• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Interesting: The Antikythera Mechanism

CapnG said:
Sure but is it worth it to write a post saying "That's interesting"?

No you're right it isn't.

I am just curious to see what people think the implications of this are. A machine that was built with an intricacy we didn't think human's could actually achieve at this time.

Then there is the fact that they think it is used for making observations of the sky. I wonder if it was used for navigation, or something else that we have no idea about. Its amazing to me how many old or ancient artifacts there are in our world that have something to do with the stars.

I was just looking for some discussion on it that's all ;)

meciar said:
no one finds this even slightly interesting? :(

I find it extremely interesting :), dont apologize for being enthusiastic about something you find interesting.

Its an important find because it pushes back our concept of how advanced the ancients were. Most people assume a linear time line of progression, when it seems there have been peaks and troughs in human knowledge.

Cheers

It is a fascinating item. Recent tests have shown it may be as much as 50 or 60 years older than its currently accepted date of 80 B.C. Nothing like it was created for at least another 1000 years. So it does represent evidence for 'lost knowledge' in a more convincing way than any other artefact I can think of. I have a chapter on the Antikythera Mechanism in my new book 'Hidden History'.

Back