing a sphere and his wife didn't, and he just took a step sideway and didn't see it anymore. Well they where saying that it could be like a projection, mental or physical. But I was thinking that it could also be that if they use field that bends light around them it's possible that they could have an angle that doesn't work. I think that it's two do. And that if you look at it in any other angle you don't see it, but the minute that you get to that angle, voila, it's there! It's just something that hit me went he said it.....

DBTrek said:
I enjoyed listening to the May 13th show with Jeff, especially the segments relating to UFO photographs...

Yeah. That last half sure was boring. Jeez, who was that dopey guest in the second half anyway? :p

Ghis said:
...At the end of the show, Jeff is saying that he was seeing a sphere and his wife didn't, and he just took a step sideway and didn't see it anymore. Well they where saying that it could be like a projection, mental or physical. But I was thinking that it could also be that if they use field that bends light around them it's possible that they could have an angle that doesn't work. I think that it's two do. And that if you look at it in any other angle you don't see it, but the minute that you get to that angle, voila, it's there! It's just something that hit me went he said it.....

Another excellent theory to consider. To use an aging corporate phrase, let's "dovetail" that into David's observations, shall we? :p I recall that David's encounter with a large spliff (oops) I mean cigar-shaped UFO (sorry, I'm feeling a little goofy tonight), involved 3 spheres which ejected from the craft, positioned themselves like destroyers around a battleship, and then suddenly blipped out of site. Now, David postulated that the craft didn't go anywhere, that it was likely that something was malfunctioning which blocks the object from view, and whatever that malfunction was, caused the craft to become visible...So, couldn't that "something" be related to the propulsions system, more specifically, related to the bending of light and other forms of energy perhaps, around the craft? In that context, it fits perfectly with your thoughts. Jeff's sighting could have been a similar kind of malfunction, yes? Perhaps part of 'something' out there was visible by Jeff at a certain angle, due to a failing whatever on the craft, which normally bends light. Ghis, I think your observations parallel Davids quite well.

Embarrasingly enough, I've listened to the episode a couple times now ;) , and one thing I keep coming back to, which Jeff suggested, was the potential subjectivity of UFO encounters (such as the one Jeff himself experienced). You know, there's another poster in the BT thread, BayAreaMom, who draws that conclusion, and I've read it elsewhere as well: The idea that these experiences (call them what you will) are 'intended' for those observers to see and experience. He argued that this was not outside the realm of possibility, and the more I muster up the strength to imagine this scenario, the more plausible it could be..."Just as plausible as any other theory I suppose", to use Ritzmann-speak.

So, is it a mechanical issue, or is it a subjective issue? Frankly, I think that touches upon a key issue in Ufology. What are they, and what are their intentions? How are we connected to them? Are UFO's separate and alien from the human experience, or are they integral?

My head is spinning. I need a 'cigar'! ;)

If the craft has to travel through any atmosphere, disc and cylindrical shape is optimal. Lift, drag, and sonic boom production is not as big of a deal with disc or cylindrical shapes. Even if the craft spends most of it's time in outer space, it may still launch from a planet, or occasionally enter a planet's atmosphere, so aerodynamics plays a significant role still.

Anyone else find the whole cylindrical craft thing a bit on-the-nose regarding guild starliners in Dune?

David Biedny said:
If you listen to the episode, you'll hear the reasons I've been thinking about for the cigar shape - it has to do with sheer resistance and structural integrity, to handle what I assume would be the crushing force involved in moving at the speeds they would have to employ to move between star systems. It's just intuition, of course, there's no proof of anything. Based on the relation between the size of the cigar ship I saw, and the discs that emerged from it, the idea of stacking the discs in a lateral fashion is not relevant IMO.

dB

Hi David, I just wanted to add my opinion here. If they are from another star system then I think they have found a way to bend space or travel through a different kind of space. Probably neither of which is helped or hindered by the shape of the ship in space. But I could be wrong.

My intuition tells me that the shape of their ships follows some other concern...and for all we know the ships might morph depending on what they are doing.

Tom Levine said:
...In that context, it fits perfectly with your thoughts. Jeff's sighting could have been a similar kind of malfunction, yes? Perhaps part of 'something' out there was visible by Jeff at a certain angle, due to a failing whatever on the craft, which normally bends light. Ghis, I think your observations parallel Davids quite well.

I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's a malfunction. But a byproduct of the technologie, or the limitation of it.... I think (and that's the only thing I can do, cause I don't know) that it's base on magnetic technologie, way more advance then anything we know, but still follow the same principale for the field. And it would make sense that at the pole of the generator, it would have less density. Remember the Magnitic field around the earth, how it looks like at the pole.

Ho yes, I had another possible explanation for the uncloaking of David Cigar ship (trying to find a better word, but being french I can't seem to find any. :eek:)). Possibly the cigar shape being probably a carrier of other ships, have to uncloak for letting the other craft exit. Remember about the magnetic field. This field is way more powerful then anything we know. A big ship like this, like David was explaning would need more then one field generator so probably need to lower it's fields strenth to let them exit. End the minute there out of the field maximum parameter the Cigar Ship goes back in cloak mode. It sounds more and more like a mix of a Star Wars and Star Treck movie, no.....

Well hope it makes sense. Like I said I'm not a physicist but I like to imagine how this thing would work and sense I realise that it's base on a Magnetic field bubble around the object, well every sighting makes sense. To me anyway, but it's just what I think and at the end of the day, doesn't really mather, but just wanted to share my thoughts.

Be well.

As far as all of this speculating goes...ain't it fun ;)

Who needs Heinlein, when you've got The Paracast!

Methuselahs_Children.jpg

I suppose that the more theories we throw on the table, the more likely it is that almost all of us will end up being wrong. That said, one of us will probably be dead on right.

Back