• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

How About Your 100 Favorite Films?

I didn't look at the list yet BUT i hope it contains at least some of these films...in no particular order...

Brazil
Little Big Man *********
The Mouse that Roared
The Man who would be King
The Commitments
Slumdog Millionaire
Larry of Arabia
Galipolli
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Usual Suspects
Pan's Labrynth...and Chronos....and the Devil's Backbone
Silverado
Local Hero *******

Generally speaking i find that most of my favorite movies and songs tend to have a fairly strong sense of place

Here is also a good list:

IMDb Top 250 - IMDb

I'm suffering an Ava Garder infatuation this week because last week I read her prurient autobiography. Last night I watched Mogambo (1953). Tonight I intend to watch The Killers (1946).

Her acting is atrocious, but her smokin' hotness makes up for it. :D

avanew.jpg

Robocop, Conan (the Barbarian), Idiocracy, The Green Berets, Attack on the Iron coast, In which we serve, the cruel sea, To hell and back, the Terminator, Phase iv, They live, Alien, Aliens, the Civil war (ken burns), Letters form Iwo Jima, Flags of our fathers, the outlaw josey wales, One eyed jacks, Winchester 73.
Are some of my favourites.

I'm a huge Saul Bass fan and love Phase IV - easily one of my favourite sci-fi movies, a great concept, haunting soundtrack and genius set designa & macrohotography. Have you seen the original ending? Would love a Blu-ray of this and a collection of Bass' shorter film works. He's such an excellent visual designer.

In a screening of the complete restored movies with Bass' original ending someone grabbed a screen cam of it so it's a little shaky.

Really enjoy the works of Wong Kar Wei Fallen Angels, Tarkovsky The Sacrifice, Herzog Aguirre, The Wrath of God, Kieslowski Double Life of Véronique, Cassavettes Faces, Godard Hail Mary, Welles The Trial, Hitchcock Marnie, Von Trier Breaking The Waves, Tran Anh Trung Cyclo, Resnais Hiroshima Mon Amour, Loncraine The Haunting of Julia, Wenders Wings of Desire, almost all of David Lynch's collection and Kubrick's & Frankenheimer's works. Anyone know that genius movie Seconds?

Movies I have a soft spot for: Soylent Green, Omega Man, Planet of the Apes, Rollerball, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Dawn of the Dead, The Changeling (70's), They Came From Within, The Haunting, Zardoz, the Wickerman, any movie with Peter Falk in it, all of Miyazaki's movies along with the rest of the Studio Ghibli works and Frank Capra's Arsenic and Old Lace.

I also have an enormous appetite for stop motion animation (Brothers Quay) and claymation (Will Vinton) and animation in general - long live Norman McLaren!

And how could I forget all the brilliant movies that were made and never made by Jodirowsky!

Last edited:
I'm a huge Saul Bass fan and love Phase IV - easily one of my favourite sci-fi movies, a great concept, haunting soundtrack and genius set designa & macrohotography. Have you seen the original ending? Would love a Blu-ray of this and a collection of Bass' shorter film works. He's such an excellent visual designer.

In a screening of the complete restored movies with Bass' original ending someone grabbed a screen cam of it so it's a little shaky.

Wow, this is why I love this forum, I had no idea about the alternate/original ending! it reminds me of the matrix. Thank you so much :)

Wow, this is why I love this forum, I had no idea about the alternate/original ending! it reminds me of the matrix. Thank you so much :)
Apparently Bass' original ending was considered too psychedelic and out there and so was relegated to a much more simplistic vision of the altering of the humans. This version suggests that the altering of the humans is something along the lines of our minds meeting with an alien mind - the ant colony!

I picked up this short movie by Bass "Quest" on 16mm (thank you ebay) years ago and is still one of my favourites to screen. His visuals are stunning:

Hollywood's top 100 films:
1-5
Godfather, Wiz of Oz and Pulp Fiction. Make my top 100. Never saw Shawshank. Citizen Kane? I have always considered it among the most BORING flicks I had ever seen! And, I saw it twice.
6-10
Casablanca and Godfather II are OK. ET and 2001 didn't raise my blood. Never seen Schindler's.
11-15
These are top 20? Only GWTW makes maybe my top 25.
16-20
Another batch of overrated movies.
21-25
Good picks except for Sound. Bunch of Swiss kids singing doesn't float my boat.
26-30
Blade Runner is OK. Cuckoo's Nest is top 10.
31-35
Fargo makes my top 50. Clockwork Orange my top 10-15. The others suck.
36-40
3 OKs and two I never saw...Fight Club and Harry Met Sally.
41-60
Top 100? I only watched about half of these and only Psycho, Butch and Sundance and Taxi Driver would I consider. Never watched Matrix.
61-100
Groundhog Day, Monty Python, Vertigo, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Braveheart, Dr Zhivago and Airplane also make my top 100 list. The rest I never saw (21) or wasn't enthralled by (11).

To me, 21st Century movies suck, but I haven't watched many. The only two I consider top 100 are Donnie Darko and Bubba Ho-Tep.

A lot of great pre-seventies flicks are not on this list that make mine. Algiers (1938), Slaughterhouse 5 (1969), Touch of Evil (1958), The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948), Cool Hand Luke (1967), Diabolique (1955) and my personal closet favorite Smashing Time (1967)

And how about a few votes for Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)!!

A little bit about this French classic: Diabolique
images.jpg

I rented this movie from Netflix. I was working graveyard shift, returned home, had a bite to eat and a stiff drink, laid down on the couch and popped this in the DVD player, hoping to quickly fall asleep. Its French and only had English captions.

Well it starts out odd, something about a fish monger selling spoiled fish and a rather mousey wife of an asshole head administrator at an all boys middle school. My eyes droop. Then things begin to happen. What did she say?, Kill the bastard?
We are going to do it right now, tonight! Holy crap! No wasting time! Hide the body. Jesus Christ, how do they get out of this predicament? What are they going to do now? WTF?? Where the hell did his body go? Cops are on the track!

Diabolique is considered by many critics as the most perfectly paced movie of all time. It keeps you on edge with never more than a couple of minutes passing before another WTF moment. I found myself wide awake sitting on the coach and completely mesmerized by this more than Hitchcockian like tale of mystery, mayhem, murder and plot twist. One of my Top 10 all time favorites.

Some favorites:
Night of the Hunter--the only film Charles Laughton directed.
Citizen Kane--Fully deserving of its reputation.
Vertigo--Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart at their finest.
The Birds--much scarier than Psycho.
Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, The Silence, Through a Glass Darkly,
etc., etc.--You can never have too much Bergman.
Rashomon, Throne of Blood, Ikiru, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, etc., etc.--Or Kurosawa.
Jules and Jim--Jeanne Moreau. 'Nuff said.
Wings of Desire--It would have been better without Peter Falk.
8 1/2--Fellini. I saw it twice the week it opened.
The Producers--The only really funny Mel Brooks movie
To Be or Not to Be--Jack Benny and Carole Lombard. Avoid the Mel Brooks remake.
Twentieth Century--John Barrymore and the aforementioned Carole Lombard. Havoc on a train.
The Palm Beach Story--Preston Sturges directs Rudy Vallee! More havoc on a train.
Hairspray--Not the musical. John Travolta can't hold a candle (or a girdle) to Divine.
Tunes of Glory--Heartbreaking performance by the late Alec Guiness.
The Entertainer--Same by the late Laurence Olivier.
Henry V--Olivier's no Branagh, thank goodness.
The Phantom of the Opera--Lon Chaney. What eloquence of gesture in the last scene!
Plan 9 from Outer Space--These are favorites, not bests. Nonstop hilarity.
Freaks--Fully deserves its reputation.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre--The original. Manages to be gut-wrenching without a lot of gore.
Anything with the Marx Brothers through At the Circus.
Anything with W. C. Fields period.
Anything with Sydney Greenstreet
Network--Timelier every day.
Ivan the Terrible parts 1 and 2--Eisenstein at his most perverse. Take that, Iosif Vissarionovitch!

I've got a lot more, but I'll take a rest. Unfortunately, with five kids, most of what I've managed to see over the last twenty years are children's films. Love Studio Ghibli, though.

I like most of what you say there about good movies @bonaventura especially regarding Divine and Network. Falk not being in Wings of Desire made me pause for a second. I think Falk is an absolute genius actor as seen in Casavettes' works and in Mikey and Nicky (that's a gut wrenching movie). But in these other movies Falk is not Columbo and that pop culture reference in the Wenders' movie along with the other voices like Nick Cave, the angel and the author makes for a focussed time and place being named. He certainly didn't use Falk to his full potential at all. Without him though that East meets West American Detective Film Noir feel to Berlin would not be there.
Wings+of+Desire.mkv_snapshot_01.28.55_%5B2011.11.16_22.17.18%5D.jpg

I list my favorite films by director. I must start w/ my favorite. So, most of Kubrick's films: including, Dr Stangelove, 2001, Clockwork Orange (probably my fav film); Many of Speilberg's films, including, Jaws, Close Encounters, Saving Pvt Ryan, Raiders OTLA. Some of Kirosawa's, 7th Samurai, Ran; Orson Wells' Citizen Kane (possibly the most influential and important film of all-time IMO) & The Stranger; FF Coppella's Godfather 1 and 2, & Apocalypse Now; Werner Herzog's Aguirre the Wrath of God & Fitzcaraldo; F. Truffaut, Jules & Jim & Fahrenheit 451; David Lynch's Eraserhead (easily my fav student film); JL Godard, Breathless; Jean Cocteau, Beauty and the Beast; Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down.... etc... That's just off the top of my head—I could go on & on & on...

Back