• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mars anomaly 2016 : perfect triangle object on the red planet

That's a pretty imperfect perfect triangle.

In fact, it looks just like one of the three sisters in Canmore, a stone's throw from Calgary.
The-Three-Sisters-Szmurlo.jpg

I've seen plenty of NASA rover images that don't seem to be easily explained by normal geological processes we know about - of course, we can cite the 'Giant's Causeway' in Northern Ireland and other amazing natural formations.
There are numerous examples of nature producing amazing shapes but there is no getting away from the fact that nature usually favours fractal patters, wear patterns and other formations/rocks we have here.

I keep an open mind, especially about 'the face' because, even after we saw the newest hi-res photos, it was the bi-lateral symmetry of the outline of the face that remained still very face-like and to me, unlikely.

I've seen plenty of NASA rover images that don't seem to be easily explained by normal geological processes we know about - of course, we can cite the 'Giant's Causeway' in Northern Ireland and other amazing natural formations.
There are numerous examples of nature producing amazing shapes but there is no getting away from the fact that nature usually favours fractal patters, wear patterns and other formations/rocks we have here.

I keep an open mind, especially about 'the face' because, even after we saw the newest hi-res photos, it was the bi-lateral symmetry of the outline of the face that remained still very face-like and to me, unlikely.

I just don't see it... the 'cat box' photo killed it for me.

What kind of erosion is there on Mars? One would think the thin atmosphere would slow it down tremendously, and stuff would last a long time in pretty pristine condtion.

There's no roads, mines, large scale infrastructure projects. No dams, directed waterworks. No cosmodrome. No nuclear cooling towers (how did they build giant nukes without enrichment reactors?)

One would think with an atmospheric density so low and no tectonics to speak of that impact craters stick around millions of years would mean that similar industrial activity signs would stick around, too.

Hell, we have strip mines here on earth that would probably show on satellite photos for hundreds of thousands of years. And that's with a thick atmosphere, active volcanism, and life eroding everything.

I just don't see it... the 'cat box' photo killed it for me.

What kind of erosion is there on Mars? One would think the thin atmosphere would slow it down tremendously, and stuff would last a long time in pretty pristine condtion.

There's no roads, mines, large scale infrastructure projects. No dams, directed waterworks. No cosmodrome. No nuclear cooling towers (how did they build giant nukes without enrichment reactors?)

One would think with an atmospheric density so low and no tectonics to speak of that impact craters stick around millions of years would mean that similar industrial activity signs would stick around, too.

Hell, we have strip mines here on earth that would probably show on satellite photos for hundreds of thousands of years. And that's with a thick atmosphere, active volcanism, and life eroding everything.

Maybe the atmosphere was much more dense in the past and there was greater erosion and maybe we're talking about activity hundreds of millions of years ago, not hundreds of thousands.

Maybe the atmosphere was much more dense in the past and there was greater erosion and maybe we're talking about activity hundreds of millions of years ago, not hundreds of thousands.
And the only thing left is a funny shaped hill that has no analogues in earth and yet looks like a caricature of Lon Chaney's mummy as long as it's in low Rez B&w film?

And the only thing left is a funny shaped hill that has no analogues in earth and yet looks like a caricature of Lon Chaney's mummy as long as it's in low Rez B&w film?

I don't know if this particular mountain is artificial; it could be a natural formation.

I don't know if this particular mountain is artificial; it could be a natural formation.
I was literally playing out a scenario where ancient mars was like the scene from heavy metal where the bald dude dives into the water with the naked chick.

"And the lok-nar looked down the the dusty ages of mars and cast the visage upon the lowly hillside as a warning to mankind... a visage of the mighty Dan."

Maybe I need to sleep.

I was literally playing out a scenario where ancient mars was like the scene from heavy metal where the dude dives into the water with the naked chick.

"And the lok-nar looked down the the dusty ages of mars and cast the visage upon the lowly hillside as a warning to mankind... a visage of the mighty Dan."

Maybe I need to sleep.

I know nothing of heavy metal so your comment is beyond my comprehension.

Probably not. Mars has dust storms. Wind and sand can erode just as much as water can. Even though the atmosphere is thinner, there is less gravity on Mars, too. So it might take less than you'd think to kick up a good windstorm.

Probably not. Mars has dust storms. Wind and sand can erode just as much as water can. Even though the atmosphere is thinner, there is less gravity on Mars, too. So it might take less than you'd think to kick up a good windstorm.
Why all the craters then?

Crustal stability on Mars results in the preservation of much older features. On Earth, surface materials are recycled at a relatively rapid rate by erosional processes and subduction. The two processes are commonly interdependent; for example, erosion is greatly increased in mountainous regions along subduction zones. On Mars, however, recycling of crustal materials is extremely slow, as evidenced by the preservation of large areas of old, densely cratered terrain that probably dates back approximately four billion years.

Crustal stability may also be the cause of the large size of the Martian volcanoes. On Earth, volcanoes are limited in size because plate motion usually carries them away from the magma source. On Mars, however, a volcano remains over its source and can continue to grow as long as magma is available.

The preservation of features billions of years old on the Martian surface indicates extremely low erosion rates. On Earth, most erosion results from running water. Small channels in the old cratered terrain of Mars are evidence of an early period of fluvial action, but survival of the old craters indicates that the period was short. For most of the planet's history, wind has probably been the main erosive agent. Despite giant dust storms, however, the wind clearly has not been very efficient in eroding the surface, because so much old terrain survives. Most of the wind's action probably involves reworking previously eroded debris.
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-441/ch2.htm

I think if there was a civilization there, we'd still see it's remnants today.

Back