• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Here we go again. . .

Check this shit out. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34940931/from/ET?pg=1#Tech_UFOBuzz&GT1=43001 . Oberg's a 'yes man,' if ever there's been one. The guy sickens me, although, it is interesting to note that after Kenneth Arnold's sighting, U.F.O.'s changed, for the most part, from cresent-shaped to disk-shaped craft, almost as in response to the mistaken media description. I'm certain that it means something. I just can't decide what.

While I think there's more to it, it's hard to escape the conclusion that in at least a proportion of cases people having misunderstood Arnold's "saucer" analogy (or hearing news reports that used the term out of context) simply saw what they expected to see.

It's also possible that we're dealing sometimes with a phenomenon that deliberately conforms to our expectations of how it should appear (consistent with the air ship sightings in the 19th century), but I can't help thinking that's stretching to find an exotic explanation for something that is often a sociological phenomenon.

This doesn't mean I think UFOs are all products of mass hysteria or misidentified mundane objects, nor that I don't think people have actually observed disk-shaped objects - but it does mean there are very good grounds for assuming a high noise to signal ratio.

Back