• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

J. Allen Hynek — The Close Encounters Man: Ask Mark O'Connell

I'm looking forward to this episode. He was just on Open Minds with Alejandro a few days ago and as I listened I thought he'd be a great guest for Gene and Chris (or "insert Guest Host Name here"). I hope it went well Gene. Can't wait until Sunday.

After Hynek changed his view from debunker to that of accepting a UFO reality, did he ever meet or correspond with Donald Keyhoe? Or James McDonald?

Hynek said on a live radio broadcast that he thought UFOs come from a realm akin to that of God and angels. Did Hynek ever think that some UFOs were ET visitors travelling in metallic craft?

Was there a particularly strong case that convinced Hynek that there was more to UFOs than what could conventionally be explained?

After Hynek changed his view from debunker to that of accepting a UFO reality, did he ever meet or correspond with Donald Keyhoe? Or James McDonald?

I would be surprised if he hadn't at least corresponded with Keyhoe and McDonald. If the author of this biography of Hynek doesn't discuss these interactions in the Paracast interview I hope he will participate in discussions of that interview here and answer that question. As I recall, both Hynek and McDonald were present at the Congressional Hearing organized by Gerald Ford. Everyone should read McDonald's presentation. As I recall Hynek was there but did not address the subcommittee.

Hynek said on a live radio broadcast that he thought UFOs come from a realm akin to that of God and angels. Did Hynek ever think that some UFOs were ET visitors travelling in metallic craft?

I think the answer to your second questions is yes. Re the first question, I hope that the biographer develops the kinds of ideas Hynek entertained with Vallee late in their mutual discussions.

Was there a particularly strong case that convinced Hynek that there was more to UFOs than what could conventionally be explained?

My impression is that there were many strong cases that led Hynek to move from his skeptical position. It's likely that the biographer covers these developments.

Kimball and Bishop together again! Brothers from different mothers! In honor of Paul’s appearance I’m going to fire up one of my (our) all-time favorite bands, The Smiths, and listen to “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out,” ranked the 12th Greatest Song Of All Time by NME in 2014, while then listening to its sister song, “Bigmouth Strikes Again,” in honor of Greg, who I do not believe is much of a fan but I don’t have any Dr. Demento-related tracks in my iTunes library... Doh! But seriously Greg, I’ll listen to the Calexico/Iron & Wine EP to celebrate your possible inclusion in the week’s ATP. It sounds like it’s going to be a good one and I can’t wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back