• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Formatting Tips & Tricks

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
This thread is for tips on formatting your posts. Contribute your favorite bullets, animations, and other images or methods for customizing posts, or ask a question on how to do something!

List Bullet Images ( Indent your text, then copy and paste into your list ):
linksListBullet.png
arrowbright.gif
arrow_icon.jpg

Last edited:
That's fantastic! But how exactly do we categorize it? What exactly is being expressed here?

well interest in the thread expressed by a nice .gif

For those who do not know a .gif is an animated image and they are easy to find on google if you want to find them.

so get an idea of what you want to express as an image and google it.. for example "Epic Fail" .. so google that word but like this "Epic Fail .gif" and hey presto you have all the ones you like.

epic fail gif - Google Search

Then copy the URL of the .gif you like into the post image bar we have on the forum ... as simple as that.

1b1318ebbb1ad7f7a160635118b37ba9eea69eae_m.gif

as simple as that. .. and everyone meet "Epic Fail Guy"

I have a large folder full of .gif so I should have one for every occasion.

Now as for ACII images they can be done in the same way but it can depend on the forum if you try to post them into the text directly..

░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█
░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█
░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀

This one works.. but they can also be found the same way as the .gif .. even animated ones.

046_walking_man_ascii.gif

Last edited:
life.gif

I like this one, however, there is another that I cannot seem to locate access to at this time. I would enjoy sharing it here much and will if I can find it. It's more animated with a darker feel to it. However, no less in scale accuracy throughout the metamorphology process than what this video demonstrates, which is still pretty impressive. Honestly, I LOVE that "Epic Fail" one. That movie with the guy in the mask is a personal favorite.

If, as is the belief in many African creation myths, our means of making music, namely the instruments themselves, predated the existence of the human beings that were literally created to play the instruments themselves to begin with. That my friends, much like these cool graphic gif files, is a perfect circle. So I ask you minus any religious conviction whatsoever, is God a cosmic looper?

3257460.jpg

Do we know in the realms of scientific observation wherein precisely we may actually deviate apart from cyclic process?

According to the aforementioned creation myth, life's program would seem to be such that it's execution would reflect the initialization of an intelligently designed cognitive recognition system that responds to frequency specific awareness information, perpetually motivated instinctively, curiously enough, by the natural force of programmed "external intent" rather than by that of natural selection, or even our own willful choosing. Progressive appreciation motivated by the many rituals that reflect our sentient initialization in realms that we potentially identify specific visual/auditory frequency spectrum's of what is our specific perceptible/communicable light/sound information assembled and labeled reality. An endless series of experiential consciousness I/O loops relative to baseline cognitive decipherable informational process.

We would need more than 4 tracks to pull this off however Certainly more than two stereo pair.;)

Recently the Paracast has introduced a time limit on posts after which time the author will no longer be able to retract or edit their work without first getting moderator approval. Personally, I think this is an erosion of the freedom that forum participants have enjoyed, and IMO there is no rationalization to justify it that exceeds the editorial rights that individual authors should have over their content.

I can almost hear the usual hogwash excuse about how a few people have used the feature too much and ruined it for everyone else, but that logic makes no sense. A freedom isn't a freedom when there is a threat to take it away. I've found the feature very useful not only for deleting and moving content, but also for fixing bad formatting, broken links, spelling, grammar, and other things that I missed at the time.

Yes I've also used it as a tool to protest what is going on in a thread, but so what? That was part of the beauty. Sometimes a participant doesn't realize exactly what they've gotten themselves into until well after the fact, and they should have an unrestricted right to back out and remove their content.

What's the upshot for me? I still like the Paracast, and I'll still recommend the forum because it's still a cut above most, but my focus moving forward will be back on the USI website where I can post with no restrictions.

Most forums I know about have severe restrictions about being able to change your content, and when they do allow it, it's only for a short period of time, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. More to the point, once something is posted, and a user is given enough time to correct it, we'd like to feel that it's there for good. But one poster many of you know, and I won't name him, recently spent his own time deleting hundreds of his own messages, which means that references to those messages plus follow-ups now seem out of place. That's unreasonable.

In saying that, if anyone wants to delete or change a message after the time limit is up, no problem. Just let us know which messages and why. If it doesn't upset an entire thread, and there's a valid reason to remove the message, we'll do it. We just need to deal with those who abuse the privileges. So if there are messages you need to edit or remove, tell me, OK?

So far you are the only one I know who has complained about this.

Most forums I know about have severe restrictions about being able to change your content, and when they do allow it, it's only for a short period of time, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. More to the point, once something is posted, and a user is given enough time to correct it, we'd like to feel that it's there for good. But one poster many of you know, and I won't name him, recently spent his own time deleting hundreds of his own messages, which means that references to those messages plus follow-ups now seem out of place. That's unreasonable.

In saying that, if anyone wants to delete or change a message after the time limit is up, no problem. Just let us know which messages and why. If it doesn't upset an entire thread, and there's a valid reason to remove the message, we'll do it. We just need to deal with those who abuse the privileges. So if there are messages you need to edit or remove, tell me, OK?

So far you are the only one I know who has complained about this.

It may be your opinion that it's unreasonable to give author's the right to retract their content at any time, but I don't share that opinion. Certainly we should want participants to contribute in ways that will make them feel good about what they post, but the reality is that things change, especially on a forum. Over time, one's content can become unintentionally associated with undesirable content by other participants. Personal affiliations can also change dramatically over time in ways that may make outdated posts embarrassing or even compromising to one's present circumstances. And just because some other participant retracted a bunch of his or her content shouldn't mean that the rest of us should lose our freedom.

On the flipside. I'll grant that your position isn't entirely without merit. You also have a readership to consider, and I empathize with them on that level. If I were among them as opposed to being a regular contributor, I might even agree with your new policy. But as a writer, I'm not nearly as comfortable posting here knowing that after two hours my freedom to retract is going to be severely limited.

You still have the freedom to retract. You merely have to tell us and we'll do it for you. And, by the way, you are one of the few people to complain about the new policy. Just FYI.

You still have the freedom to retract. You merely have to tell us and we'll do it for you. And, by the way, you are one of the few people to complain about the new policy. Just FYI.
What does the number of people who complain have to with any of the issues I mentioned ( besides nothing )? And freedom isn't freedom if it requires the approval of somebody else before you can have it. But I've said my bit on it. You're the publisher. It's your rules. Have it your way. Like I said, it's not entirely without merit.

Back