• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Genetic memory being accessed by dreams?

kukulcan

Paranormal Novice
I am a new member and am curious to see if anyone out there has any ideas on my paranormal experience. It would be even better if someone has had something similar happen to them and would like to share! So here I go...

I had a dream this summer that seemed like a memory more than a dream, but I recognized the location of this event to be my grandparents house that they lived in when I was a small boy. I recognized everyone as family, but they were much younger than I ever remember, and my aunts and uncles were all children. I was able to recognize the decor of the home to be late seventies, as well as the clothing. I was born in 1983 mind you and I definately don't remember the house being decorated this way, as my grandmother is always changing the decor to match the times. The most interesting aspect of this "dream-memory" is that there was an older couple who for some reason I recognized in the event as my grandparents, but of course they were not mine in a real sense, but in the dream I knew them as my grandparents. I had conversation with them and grandpa was a jokester while grandma was quiet and kept to herself. I noticed that she was knitting something as well. After looking at some older family photos, While doing some family genealogy, I instantly recognized this older couple as my father's grandparents from his mothers side. This disturbed me greatly and I kept it to myself for a few months before spilling my guts to my dad.
My father was shocked when I told him this event in great detail because he remembers the same event as the last time he saw his grandparents alive. Grandpa died first then grandma a few months later. Dad was amazed that I recalled the conversation to him in great detail, and the emotions of the room. I could even recall to him smells and what was cooking on the stove. We both agreed that it appeared that we somehow shared the same memory, even though my father never mentioned it at all.

I know this seems far fetched and this has only happened once to me. Even if this is my imagination, it has done some good as I have been involved with our family genealogy ever since! I would love to find a professional to help me discover if my other dreams are from past lives, or some sort of genetic memory going up my family tree. Well I hope this give you something to discuss and I would love to hear what others think.

I am sure you have heard of the term Akashic records if not here is a small article about that topic. http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/a/akashic_records.htm

My personal thoughts about events being recorded in some form is that it is probably true. Having genetic memory in no stranger than having cellular memory from an organ donor.

The problem with these concepts is that some of the new ager's believe everything that pops into their heads as a possible past life or genuine information. These "memories" need to be checked out or coroborated like you are doing and I hope you find some interesting and valid information.

Thanks for your input Ally! I had not heard of the Akashic Records before, probably since I am not very religious. The reason I think this may be a genetic memory is because it seems more scientific to me and not so different than animal instinct that is passed on to following generations. You are correct in stating that things like this need to be corroborated. I didn't think it more than a weird dream until my father said that he had the same memory.

Judging by my profile pic ur gonna think I'm a retard or someone who's never serious but I think u somehow unlocked ur genetic memory through ur dream
Genetic memory is memory inside ur DNA passed down by ur relatives even long distant ancestors
It is currently impossible but if what u said is true then u accessed ur dads memory he passed on to u through his DNA when he made u.
#mindblown

Judging by my profile pic ur gonna think I'm a retard or someone who's never serious but I think u somehow unlocked ur genetic memory through ur dream
Genetic memory is memory inside ur DNA passed down by ur relatives even long distant ancestors
It is currently impossible but if what u said is true then u accessed ur dads memory he passed on to u through his DNA when he made u.
#mindblown
Not more of those damned Jungians :mad: ! ( just razzin' ). You actually pose an intriguing possibility, and welcome to the forum :) !

I've been searching for information on these kinds of dreams for a long time now. I started having them a few years back. I'm always someone else in them. I've dreamed of Ancient Egypt, being in the winding tombs beneath the great pyramids, getting a body ready for mummification. I've dreamed of being a Roman Soldier, walking the streets of Ancient Rome. I've dreamed of being English royalty and Irish poverty. Recently, I was conflicted as to what these dreams could mean. At first, I thought that they may be visions of past lives... Which freaked me out, because I did not believe in past lives. I told them to my mother, and she said, "This is going to sound strange... BUT I'VE HAD ALL OF THOSE EXACT DREAMS." I feel like, somehow, my family is able to delve into our own genetic memory through dreams. It's really cool to find other people that have had similar experiences!! :D

I've been searching for information on these kinds of dreams for a long time now. I started having them a few years back. I'm always someone else in them. I've dreamed of Ancient Egypt, being in the winding tombs beneath the great pyramids, getting a body ready for mummification. I've dreamed of being a Roman Soldier, walking the streets of Ancient Rome. I've dreamed of being English royalty and Irish poverty. Recently, I was conflicted as to what these dreams could mean. At first, I thought that they may be visions of past lives... Which freaked me out, because I did not believe in past lives. I told them to my mother, and she said, "This is going to sound strange... BUT I'VE HAD ALL OF THOSE EXACT DREAMS." I feel like, somehow, my family is able to delve into our own genetic memory through dreams. It's really cool to find other people that have had similar experiences!! :D
If you both are sharing dream experiences can I suggest a couple of things: Consider creating separate dream journals where you might both write out favourite dreams and their details, while also recording new dreams as they occur without sharing those. Checking in with each other every few months to read each other's journal might produce some interesting findings. As a secondary piece, taking time to deconstruct your dreams to try to identify what, if any, conscious sources or past possible connections could have possibly sparked these dreams would be of value to you both. Just to have such dreams of such wide depth of geographical locations & time periods is quite fascinating. I would want to know about things like your reading and movie viewing habits, past travel experiences and family history & ethnic background. Are there any sources here for any if your dreams?

#mindblown

Nice theory, but it doesn't explain the observations made with children who seem to have memories of a "past life".

When the past life can be verified, it's rarely that of an ancestor (although that occurs, too), but often enough that of someone altogether unrelated to the family, as far as that can be determined.

Secondly, the single most reported memory is that of how the "past life" ended (mostly under traumatic circumstances, which seems to be required for it to "carry over"). How would a "death memory" end up in the DNA which the person in question had passed on decades ago to their child?

Sounds like Assasins Creed.

That's what I thought. Nice game franchise, but the theories and "science" presented is nothing but speculative entertainment.

While there definitely seems to be a whole lot of "junk" or "unused" DNA (that is, DNA the scientists have no idea what it's there for) in our genome, I still would think that it's not anywhere enough "storage space" to store things as complex as visuals, sounds, smells and the related emotions etc. Even if DNA storage was just used for a few very important memories (which the dreams above don't seem to have been), the amount of data would be immense.

And lastly, there is the question of "for what purpose". I can see the evolutionary benefit of passing on memories of acquired skills and survival strategies, but just any old memories? Why use up precious storage space for memories that don't give you any evolutionary advantage?

Just my opinion, of course, and not meant as an offense. I'm glad that there are people willing to look at unconventional theories and not just dismissing them unresearched.

Last edited:
I am sure you have heard of the term Akashic records if not here is a small article about that topic. Akashic Records

My personal thoughts about events being recorded in some form is that it is probably true. Having genetic memory in no stranger than having cellular memory from an organ donor. . . .

I agree, and yet, as Polterwurst points out, genetic memory does not seem capable of accounting for children's memories of past lives in families unconnected to the family they are (re)born into. So DNA is perhaps just one form in which memory of past lives is stored and re-expressed in dreams, hypnotic regression, and certain kinds of psi. The apparently cellular memory you refer to that is expressed by changes in attitudes and aptitudes in organ transplant recipients indicates another form or path in and by which memories and feelings not one's own are carried forward and expressed in the body as well as in the mind. And then there is the complement of evidence for mind to mind communication between and among people having no organic/biological connection in the present. And beyond that the evidence of precognition of events taking place in the future, which seems to be information coming into the individual mind from no known source whatsoever.

That which cannot be explained in physical terms such as DNA or cellular memory must have another explanation, a mental or spiritual one that preserves from the past and transmits in the present experiences stored in some holographic interconnection, referred to by ancient mystics as the Akashic records. These 'records' seem to be alive and transmissible through the agency of minds not our own, generally through the subconscious mind accessible in dreams, hypnotic regression, and other altered states, but then rising into waking consciousness to the extent that we experience them in our present lives and can talk about them.

The experience reported by @kukulcan in the opening post suggests a communication perhaps partly involving genetic memory, perhaps also involving telepathic communication in a dream state from his father to himself, and also potentially involving an intention by his grandfather or his great-grandfather to communicate with both of them his own still living memory of events in the family's life. I think this dream experienced by both kukulcan and his father presents evidence of the survival of consciousness and personhood, the continuing integration of ourselves with our forebears and others with whom we share our lives, here and elsewhere after the death of the biographically lived body.

Many thanks to kukulcan for sharing this richly detailed dream remarkably experienced in common with his father.

Last edited:
Back