• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mac Tonnies and the Paranormal Mainstream

P

Paul Kimball

[Original at: The Other Side of Truth: Mac Tonnies and the Paranormal Mainstream]

Mac Tonnies and the Paranormal Mainstream

I had a long chat with my good friend Mac Tonnies this evening, which always makes me smile, because when we start talking to each other it feels like a jam session with the old band, where we would just play and play until we were played out (just check out our extended, extemporaneous riffing with Greg Bishop on our 2006 Radio Misterioso gig to see what I mean).

Mac is one of the brightest and most articulate people involved in the paranormal / esoteric field of study, and is always well worth a listen, even when, as is sometimes the case with me, one might disagree with him. It is to the enduring shame of Coast to Coast, that the likes of Richard C. Hoagland and Linda Moulton Howe make regular appearances and pretend that they know what they're talking about, whereas Mac has never been invited to be on the show. The Coast people are shortchanging their listeners - in a big way. So too are most conference organizers, who invite the likes of Michael Horn or Steven Greer, but routinely ignore guys like Mac, who might actually say something worth listening to.

What Coast and these conferences are doing, of course, is preaching to the converted. It was undoubtedly a sound business model in the past, but it will eventually run afoul of the law of diminishing returns, i.e. without some new blood with some new ideas, people will eventually get bored, and stop coming or listening. Given the declining numbers across the board at conferences, it should be clear that this process is already underway.

Of course, Mac isn't the guy you want at your conference or on your show if you just want to reinforce the audience's pre-existing beliefs, or to make them feel better. But if you want to challenge people, and stimulate them, and introduce them to ideas and concepts with which they may not be familiar - and isn't that what you should be doing - then Mac is one of the guys you want on board. But when was the last time that the "mainstream" paranormal / esoteric community actually wanted to challenge anyone with new ideas?

And there's the irony with the situation Mac finds himself in, and Greg Bishop, and others - in a field of study where the weird, wacky and far-out should be the coin of the realm, where ideas should matter, and where an intelligent discourse should be paramount, most people have settled for the familiar, comfortable, and easy-to-digest orthodoxy of the commercialized paranormal establishment. "Same old, same old" is the rule, not the exception. Which is why fewer and fewer people seem to care these days.

Religion may be the opiate of the masses in the general sense (or one of them), but in the paranormal / esoteric world, it's Coast to Coast, and Linda Moulton Howe, and Richard Hoagland, and most conferences, and so forth. The stagnation is palpable. It reeks of complacency.

It's not too late to change that, mind you. A good start would be for one of the Coast producers to give Mac a call, or shoot him an e-mail, and invite him on for a full three hour long show.

In the meantime, if you haven't done so, check out Mac's blog, The Posthuman Blues, which is an always interesting, and often amusing, grab bag of stuff, both paranormal and otherwise.

paulkimball said:
It's not too late to change that, mind you. A good start would be for one of the Coast producers to give Mac a call, or shoot him an e-mail, and invite him on for a full three hour long show.

Good luck. As is the case with most media outlets including the music industry, the most talented dont get their just exposure. The ones that should be playing sold out shows at any venue are playing coffee houses and small halls.

In a way, I like that. It makes the information more select. Think about the Coast2Coast audience demo...I think alot of what Mac would have to say would be lost on the great number of them.

He doesnt talk about Liz Taylor back from Mars with a great new diet-using "just like sugar"...;)

jritzmann said:
In a way, I like that. It makes the information more select. Think about the Coast2Coast audience demo...I think alot of what Mac would have to say would be lost on the great number of them.

I tend to agree that Mac would probably be a bridge too far for most of the C2C audience. But that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be on there - the point should be to challenge people, and not just feed them the same old crap.

I know, I know... I'm a cock-eyed optimist! :)

Paul

It wouldn't just be lost on most Coast to Coast listeners, but would in my opinion be rejected. Tonnies, from what I've heard on various internet audio shows, comes across with the voice of a rational educated person who is discussing topics he finds interesting or compelling, and not just trying to sell something. That is anathema to what that audience wants, at least as can be judged not just by continued listening to the bull**** topics and style Noory has on, but by the call-ins. And I'm not just being cynical. I think that Coast to Coast has two aspects. One is paranormal/esoteric/whatever. The other is populist, and especially under Noory, that populism is at least as important an aspect of the show and its audience as the paranormal stuff. Going in sounding sophisticated works great on internet audio, but is just a recipe for a train wreck on Coast to Coast.

I can understand the reasons for wanting to go on the show, or on one of the woo-woo shows on cable, as it means major exposure to sell books. But it won't mean anything more than that.

paulkimball said:
[Original at: The Other Side of Truth: Mac Tonnies and the Paranormal Mainstream]

The stagnation is palpable. It reeks of complacency.

Yep, that sounds like a few religions I know...

To drag it out a little further, what you're talking about is tantamount to conversion of the masses, right? I mean, C2C is essentially a canned product sold to a very specific group with specific beliefs. I would even go as far to say a specific mentality (and yes, I am being cynical). I don't know about you guys, but I just don't have that much faith in "the masses". By getting Mac a spot on C2C you're not raising them up, you're bringing Mac down. IMHO, you need to circumvent that group entirely in order to usurp that mode of thinking. Otherwise you're just playing the same old game.

The Paracast is exactly what's needed and it's exactly the right sort of forum. It may not be the huge venue that C2C is, but it's starting out without all of the other insipid baggage that C2C carries. Now it just needs to grow.

BTW, I caught the first of the Noory shows on the SciFi channel. Well, just the first ten minutes, really. It sounded like an infomercial.

Back