• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Marden/Stoner show

Stagger Lee

Paranormal Adept
Thanks Gene and Chris for asking my question- We just purchased a "Tablet" for the house and I am able to catch up on shows anywhere around the house instead of being confined to our computer room.
I didn't want to kick up an old thread last posted in June, so I started one here.
Gene, you mention the old tune Stagger Lee from back in the 50's. I don't know the exact year that song was created, but there have been many different versions through out the years. My fav version done by J Garcia, tells a story about the old west, Stagger Lee being a big mean fellow who lost his hat in a card game to another fellow named Billy DeLyan- rather than turn over his hat, he pulls out a pistol and kills DeLyan. DeLyans wife demands justice from the town LawDogs, who are afraid of Stagger Lee. So she borrows a pistol, goes down to the pub and sits next to Stagger lee, who is unaware of the widow sitting next to him. As he goes to light a ciggarette, she pulls out her gun and shoots him between the legs- Stagger Lee is brought to the courthouse and hung for his crime. I'm not familiar with the 50's version of this tune.. but it has always had a ring of justice being carried out, by those we least expect. Or at least the whole, what comes around goes around thing going on in that song.
Anyway, thanks for the show, and questions- enjoyed it very much.

I remember the Lloyd Price version. Indeed, Price is still alive, but these days apparently is involved in a company that focuses on Southern-style food, according to the Wikipedia version.

So it says, "Stack-o-Lee" is an old blues standard recorded many times previously by other artists. Greil Marcus, in a critical analysis of the song's history, has written that Price's was an enthusiastic hard rock version with a screaming saxophone.In all of these early recordings of Lloyd Price, Merritt Mel Dalton was the lead Sax Man on the recordings of "Personality, Stagger Lee, I'm gonna get married etc..," Merritt, was in the traveling band as well and appeared on the Ed Sullivan show with Lloyd Price."

Back