• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

If you could pick just one book...

pixelkicker

Paranormal Novice
What book would you tell someone just getting into UFOlogy to read? I am pretty new to this. I've been a casual observer for a few years but feel like it's time to really dig in. What books do you think are the most valuable to the community? Thanks!

That is indeed a very hard question. I might add that it is also very subjective. One book I would suggest is "Clear Intent" by Fawcett and Greenwood. This book (about 25 years old) details military/intelligence contact with the phenomenon and will get the hair standing up on the back of your neck. Another book I would suggest (to show how deceptive the phenomenon is) is Vallee's "Passport to Magonia." This is another one to raise the hair on your neck. I am sure others will offer suggestions but if new, these are ones I would suggest you cut your teeth on.

Decker

"Passport to Magonia" would be my recommendation as well, as Don pointed out, the questions raised will keep you up at night.

UFOs: The Myth of Things Seen In The Sky --Carl Jung
Take your pick: Passport to Magonia + Dimensions + Messengers of Deception-- Jacques Vallee
Honorable Mention:
Operation Trojan Horse -- John Keel

J. Allen Hynek: "The UFO Experience: A Scientific Inquiry"
Companion book:
David R. Saunders: "UFOs? Yes! Where the Condon committee went wrong"

Plus, of course, all the above that other users mentioned :)

And after that you can build up further.

Many good suggestions here, but add this skeptical one to your reading list:
Watch The Skies! by Curtis Peebles it's a great history of the field, told from a skeptical point of view. Worth reading for many reasons, not the least of which is his coverage of the frauds and hoaxers.

Well Sentry, when Peebles came out with "Watch the Skies!" I read it with great curiosity. When I read the "paint-job" he tried to pull on the "Low memo" and excuse and BS the public about what it really meant I contacted Peebles to come on my radio show and discuss it. The gutless shit would not even speak to me, period. I knew then Peebles like so many of the skeptics were working on their own agenda and would not engage in open discussion. As far as I was concerned from that point forward Curtis Peebles was full of shit.

Decker

... Dimensions + Messengers of Deception-- Jacques Vallee

I would include Confrontations and Revelations in that list as well.

The Secret History of UFOs by Michael Hesemann is a good one.

Although somewhat controversial, I enjoyed the Ed Walter's UFO books, The Gulf Breeze Sightings and Ufo Abductions in Gulf Breeze.

• Jerome Clarke's UFO Encyclopedia
  • Timothy Good's Beyond Top Secret
  • All the classics by Keyhoe, Edwards, Ruppelt, Hynek, Vallee

• Jerome Clarke's UFO Encyclopedia
  • Timothy Good's Beyond Top Secret
  • All the classics by Keyhoe, Edwards, Ruppelt, Hynek, Vallee
My Mysterious Valley books including Secrets of the Mysterious Valley (2007) are worthy if you want to explore a region where six of the top 11 USA counties for UFO sightings are found--not to mention crypto-creatures, cattle mutes, weird occult stuff, secret military activity, etc., etc...

My Mysterious Valley books including Secrets of the Mysterious Valley (2007) are worthy if you want to explore a region where six of the top 11 USA counties for UFO sightings are found--not to mention crypto-creatures, cattle mutes, weird occult stuff, secret military activity, etc., etc...

In fact, Secrets of The Mysterious Valley is on the first page of my Paranormal Books Catalog over of the USI website. I plan on getting it along with the Disclosure Dialogues DVDs.

If you can afford it The 2 revised volumes of Jerome Clark's UFO Encyclopedia is brimming with stuff. Would set you back a couple hundred. Still burns me a little that a few months after I bought the 3 volumes of the 1st edition the 2nd edition came out.

If you tastes run to the more esoteric side, consider the rebirth of pan by jim brandon ( probably better off borrowing via worldcat like I did?) And patrick harpur's daimonic reality

Back