• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Doomsday Conspiracies, Prepping and...I'm scared

Jeff Crowell

Paranormal Annoyance
So I'm addicted to the TV show Doomsday Preppers. It's one of my guilty pleasures, not because I buy into the hokie excuses these people are using to store years worth of food and water, but because I take a sick sense of humored pleasure listening to them, then a fascination of how they prepare.

The show's brought my attention to prepping (I'm impressionable like that sometimes), so, on a much smaller scale, I've started looking into prepping, not for a polar shift, mind you, nor a global financial collapse, but instead for a tornado outbreak. Or a blizzard. Or an ice storm. Or a heat wave that may cause brown outs.......you know, the realistic events that could happen in central Indiana throughout the year. It's my strong opinion that having a decent amount of water and food on hand, as well as a good generator, are just prudent preparations for real-life things that could happen in my neck of the woods. Oh, and I enjoy camping, too, so it sort of all ties in, in a very rational way.

But damn are there some wackos in this scene, as much as in the UFO scene, I would say. I joined the American Preppers Network the other day to get advice and ideas for cheap, practical preparations and I've found some rather rational people on that site, too. However I've also been 'approached' by some not-too-rational people as well.....people who would make Kenn Thomas seem...well......grounded and well-reasoned.

IKR?

So far I've been emailed by two people who want me to join their militia and prepare for the end of the world. My limited exchanges with these individuals has put a great amount of fear within me......I do have a family with a 15 year old daughter and like hell I would let either of those two people near them.

In the end, as I explore this new world of 'prepping' (and get some good websites from commercials and sponsors of the Paracast programming) I've quickly realized that there are just as many crazies in prepping as there are in Ghost Hunting, or UFO research. Maybe it's me....being attracted to these types of things, and maybe I'm just as crazy as they are, I've just not realized it yet?

So how 'bout it? Are there any other preppers here on The Paracast Forums, and if so, what's your take on the more off-kilter people involved in prepping?

Peace.

Lots of disposable butane lighters, knives, axes and lots of guns n ammo. That is a very good start, esp as in the US, the movie 'The Road' highlighted the fact you would probably need a gun to kill other humans, as much as for hunting for food. Once law and order has broken down, we would all become targets for violence, theft, rape etc..

Lots of disposable butane lighters, knives, axes and lots of guns n ammo. That is a very good start, esp as in the US, the movie 'The Road' highlighted the fact you would probably need a gun to kill other humans, as much as for hunting for food. Once law and order has broken down, we would all become targets for violence, theft, rape etc..

Oh dude, The Road depressed the shit out of me for weeks. Great movie, though, just utterly depressing...a worse-case scenario for a doomsday event, I think. Another good apocolyptic movie was Book of Eli, I think.

But yes, I've avoided lighters and am working on more primitive but less-temporary fire-making methods.....flint and steel, water-proof matches, even trying my hand at a bow-saw.

Oh dude, The Road depressed the shit out of me for weeks. Great movie, though, just utterly depressing...
I felt the exact same way about this brilliant movie - just reminded me how much I fear the apocalypse. Truth be told, the breakdown of civility is a fearful thing. Guns and lighters a lots and lots of extra shoes appear to be a necessity. The constant gun to the head of his child was so ugly emotionally.

Just as ugly and surreal, from my northern persective, is the whole "militia" phenomenon and their connection to internal terrorist tendencies. That grip loss on reality is deeply troubling. That's got nothing to do wth prepping for emergency - that's just reasonable given expected delays in help from the state.

Just as ugly and surreal, from my northern persective, is the whole "militia" phenomenon and their connection to internal terrorist tendencies. That grip loss on reality is deeply troubling. That's got nothing to do wth prepping for emergency - that's just reasonable given expected delays in help from the state.

I've seen a few documentary programs on militias and one in particular stood out for me. It was about a militia in the south west (Arizona or Utah, perhaps) that was ran by a retired software engineer. This guy was jovial and happy while they were getting ready to go run some military drills in the desert. He even said, "Oh, these guys are just here to have a good time." You could tell he was just doing it to have something to do while he was retired...it kept him in shape and active, plus it was something for him to learn. He had about 30 guys in his little group.

I think it was pretty cool he was doing that, though my point being, here, is that you have the radicals in this, just as with anything else. Unfortunately in other interests and hobbies the radicals are usually fewer but in prepping it seems the radicals are the majority. On top of that the radicals in this interest have guns, knives, and are highly paranoid.

Doomsday Preppers is an OK show, but most of those people are caught up in the lifestyle of prepping, and seem to have a limited grasp of reality.
One guy I saw had a storage container out in the middle of the dessert for an emergency shelter. No water, no sanitation, and directly exposed to dessert heat with no way to heat or cool. Plus, he blew his thumb off learning to shoot a pistol.
One women plans on hiking out of the city with a backpack and some hand weapons like a machete. IF she gets where she's going, what then? No shelter, no food, no etc.
It looks like everyone I've seen on that show needs to take some classes on long term survival and not get caught up in the "fad" of prepping. They just appear not to be thinking this through very well.
I think I'll write a book on long term survival because I've never really seen a decent "all-in-one" survival book. How to survive the intital event, then how to survive long term, what supplies you're actually going to need, the psychology behind survival, etc.

BTW I hated "The Road". I read the book, didnt see the movie. It depressed the hell out of me too for months. Bleh

I store food, but not necessarily for a disaster per se.
I have a large kitchen pantry, and a larger bulk store in the garage
I think there is about 60 kilos of rice in there atm as an example.

I do it primarily so i dont get locked into a weekly supermarket cycle, if for whatever reason i dont want to push a trolley around the supermarket one week or two i dont need to.

Of course in the event of a bird flu breakout or a petrol strike or natural disaster leaving shelves empty, it will come in handy to.

I dont fish or hunt, but i do have a fishing kit and hunting bow gathering dust in the garage as well as a large store of heirloom seeds (both bought and self saved)

I dont consider myself a "prepper" since im not really motivated by a doomsday type scenario, but i am prepared, but then i'm like that with most things, i keep a spare modem configed and ready to go as an example, i keep spares for the car lawnmower etc handy for the same reason.
I have a generator and petrol dump for it.

For me its more about convenience than it is survival

I hate to say it, Mike, but you're a prepper! Just not the radical kind. I think anybody who stores up a little bit extra for a "rainy day" could be considered a prepper since you're preparing, but that's completely reasonable, IMO. I'm prepping, as best I can, for natural disasters...something that may happen next week or during springtime, but these dudes...ugh.

Of course I think there are some preparations that can be made for 'any' disaster. For instance your food stores could come in handy for a mirad of things that could happen. Currently, though, I'm being criticized for only storing food and water for 7 days.

I do plan on learning a bit more about fishing. I doubt I could hunt, though. I"m a little too pacifistic. When it comes to a deer and me....well....I guess I'll starve.

Oh dude, exo_doc, I have a list of links already that would blow your eyes out of their sockets. Prepping is a serious money maker...just like so-called ghost hunting gear was. Lots of people willing to sell stuff for paniked preppers. Actually some of the sponsors for The Paracast aren't too bad. Still, shopping around for the best price always is prudent. :) .

I hate to say it, Mike, but you're a prepper! Just not the radical kind. I think anybody who stores up a little bit extra for a "rainy day" could be considered a prepper since you're preparing, but that's completely reasonable, IMO. I'm prepping, as best I can, for natural disasters...something that may happen next week or during springtime, but these dudes...ugh.

Of course I think there are some preparations that can be made for 'any' disaster. For instance your food stores could come in handy for a mirad of things that could happen. Currently, though, I'm being criticized for only storing food and water for 7 days.

I do plan on learning a bit more about fishing. I doubt I could hunt, though. I"m a little too pacifistic. When it comes to a deer and me....well....I guess I'll starve.

Then in that case that makes me a prepper as well... meh I am ok with it.

Oh dude, exo_doc, I have a list of links already that would blow your eyes out of their sockets. Prepping is a serious money maker...just like so-called ghost hunting gear was. Lots of people willing to sell stuff for paniked preppers. Actually some of the sponsors for The Paracast aren't too bad. Still, shopping around for the best price always is prudent. :) .
Except maybe for specialized items like LONG term storage food & geiger counters, you can find everything else you need at local hardware stores, gun stores, and camping supply places. I just think it's a good idea to have a checklist to not overlook something essential, that was my main reason for posting those links.
BTW, I still prefer the term survivalist to "prepper". Don't you think survivalist sounds more manly? Prepper sounds.....cutesy or something.

BTW, I still prefer the term survivalist to "prepper". Don't you think survivalist sounds more manly? Prepper sounds.....cutesy or something.

Yeah.....I suppose, though to me a prepper is what you are before the "event", a survivalist is what you are after. Nuance. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I keep some spare food in my garage freezer. Not much though. My wife buys a lot of toiletries in bulk so we usually are never caught with our pants down,so to speak. I have a generator and backup heat sources. My water is from a well so I can still get it if I need to. All the planning in the world still can't prepare you for some things.

A little prudence here and there just in case something unexpected happens is always a good idea.

Im the same, I find the very idea very disturbing, last time i had a very sick chicken, i looked up how to put it out of its misery as painlessly as possible, but couldnt do it, took it to the vet instead and they gave her the needle.
Grandad would have just wrung her neck without a second thought.
I only have a hunting bow in case i need to take a kangaroo for my dogs, their diet isnt too meat intensive as it is, they get a mix of oats/linseeds/barley/pasta/lentils/rice, and about the same amount of kangaroo mince, thats the basic mix which i prep in large batches and freeze, and to that i add alternate flavours like canned or fresh tomato's or carrot juice and pulp or roasted pumkin or sweet potato and garlic, so that no two meals are the same two days in a row.
In a worse case scenario i can source kangaroo from the wild, though i hope i never have to.
Its easier to buy it from the pet store, but i have a responsibility to them and would do the deed myself rather than let them starve if i had to.

Im the same, I find the very idea very disturbing, last time i had a very sick chicken, i looked up how to put it out of its misery as painlessly as possible, but couldnt do it, took it to the vet instead and they gave her the needle.
Grandad would have just wrung her neck without a second thought.
I only have a hunting bow in case i need to take a kangaroo for my dogs, their diet isnt too meat intensive as it is, they get a mix of oats/linseeds/barley/pasta/lentils/rice, and about the same amount of kangaroo mince, thats the basic mix which i prep in large batches and freeze, and to that i add alternate flavours like canned or fresh tomato's or carrot juice and pulp or roasted pumkin or sweet potato and garlic, so that no two meals are the same two days in a row.
In a worse case scenario i can source kangaroo from the wild, though i hope i never have to.
Its easier to buy it from the pet store, but i have a responsibility to them and would do the deed myself rather than let them starve if i had to.
you took a chicken to the vet to put it down? was the chicken an animal companion or for eating?

We keep a couple of chooks in our kitchen garden area, they keep the insects like snails under control and provide us with fresh free range eggs.
They are pretty tame, but not really pets per se.

We dont eat em, when they go off the lay we let them live out their lives as they still do a great job in pest control.
I remember grandads policy when they went off the lay.........

I used to fish as a kid, New Zealand has the best trout fishing in the world, but today i dont.
If i was starving i would do it, but with access to fresh fruit and vegtables all year round, i am happy with a meat free (for the most part, im not a purist vegan) diet.
Ive got vegan friends whos dogs are vegan too, i dont go that far mine get meat kangaroo and chicken necks (for the calcium).
Since switching to my homemade blend of meat and vegies/grains etc ive had little to no vet bills either.
We had a bad run of cancers, and even after switching to hills science diet at 100 bucks a bag, we still had them. since switching to my homemade blend we have had a great run of general health in the dogs

I never understood the whole "I don't eat or kill anything with eyes" thinking. (yes i know you didn't say that) One of my clients said it to me last year.. I replied "Plants are living things that you have to kill to eat or they die after you you eat them." and the client looked at me like a deer in the headlights while she thought about it... lol.

As i said im no purist, I give my dogs meat so its not really about the "ethics"

This morning i picked a handful of cherry tomatos, which i had for breakfast with a poached egg i knew was layed this morning on toast that had a clove of garlic rubbed on it prior to getting the egg on top. Fresh chives on top from the herb garden

Lunch will be rice noodles drowned in peanut, garlic and chilli sauce, with the garlic and chillis coming from my own garden.

Dinner will be deep fried silken tofu, with a soy sauce and sesame oil dressing, with stir fried snow peas garlic and pine nuts on the side.

Snow peas fresh from the garden today.

I love to cook, and i eat well

And i'll wash it down with a nice cold honey beer i brewed myself.

I suppose if it came down to my kids starving or a chicken dying, the chicken would lose out in that particular case. I remember having to shoot a rabbit in our back yard, one time, and feeling horrible about that. Our cat had lamed it and it was going to die. Bah, maybe I'm just too much of a wuss.

On a side note, this weeks episode of Doomsday Preppers was lame. They had a guy on there who had bought a retried US missile silo and was looking for a wife to help him convert it into the "ultimate bunker." They showed him go on three dates in one night, each girl he almost immediately told what he was planning to do. Utterly pathetic as he nearly opened with, "How good of a shot are you with a gun?" or "I bought a retired US missile silo and I'm preparing for the end of the world. I need someone to prepare with me. What are your thoughts on that?" One girl was stupid enough to go on a second date with him the next night. That date consisted of him taking her to the bunker (blind folded, of course, so she wouldn't steal of his food if doomsday came and things hadn't worked out between them) and showing her around. Now, I've ghost hunted in some pretty dilapidated and scary places, but this bunker trumped all of them with sheer crappiness. The show ended with a prologue. He never saw the girl again but was still going into extreme debt fortifying the bunker.

I suppose that show is my version of white-trash "low-hanging-fruit" entertainment. Though I prep for what I would call reasonable disasters, watching that show just makes me laugh and yet I'm fascinated by it at the same time.

Back