• SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Paracast, the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, plus show transcripts, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, Classic Episodes and Special Features categories! We now offer lifetime memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://www.theparacast.com/plus/

The Official Paracast Store is back! Check out our latest lineup of customized stuff at: The Official Paracast Store!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

January 6, 2019 — Yovav Gad

Doppelganger

Paranormal Novice
Links? Please explain so I can look into it.
The post simply explained my (hopefully) constructive criticism of Yovav's appearance. It contains no links or inappropriate words. I'm not sure how to share it with you. I don't see an email option (I'm new here) and tried to "start a conversation" which the system wouldn't allow for the same reason I received for my post.

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
I really don't see anything in your account setup that would block you. Please click on the Contact us link at the bottom of the forum page and send me the info so I can look into it.

Doppelganger

Paranormal Novice
Links? Please explain so I can look into it.
The post simply explained my (hopefully) constructive criticism of Yovav's appearance. It contains no links or inappropriate words. I'm not sure how to share it with you. I don't see an email option (I'm new here) and tried to "start a conversation" which the system wouldn't allow for the same reason I received for my post.

DavidVincent

Skilled Investigator
I’d like to hear what you have to say.
I also have a few further questions. Am I possibly missing something that’s going on in another paracast domain/format? A Twitter or Facebook forum perhaps? During my brief visit here I really can’t see much activity going on in these forums. How many members actually are there here? Or do most people just take the free downloads?

Doppelganger

Paranormal Novice
I’d like to hear what you have to say.
I also have a few further questions. Am I possibly missing something that’s going on in another paracast domain/format? A Twitter or Facebook forum perhaps? During my brief visit here I really can’t see much activity going on in these forums. How many members actually are there here? Or do most people just take the free downloads?
Thanks. I'm surprised about the lack of traffic here, too. I just signed up, so I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe a forum veteran can help us out.

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
The thing is, to my mind, it is a consumer perspective which is pertinent here. If something/one is putting itself out there as being "The Gold Standard" in any undertaking then it implies that it has (of itself) the ability to deliver to that standard as a high quality content provider- and its a high benchmark to deliver so shouldn't be trumpeted lightly? ... shouldn't have to rely on it's audience to provide the content, time, effort etc.
I misinterpreted your comment. I thought you were referring to UFO Today, not The Paracast.
If the show has morphed from it's previous premier status to that of a volunteer participation organisation, or has run out of steam content-wise (due to there now being many more internet shows, and less actually happening) then its maybe time for a rethink of the show's format/frequency and maintain the quality (the earlier shows definitely deserved the Gold Standard accolade!)?
All fair points, but I don't make those calls either. I do however make suggestions, and if anyone has some specific ideas on format changes, then post them. All constructive suggestions and comments will be considered.
Otherwise Maybe it's best to bow out on a high - rather than scrape the ufological barrel?
We've had some very contentious guests on in the past that due to their style of participation in the field would be considered by some to be "bottom of the barrel", e.g. the Cousins brothers, and they get the same treatment. If you're looking only for star power personalities in the field of ufology, then you'll have to pick and choose. But personally, I like that we feature relative unknowns from time to time, as well as guests from our forum, and in no way do I think that detracts from the quality of the show. I suppose much of what constitutes standards is very subjective.
But there again perhaps there is an audience for this sort of thing? - it's a good a hobby as anything maybe and it's free.
I'm not sure of our audience numbers, but @Gene Steinberg says the show gets a lot of downloads. Whatever the case, I'd say that it's more than a hobby for me. Gene can speak to his side of things, but I contend that hobbies are relatively trivial pastimes to those who do them rather than the things they see as activities that help them fulfill their purpose in life, and that monetary gain is only relevant when differentiating between professional and non-professional in a business sense ( as opposed to a qualitative aspect ).

So for example, ufologists, artists, and musicians are those who do those activities as more than pastimes, whether they get paid for doing them or not. Referring to their work as "hobbies" implies that what they're doing lacks substance in terms of personal importance, which IMO risks the comment being taken in a pejorative manner.

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
I tried to reply to this, but was blocked because, "Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements." For the life of me, I see nothing spam-like or controversial in my post.
Hmm. Weird. The forum acts up sometimes. You can always send the content via email and that way we can look at it to see what if anything is causing the problem. Personally I haven't seen it or moderated it, so I don't know why you're having trouble.

DavidVincent

Skilled Investigator
Ok thanks for your comprehensive response USI - I now have a much better idea of the podcast’s current modus operandi, this may also be helpful to Doppleganger and other new listeners. Perhaps Gene will chip in if he feels he has anything further to add?
Meantime I’m going to take a further look the archived shows and will also keep an eye on future ones. I hope all goes well for you in future.

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
For some reason, I haven't been getting notifications.
I assume you mean notices about new posts. Be sure Watch is selected (below title of thread, at right). When you Watch a thread, you can choose whether to get email notifications. If you're not sure you did that, you can Unwatch and Watch again to make sure.

In the meantime, I'm having XenForo support look at this too.

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Kirk, try this for now: Click or tap Unwatch at the upper right below the thread title. Click or tap Watch, and select the option to send email notices. Let me know if that works for you.

XenForo is still checking into this anyway.

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Check your spam folder. Sometimes spam filters are flaky and flag good messages in addition to bad ones.

XenForo support couldn't find any problem in sending out notices.