• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

"Dyatlov Pass Indicent"

Steve-C.

Paranormal Maven
the "Dyatlov Pass Incident" has now been made into a movie. this mystery would make a great show on the paracast.
Now the riddle has been revisited in a new book by British writer and researcher Keith McCloskey. It is also the subject of a gripping new film — released this weekend — by Hollywood director Renny Harlin, a veteran of mystery, thriller and horror movies.

here are two links, the first one is a newspaper article and the other is the movie trailer:
Dyatlov Pass Indicent: what slaughtered nine hikers on Siberia's Death Mountain in 1959? | Mail Online

No interest in the film but the incident is certainly fascinating. I am inclined to favor noises or trembling that suggested an avalanche was imminent. Racing away they found it hard to return, disorienting. They built a fire - so they had that much. I think there are forensic elements missing from the story that - if we had them - would explain a lot. Injuries suggest crushing to me, and also animal foraging, perhaps. Anyway, it all has an explanation and would love to solve the mystery.

I was about to ask if Gene and Chris had looked into this being they do such an amazing job on separating the truth from conspiracy theories. The thing I find interesting is the traces of radioactivity found on the deceased's clothing and one of the funeral attendees claiming their skin had a burnt tan appearance to it. Taking away those two items and it sounds like a garden variety avalanche that disoriented them, death via exposure and/or fall, and forest animals descending afterward. Lots of eyewitness claims of strange lights in the area as well makes it sound like something that has a fair amount of intrigue to delve into by our hosts.

Tried to include a few article links regarding the incident but apparently I'm too much of a newbie for the Forum to allow it :)

The totality of the evidence that is apparently not in dispute just doesn't add up, hence it's still a mystery. Quite a few explanations work, providing you ignore the part of the evidence that doesn't fit the theory. This is the favorite method of the debunker, but it doesn't get us any closer to the truth. Just lets the debunkers and others like them sleep better at night.

The story of Dylatov Pass is so rich and dynamic in texture and surreal elements. My favourite part is their newspaper collage that they prepared prior to their death - such a happy, hardy group of young, über athletic explorers who come to a terrifying end. Listening and readng up on this story is my favourite paranormal addiction, or at least it's right up there with the Siberian Alien Cauldron Planetary Meteor Defense Grid (SACPMDG for short, which translates into, "You're welcome" in Venusian) that rises up out of the marsh to complete a 'Tunguska' for all us earthlings whenever we need it.

tunguska55-420x257.jpg

I heard McCloskey interviewed on MU - it was excellent. He would make an exceptional guest on the Paracast as his personal experiences in researching this story by repeating their journey makes for riveting radio, and all based in mostly reality. He has his own take on what happened, and has thoroughly tried to explore all the avenues. Would love to hear him on the show!

The movie was mostly a waste of time. It started out fairly interesting and had a chance to end on a good note but took a left turn into the bizarre. Then again, those with more open minds than mine on the forum may have found it as intriguing as I did the potential science of Insidious.

The movie was mostly a waste of time. It started out fairly interesting and had a chance to end on a good note but took a left turn into the bizarre. Then again, those with more open minds than mine on the forum may have found it as intriguing as I did the potential science of Insidious.
i hadn't even looked at the trailer. but seeing it today tells me that it opted for fiction as opposed to anything realistic. did McCloskey really end his book with this? from the interview on MU there was no answer provided but the suggestion seemed to be that the answer was more mundane i.e. avalanche than what we see in the trailer - secret experimental human alien hybrid program? or was that people and wolves being cross bred?

If I may intervene for a few......I read McClokeys' book "Mountain of the Dead" cover to cover. I like the way he offers up the facts and doesn't try to sway a readers opinion. Donnie Eichar also wrote a book on the incident at about the same time McCloskey was writing his. Both men traveled to Russia to investigate and interview witnesses and the only survivor of the incident, Yuri Yudin. I did not read Eichars' book on the incident. Although I'm told that he traveled there and walked the same path that the Dyatlov Group took to their deaths. Eichar claims to have most of his facts backed by NOAA facts, and gives his hypothesis as to what happened. He believes that it was a sound produced by a storng wind that caused fear and paranoia within the group as they lay in their tent. And at the height of the paranoia, one or more fled the tent and the others followed in dispair, or to stop the initial few how fled for safety reasons. Mainly because they would die from exposure.

Both books are excellent (I would imagine). McCloskeys definately is. In short I don't buy Eichars' theory as according to his theory this incident occurrred as a result of natural forces, which has not been repeated again in 50+ years!!!! That is a little hard for me to swallow. This area was shut down for several years by the Russian Government. The Russian Government acted very suspiciously during the invistigation of this tragedy. IMO Eichars' theory doesn't do a very good job explaining the injuries sustained by the Dyatlov Group. That one "pass" out of the whole region, with the same type of topography, is supposedly responsible for driving the group mad by wind vibrations, like a type of infra-sound weapon. Though this type of weaponry has and is still being researched, it was unheard of in 1959 Russia, if not just theorized. The Dyatlov Pass in now open and the flock of thrill seekers to the area is at it's highest. Now.....for this infra-"so-called" sound to have driven the group to the height of paranoia to flee the tent in such trecherous weather conditions, one would think that the Dyatlov Group would not have been the first, or last victims of this natrual force. But appartently, from what I've been told, Eichar has a theory for that as well. The Mansi (local natives) had hunted this area of generations. They know not to go there, mainly because there is nothing there. The mountain is dead, mostly devoid of wildlife. If Eichars theory is correct and it was some natrually produced sound from wind, then the Mansi, and current day followers, seekers should also experience this infra-sound effect. I know that natural elements can chisel away at rock and stone, but I don't believe that it would change so much in fifty years as to affect that landscape so much that the effect would never happen again.

IMO Eichar is to commercialized as he has been involved in a couple of movies. He is in the social media on a regular business. He is definately trying to sell his book, though it may be a good write.

Any rate sorry for blabbering on, but just "my two cents."

i hadn't even looked at the trailer. but seeing it today tells me that it opted for fiction as opposed to anything realistic. did McCloskey really end his book with this? from the interview on MU there was no answer provided but the suggestion seemed to be that the answer was more mundane i.e. avalanche than what we see in the trailer - secret experimental human alien hybrid program? or was that people and wolves being cross bred?

McCloskey doesn't like the recent movie and I don't think he's even watched it. He did not end his book with the movie, and I don't believe, if I remeber correctly, he even mentions the movie in his book. It was definately not an avalanche that killed the group. What did them in at the end, was exposure to the elements. But.......there are so much more suspicious factors involved that it's hard to give a hypothesis. If you get the chance read McCloskey's book.....it is good. I'm not going to read Eichars book.

Back