• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

House in Oshawa, Ontario

Anubis

First Minister of Uncommon Sense
Hello,

I used to be a regular poster here and have since decided to return. I posted a few experiences I have had, but this post involves the house my GF and I purchased in Decemmber of last year. I have reposted it from the Psican Message Board.

My GF, her son and I moved into a home in Oshawa, Ontario in December 2010. Since then, we have experienced a number of strange things occuring in the house. Initially, nothing occured for about a month or so. However, my GF's cat didn't adjust well to the move, and would caterwaul relentlessly at our bedroom door all night. To remedy this, we began to put the cat in the basement for the night so he would not wake us up. Sometime in January, I was locking the front door while leaving for work in the AM, when I saw the cat walk out of the kitchen through the window in the front door. I couldn't remember opening the basement door to let him out, and kind of passed it off.

The next day, I was making coffee while my GF got ready for work when the basement doorknob turned and the basement door opened on it's own, letting the cat out. This was bizarre as I both heard the knob turn and saw the door open and there was nobody in the basement. The house was eco-audited prior to us purchasing it, so there are no drafts to blow the door open. I really have no logical explanation how the door opened on its own and kind of laughed it off.

Around March, we adopted a dog and things started ramping up somewhat. The dog would sometimes bark down the hallway when nobody else was home, and wagged its tail liek it saw somebody it knew. I was home alone with the dog one night watching TV when the dog went into the kitchen. After a few minutes, I distinctly heard a young man talking quietly to the dog, and wondered when my GFs son came home. I walked into the kitchen and found the dog alone. Disturbed, I brought the dog into the living room with me, and about 15 minutes later my GFs son arrived home from work. A couple weeks later, my GF heard what she thought was a young man talking to the dog in the hallway when niether myself nor her son was home.

One night I woke up and thought I heard furniture being moved around the basement. Thinking my GFs son had friends over, I listened but heard no talking or laughing. I got up went to the basement door and called down. Nobody answered. The dog who was crated in the kitchen wanted out, so I took him out on a leash and brought him back in. I put him back in his crate and went to the bedroom, where I found my GF awake and looking for me. She said she awoke with a "bad vibe" and thought there was someone in the house. I took a machete I keep in the closet, went back to the kitchen and took the dog down to the basement with me, but found nothing amiss. I searched the entire house and could find no evidence of an intruder, so we went back to the bedroom. Suddenly there was a very large "THUMP!" above our heads in the attic. The "attic" is more or less a crawlspace filled with insulation with one trapdoor to get into it. There is no way anyone could have climbed up there as the trap is in the ceiling right outside the bedroom door. I tried to convince my GF it was a mouse and we tried to go back to sleep.

Around this time, we started hearing phantom footsteps at both day and night. One afternoon, I was taking the dog to the office to do some work on the computer when I distinctly heard someone coming down the hall after me. Both my GF and her son have also experienced the sounds of footsteps, often thinking the other is home when they are not.

One Saturday morning, my GF and I were sitting on the couch drinking coffee, when we heard the basement door open and the cat came out of the kitchen. Her son was asleep and neither of us had an explanation for the door opening.

We started refinishing the basement this spring and noticed a lot more activity since we have begun. One night my GF and I were watching a movie when we heard distict knocking on the wall inside the house. My GF thought it was the dog scratching itself until I pointed out the dog was on the other side of the room. We both attempted to replicate the knocking by rapping outside the window, but neither of us could hear it inside. We also hear strange banging in the basement that defies any explanation. Nothing looks out of place when we investigate it.

My GF's son has a metal clothes rack hanging on the back of his door. Often when he isn't home, we will hear the clothes rack banging on the door. If we open his door to investigate, there is never anything out of place in his room. However, the noise will often start up again after we leave.

Last week we had three weird instances that stood out. The first was when I was working last Saturday and my GF was alone at home. She sent me an email that said she came down the hall to find both the bathroom and her son's bedroom doors open when she was sure she closed them. She came back an hour later and they were open again.

Later in the week, my GF awoke one night to use the washroom. When she returned to the bedroom, I awoke and found I needed to use the washroom as well. When I went into the bathroom, I found the toilet seat was up and jokingly asked her if she left it up for me. She said she definitely left it down and had been in there only a minute or so before me.

On Friday, I was home alone and walked past the basement door, when the knob again turned on its own and the door opened. I was directly in front of it when this happened and cannot explain how it was possible. Perhaps it was a hint to finish the work we started down there...?

Anyways, that is what we have experienced for the past six months. None of us have felt particularly creeped out by any of it (with the exception of the "intruder" night) and feel the phenomena is very benign. We aren't scared in any way, and kind of find it interesting that we may be sharing our house with a ghost.

Thanks for reading and please share any thoughts you may have about any of this.

Back