• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Family cat saves boy from dog's attack

Hey! That's my human! Git the '*?= outta here! :D

Man, that should teach anyone allowing their dog to run around unattended. Luckily, it was so surprised by the cat attack it let go at once.

Last edited:
Sorry if I suspect that it was staged, but we see two separate angles, one of the dog going around the vehicle from the other side, and then the one from inside the house, and I don't see anyone dropping their video camera to go help the child. Excuse me, but there's a dog eating your child. OMG release the cat and let me make sure I get it all on video ! Then make sure it gets on YouTube.

Well, I don't think the karate cat's CGI though.:D The mother does come after the cat strikes, I think she said she was watering the flowers or something.

Btw., my parents told me that something similar happened to me as a toddler. I was playing with a neighbour's kid, when an argument broke out which obviously turned physical (I actually don't remember anything but we probably were hardly able to speak so arguments were likely to be settled by physical force), when the cat I had been brought up with, normally a peaceful fellow, jumped at him with his claws out. There doesn't seem to have been serious damage, just a lot of screaming and crying, and the cat didn't have to be put down as will probably happen to the dog (IMO they should just tell the owner not to let it run around, maybe fine him, cats and dogs are still animals, not people and as such unpredictable). Not that people are always predictable, though.

Last edited:
Sorry if I suspect that it was staged, but we see two separate angles, one of the dog going around the vehicle from the other side, and then the one from inside the house, and I don't see anyone dropping their video camera to go help the child. Excuse me, but there's a dog eating your child. OMG release the cat and let me make sure I get it all on video ! Then make sure it gets on YouTube.

It does look a little too neat I'll grant you but I just chocked it up to being edited to make it more you tube ready. I don't think any parent would consciously allow their kid to be dragged around like that especially on pavement near a street.

Last edited:
I believe we are looking at the video footage from two security cameras - at two different angles.

Cats can be scary. It's not for nothing that big bruisers of dogs are very wary around the resident cat.

But by far the best 'watch dogs' - or 'watch animals' - are a pair of geese. Those critters can keep anything at bay - completely fearless and deadly if they get you.

Yeah, they said something about security cameras. I thought I had heard that wrong, because the there seems to be camera movement. Maybe they enlarged a portion for TV and that's what's moving.

It does look a little too neat I'll grant you but I just chocked it up to being edited to make it more you tube ready. I don't think any parent would consciously allow their kid to be dragged around like that especially on pavement near a street.
The whole thing including the interviews and follow-up could also be staged.

In one of the news reports - a newspaper article - there was a picture of the wound on the boy's leg (I think it was his leg) and it was pretty nasty.

:eek: OMG They are using cat videos on Youtube to distract our attention from the alien take-over! No wait, not aliens - they are the super-intelligent mega-advanced ultraterrestrial race everybody was looking for when all the while they were right in front of us, trying to make us trip by running between our legs! They probably have been at it for millenia. And now they want to convince uns they are our FRIENDS and PROTECTORS! :D

Wait... why are we discussing this again? :confused:

Last edited:
I don't believe for one second that the footage was faked, here are the reasons why in no particular order:

Cats are not renowned for their obedience: that is to say in my opinion it would be almost an impossibility to train a cat to perform the actions demonstrated in the film on demand, add to this that there are three other parties or actors (as in the child on the bicycle, the dog that attacks him and also the boys mother.)
What I am trying to get at is that it would be of the utmost difficulty to recreate, let alone get everything to go to plan in one take. N.B there is an old thespian saying that goes something like "Never work with children or animals" (because they are unpredictable).

I have concluded that the footage was taken on a "state of the art" home CCTV security system, that included multiple high quality, motion tracking cameras.

I also recall that during the interview the boys mother stated that they had owned the cat since before the child was born, this would suggest to me that the cat feels a family bond with the child, more specifically a maternal bond, which can compel actions (especially in mammals) that are seen by humans as "heroic" but are actually an essential part of their survival mechanism.

I a nutshell it is my firm belief that the actions in the footage are too spontaneous to have been staged, unless it was CGI and IF it was, then it is a masterpiece of unrivaled quality because every element seems so accurate. For example the way the dog detects the noise of the child cycling from behind the car (long before they boy realises anything is wrong) and goes into a predatory stance, when it rounds the car it attacks the boy from behind and on the back of his moving leg in a way similar to a wolf attacking a larger animal.
When the cat realises that its family member is in peril it reacts instinctively and attacks with the sole aim of driving off the dog, that is to say that it does not engage the dog in direct combat rather it distracts and confuses the dog into retreat and the follows up by charging towards it, when the dog is at a safe distance the cat returns to inspect the damage inflicted to its family member.
If this was a story about a dog saving a child from another dog attacking it, I don't think the same level of doubt as to its authenticity would be present due to the fact that the common perception is that dogs are "mans best friend" and can act out of loyalty etc.

It is also important to note that the child was very fortunate that the dog was a small one, because had it been a larger one the attack could have been fatal.

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe it just came down to multiple cameras with motion dectectors that would jump to where ever the action Is. But the dog's actions surprised me because I thought when (most) dogs attack they just kind of lay into you, this one looked like he was attempting to drag the boy away, it seemed less an dominating territorial thing less than like he was trying to take the boy with him. When I was young we had a dog...a shepard mix....who would eat at his bowl, when my sister brought home a Pomeranian both dogs would take their food, (especially bones) and find a spot away from each other to their respective dens(?) and then proceed to eat. That's the first thing that occured to me when I saw this video, which is pretty unnerving, as an aside both the vids I posted seemed to have been removed by the tv station. Also I recall seeing the comments on the attack video and a couple people commented on the foolishness of breeding a chow with a lab. I didn't quite understand that statement because while I know chows can be aggresive, labs on the other hand are pretty good natured and that part of the animal would take the edge off the chow part but in retrospect it looked like the chow part attacked and the retriever part tried to retrieve if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I don't think the dog was trying to drag him away, I think it was trying to get him to the floor so it could attack his throat, like a wolf would.

regarding Labrador attacks on humans*:

(Breed)
(Attacks doing bodily harm)(Child victims)(Adult victims)(Deaths)(Maimings)(%of total)

Labrador. 45 32 11 3 34 .007 #
Labrador mix. 14 11 3 1 12 .004 #
Chow 54 36 15 7 36 .007#

sorry if the table is not clear it looks ok when I edit it but not once posted.... the table in the link is much clearer.

*((source)) http://images.bimedia.net/documents/Dog attack stats with breed 2012.pdf

Last edited:
Back