• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

February 12, 2017 — Micah Hanks

I'm enjoying this episode. Didn't know Dr Tombaugh was associated with Kehoe, so that is interesting. His daughter was my 3rd grade teacher and she pronounced it Tombah as in baaaaah sheep. FYI. Also it is LA*S* Cruces. Proud of my hometown and want it to be known what it is called :) I know you like to know what is factual so hope this is taken in that spirit of interest in facts. Thanks!

The history is involved.

So we have this story where Tombaugh claims Keyhoe got his facts wrong about him:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.500.173&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Swords does good work. However this statement is a bit misleading: "It is not true. Dr. J. Allen Hynek traveled the country while working for the United States Air Force UFO Project, and interviewed several astronomers who had seen UFOs." Hynek did mention the Sturrock survey of astronomers during at least one interview, and he seemed to have been well-aware that some astronomers have seen UFOs. I'm also not entirely certain that Hynek didn't do any travelling during his time with the USAF where he interviewed other astronomers either. I've run across transcripts of talks he gave where he may well have crossed paths with other astronomers or at least had some informal discussions about UFOs with them, and we know he worked in association with Vallée who is another astronomer for a period of time. Maybe that was technically after his official capacity with the USAF, but really, how relevant is that to the point?

A Classic Interview With Hynek & Gersten

Good show. I wish I'd been in on this one! Glad Chris is feeling much better too, and that the SLV camera project is nearly set to go.

I also liked the show for its lack of analysis into the state of ufology, the lack of complaining about the quality of past cases and the lack of doom and gloom about finding explanations in the future. This weeks show is what I tune in for... bottle this week please and use it as a base for future episodes :)

Must say that the reason I initially began listening to paracast was its more skeptical view of paranormal phenomena and its analysis of UFOlogy as an industry.

Back