• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Is There No Statute of Limitations?

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
So if Led Zeppelin stole the classic guitar licks for "Stairway to Heaven" from another rock band, Spirit, why'd it take so many years to file a complaint?

Possibly the family of a departed musician is desperate for cash?

Lawsuit looms over 'Stairway to Heaven' - Yahoo News

Since I read this piece, I heard an interview involving lawyers on CNN. They said that, since "Stairway to Heaven" is still in circulation, the statute of limitations doesn't apply, but that royalty payments could apply for the past three years to the family of the late Randy California from Spirit. It was further reported that the threshold for infringement is not the technical issue that involves melody and chords, but whether the average person would think the songs are the same. One magazine did a survey, playing the opening segment of the Spirit song to people chosen at random. Many believed it was "Stairway to Heaven."

One of the CNN legal analysts reminded us that Led Zeppelin has already settled four previous copyright claims on various songs because portions were evidently copied from the works of others.

I listened to the song 'Taurus' by Spirit. Yes, you can hear the chord progression at the beginning of the song is similar to Stairway. What I don't get is this, Randy California (real name Randy Craig Wolfe) died in 1997. He had ample time to sue Led Zeppelin if he wanted to. From the reports, California was waiting for Led Zep to be honest and pay up. Fat chance of that happening. It does sound like some greedy family members and old band mates are having their say now. Also, California got his moniker from Jimi Hendrix.

Back