• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

DOCTOR WHO FANS! MAJOR AWESOME NEWS!!!!

I always wondered how something like this can be lost. Someone dropped in on the bus, left it on top of their car, or filed it in the warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones? Each episode represents a substantial cash investment. Anybody else just lost or misplaced thousands of dollars? Seems like a marketing scam to me. Glad to get more episodes , just pondering.

Last edited:
But the BBC back then did not have an archivist so much as an anarchivist- what can we pitch, what tapes can we re-use? So the episodes that were sent out on film to other countries, as they turn up, are the source of these... So much has been lost forever- including the early seasons of The Goon Show- and so much was nearly lost, like Monty Python's Flying Circus. I wish it *were* a marketing ploy, but they seemed to think as TV as being ephemeral, that no one would want to see things again, any more than you go back to the theater to see a play that *used to be* playing... Oddly, one quirk of early video recording helped some episodes survive, at least in the States, of things that might otherwise have been wiped and re-used... Very early video was edited by spraying the tape with a substance that made the magnetic patterns visible- then the tape was literally cut apart and taped back together as wanted. Such chopped-up tape would never be re-used for anything new. You could get away with one broadcast, sure- but it was likely to come apart in future. So this stuff stayed in the cans...

I always wondered how something like this can be lost. Someone dropped in on the bus, left it on top of their car, or filed it in the warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones? Each episode represents a substantial cash investment. Anybody else just lost or misplaced thousands of dollars? Seems like a marketing scam to me. Glad to get more episodes , just pondering.

Believe me when I say losing tapes and reels holds no surprise for me having worked in TV... Trust me it is not that unusual because when a show is aired or the episode is canned and not rescheduled the tapes end up in the tape grave yard. after a time many of these are just simply dumped or moved to bulk storage which more or less means the same thing.

Tonight (GMT) there is a world-wide simulcast 50th anniversary Dr Who episode. It's gonna have a couple of past Doctors and companions and a few guest appearances by big-name actors.
The show pretty much died in the late 80's/90's but the last decade has seen a fantastic revival and for a show that caters equally to kids and adults, it often is pretty scary and is not dumbed down/fright-downed at all.

I don't watch it regularly but when I do I enjoy it.

I'll put money on our very own Mike having his Tom Baker scarf on tonight in honour of the show! Mike?

Tonight (GMT) there is a world-wide simulcast 50th anniversary Dr Who episode. It's gonna have a couple of past Doctors and companions and a few guest appearances by big-name actors.
The show pretty much died in the late 80's/90's but the last decade has seen a fantastic revival and for a show that caters equally to kids and adults, it often is pretty scary and is not dumbed down/fright-downed at all.

I'll put money on our very own Mike having his Tom Baker scarf on tonight in honour of the show! Mike?

Yeah where is Mike, not like him to miss a thread like this one....... have to PM him and see if he is doing ok.

There are rumors that Baker will be around.

Crazy story: The previous Dr. Who, David Tennant, is married to the daughter of a former Dr. Who, Peter Davison. Davison nowadays plays the head attorney on Law & Order UK (which famously uses scripts rewritten from episodes of the now-discontinued U.S. show), which, in the past, featured a previous Dr. Who companion, Freema Agyeman, as a member of Davison's legal team. I've heard of three degrees of separation. This is one degree.

Another former Law & Order UK cast member: Jamie Bamber, from "Battlestar Galactica."

I think Matt Smith did a terrific job, though. The new Dr., Peter Capaldi (who, like David Tennant and Sylvester McCoy, is from Scotland), has promise. Check the videos of some of his past work.

According to Capaldi's IMDB listing: "Played a character called 'W.H.O. Doctor' in World War Z (2013) before being cast in the lead role for
'Doctor Who'."

And, "Like David Tennant, he was a lifelong 'Doctor Who' fan before he got to play the role."

So this is someone who is coming into this job with high respect for the character. Read his quotes upon getting the part.

There are rumors that Baker will be around.

Crazy story: The previous Dr. Who, David Tennant, is married to the daughter of a former Dr. Who, Peter Davison. Davison nowadays plays the head attorney on Law & Order UK (which famously uses scripts rewritten from episodes of the now-discontinued U.S. show), which, in the past, featured a previous Dr. Who companion, Freema Agyeman, as a member of Davison's legal team. I've heard of three degrees of separation. This is one degree.

Another former Law & Order UK cast member: Jamie Bamber, from "Battlestar Galactica."

Georgia Moffat also played his daughter in "The Doctor's Daughter", the sixth episode of the 2008 series.

Yes, i might be costuming up to go see it in 3D at the cinema today, having just sat through the global simulcast i enjoyed it, but as a bit of a purist i found flaws in it too.

There was some blatant merchandising which irked me, it was unnessesary and a bit corny

ingrid.png

This is the BBC merchandise scarf

"Doctor Who" Doctor Who: Official BBC Fourth Doctor Scarf at BBC Shop

At least the colours are better in this digital age.
Its a huge issue for scarf knitters, you have to decide if you want prop accurate or screen accurate colours.

Bakers scarf is actually a lot brighter than what you see on TV because when the original footage was copied to Pal NTSC for distribution the colours got all washed out.

This is a publicity shot, and the colours are much brighter and more vibrant than the muted pastel shades we see on TV

IMG_03282_zps6726da04.jpg

And while it was great to see and hear Tom Baker again, i have a continuity issue with his advanced age, if he regenerated as a young Tom Baker, how do we get an older and larger version as we saw in this episode.
I for the life of me cant think of any plot device that makes that work.

Apart from that i liked it, and will likely purchase the 3D blue ray if its released

Last edited by a moderator:
Back