• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Is Striebers new book worth a read?

tyder001

Paranormal Adept
I have been temped to download Whitley's "sequel" to Communion on my Kindle. Is it worth a read or should I wait to see if the price drops? I always hesitate to pay over $9 or $10 for a ebook and this one is a little over $12.

Which one are you refering to , transformation ? or the latest solving the communion enigma ?

Personally i'd read anything by him

Thanks. I'm gonna get it myself but might go ahead and get an actual physical copy. I love ebooks but I think some of them are overpriced. This one seems interesting.

I found something about that. It's a book plate isn't it? I read a lot on the Kindle these days. I find I can see it better since I passed the big 5-0 a few years back. :) I may go ahead and bite the bullet and buy it from the Kindle store.

I have just a few pages left of the book to read. Strieber seems to have come up with a unified paranormal hypothesis of a sort. His gullibility about crop circles really stands out to me of course. He spends a disproportionate amount of time defending their paranormal origins and denigrating Doug and Dave, who never claimed to make all the crop circles b.t.w. (sheesh). To me, this really shows an incredible bias on his part and a strong hint as to his abilities to objectively evaluate evidence or not.

I think he makes some interesting points elsewhere in the book and it is worth a read by anyone who read Communion or the books that followed it.

Sometimes I just kinda go with my gut and I realise it is not scientific in anyway but Strieber? I get a really strong feeling that the vast majority of what he says is made up. I don't know exactly how someone should sound or act if they have genuinely gone through what Strieber reports he has gone through but whatever it is that someone should be like, it's not what I get listening to Strieber. I can't really put my finger on it but I just don't buy it.

Thing is, even though I think most 'abductees' are attention-seekers or severely mistaken, it does make sense to me that ET's might be interested in us biologically somehow. I do believe in non-human piloted craft, what those pilots might be, who knows? But if I accept the strong possibility of those kinds of UFOs and occupants, then abductions aren't much of a stretch but no matter, I just don't find Strieber credible but I can't really back that thought up with facts.

Has Whitley Strieber ever undergone a polygraph? One in which he is asked outright about his abduction claims etc? I know in the UK, polygraphs are not admissible in court, but they are in some states in the US - am I right?
I don't know how reliable polygraphs are, in fact, I'd love to have a go at trying to fool one myself, just to see. I would imagine someone's attitude to even trying a polygraph may speak volumes about credibility - I am reminded of Travis Walton. It's the fact that none of his colleagues could be shown to be deceptive. So that does not mean that Walton was taken onboard an alien craft but it pretty much does prove that the guys thought that's what happened?

I think Strieber has done the polygraph and I know he has some evauations done on brain function according to him. Somebody more familar with it is welcome to correct me here. Cause I'm not sure.

I have been temped to download Whitley's "sequel" to Communion on my Kindle. Is it worth a read or should I wait to see if the price drops? I always hesitate to pay over $9 or $10 for a ebook and this one is a little over $12.
FIGHT THE URGE! Communion was nothing more than a revitalization of a fictional story Strieber tried to sell, unsuccessfully, a few years before. He has now tried to turn himself into a New Age Guru of sorts. My advice is not to feed the trolls. If he wants to accurately hang this in the "fiction" genre on the book then I say buy it. But as long as he insists on selling it as a non-fiction... run away! Of course, thats just my opinion.

Ive had some personal discussions with Whitley that leave me feeling he's sincere.
Milage will vary of course

Ive had some personal discussions with Whitley that leave me feeling he's sincere.
Milage will vary of course
Yes, He is a great salesman. I think he could possibly sell a catsup popsicle to a girl in white gloves. Again, only my opinion.

FIGHT THE URGE! Communion was nothing more than a revitalization of a fictional story Strieber tried to sell, unsuccessfully, a few years before. He has now tried to turn himself into a New Age Guru of sorts. My advice is not to feed the trolls. If he wants to accurately hang this in the "fiction" genre on the book then I say buy it. But as long as he insists on selling it as a non-fiction... run away! Of course, thats just my opinion.
For everyone's reference, you have a link to that somewhere?

My copy of Communion is in the fiction section of my library :D, it is a good read but I just never believed it.

That claim that he had written a manuscript (For a movie if I remember correctly) that was very similar to Communion but never sold is a claim I've heard at this board a few times. But when trying to google it I haven't found anything. So I'd be interested in a link as well.

On the surface Communion and Transformation seemed plausible enough to me, as far as contact tales go anyway. But he lost me with The Secret School. I was having a really hard time believing the memories described in that book... and the clarity with which they were presented. I didn't finish it and haven't read any of his encounter books beyond it.

I don't know what to think of Strieber; he's in my gray basket. If I were to stumble onto definitive proof tomorrow that he's a fraud I wouldn't be surprised. But if the direct opposite were to happen, confirmation that he's legit, or at least partially so (Maybe he's being as honest as he can but his mind is so scrambled that he's wrong about some of it. Or perhaps he is a genuine experiencer but is deliberately exaggerating things for whatever reason), that wouldn't totally shock me either. I suppose that if I were forced to put money on it I'd go with con man because it seems like the safer bet. But if he is a charlatan I think he's one of the more clever ones.

While I can't say I believe Strieber's stuff literally happened, I have a hard time thinking he is a deliberate charlatan. I guess he is still in my grey basket also.

Have any of you heard Whitley's recent interview on BOA? It seems as though he's gone guru. I would only have one question for him, and that is, how long after taking the five grams of mushrooms did you have your encounter? He may never have fully recovered, and has been in character ever since.

Back