• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Colin Bennett - June 12, 2011

Angel of Ioren

Friendly Skeptic
The guest's answer to my question was the most ridiculous I have ever heard as to why there are no good pictures of UFOs in an age when everyone has a camera with them.
I love how some of these UFO guys just invent rules to create their explanations. I want to believe, but all they do is give me more reasons to doubt them.

Thanks for trying Gene and Chris, but I don't think his answer was a good one.

PS. Hello?... Hello?... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (If you have not listened to the episode, you will not get that).

The guest's answer to my question was the most ridiculous I have ever heard as to why there are no good pictures of UFOs in an age when everyone has a camera with them.
I love how some of these UFO guys just invent rules to create their explanations. I want to believe, but all they do is give me more reasons to doubt them.

Thanks for trying Gene and Chris, but I don't think his answer was a good one.

PS. Hello?... Hello?... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (If you have not listened to the episode, you will not get that).

I haven't heard the interview, but it has always been my position, Angel. If there was 10, 000 reported cases of UFO sightings in one year around the world, only 2 to 5 of them could something out of this world and could not be explained. I know i am right by the fact videos of alleged UFO's get uploaded everyday on Paranormal sites and on YouTube etc, i have never seen a true sighting of UFO on any of those videos I have seen.

I haven't heard the interview, but it has always been my position, Angel. If there was 10, 000 reported cases of UFO sightings in one year around the world, only 2 to 5 of them could something out of this world and could not be explained. I know i am right by the fact videos of alleged UFO's get uploaded everyday on Paranormal sites and on YouTube etc, i have never seen a true sighting of UFO on any of those videos I have seen.

I'd be happy to see something that I know had not been faked. A "raw" photo or video would go a long way. I just did not like his explanation, in that it has to do with the difficulty of catching something that moves between dimensions.

"...spiritual sustenance that people require" "...some forum posters out there, that don't believe in anything but the sanctity of the scientific method" "...people are turning away from just rational science and they looking for something else to fulfill them in their lives. "

Chris, I can tell you as someone who was a "true believer" for most of my life, that looking for spiritual sustenance without the benefit of critical thinking and skepticism does not produce anything that is fulfilling or sustaining. It only opens one up to exploitation and manipulation by those who take advantage of others good will and credulity, That has been my experience anyway. I think about the years, tears, and money I have wasted, and witnessed other waste, because we weren't skeptical enough. We believed a lie, we were sold someone else's delusion, we were just too easy to convince. Isn't the purpose of separating the signal from the noise to prevent this when possible?

I'm all for listening to a good weird story. I'm firm believer that everyone has the right to believe whatever they choose. However, I do not have to accept their beliefs and if they choose to discuss them, anyone has all the right in the world to question them and dismiss them. Of course we should show people with differing beliefs courtesy and respect, however that does not extend to their unsupportable or irrational beliefs does it?

"...spiritual sustenance that people require" "...some forum posters out there, that don't believe in anything but the sanctity of the scientific method" "...people are turning away from just rational science and they looking for something else to fulfill them in their lives. " Isn't the purpose of separating the signal from the noise to prevent this when possible?....we should show people with differing beliefs courtesy and respect, however that does not extend to their unsupportable or irrational beliefs does it?
I agree completely. My comments weren't meant to suggest otherwise. We all have a responsibility to be grounded firmly in reality.

The problem is not with being rational and grounded. I beleive in that myself. The problem is the few folks who take the "word" science and try to stifle all inquiry or hope in spritual matters. It reminds me of the way the "church" used to (many still do) take the bible and interpret it as a science book (it's not) a history book (it has some by has a lot of myth and metaphour also) or a sex manual (it's not) and beat people over the head with it. I personally don't believe in atheism. :) I don't beleive in an angry old man in the sky (although I was raised to) I think some things can be measured with a test tube and some with counseling and some with prayer and/or meditation. The risk of cults and dogamatism and manipulators will always be with us. But, that's part of the human experience. I believe in protecting children and the infirm. The rest have to deal with life. No bubble and no net. :)

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

I'm sorry, I need to go back and listen to the show before I comment (to late) So, I'll back out now and listen before I run my mouth anymore on this thread. :p

The problem is not with being rational and grounded. I beleive in that myself. The problem is the few folks who take the "word" science and try to stifle all inquiry or hope in spritual matters. It reminds me of the way the "church" used to (many still do) take the bible and interpret it as a science book (it's not) a history book (it has some by has a lot of myth and metaphour also) or a sex manual (it's not) and beat people over the head with it. I personally don't believe in atheism. :) I don't beleive in an angry old man in the sky (although I was raised to) I think some things can be measured with a test tube and some with counseling and some with prayer and/or meditation. The risk of cults and dogamatism and manipulators will always be with us. But, that's part of the human experience. I believe in protecting children and the infirm. The rest have to deal with life. No bubble and no net. :)

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

I'm sorry, I need to go back and listen to the show before I comment (to late) So, I'll back out now and listen before I run my mouth anymore on this thread. :p

There's nothing to believe in with atheism. That's the point. It means you don't believe there's some dude in the heavens that's running the show. Personally, I don't care. I just know that if there is a god, he's doing a shit job of running this place.

The problem is the few folks who take the "word" science and try to stifle all inquiry or hope in spritual matters.

This type of statement really makes me wonder things like:

What do these few think science actually is?
Who in the hell are these people that are trying stifle all inquiry or hope in spiritual matters?
How are they trying to accomplish this?
Why would anyone care what these few and their apparent tragic misinterpretation of science have to say?

What part of the above do you two not understand? :)
Serioulsy, I have to admit my wife got onto me for the same thing this weekend. I was ranting (road trip and so we talked alot) :) Anyway, I had read something that Randi or Dawkings or some such had said and it had turned out to be not quite correct. So, like any other human with my own worldview and axe to grind I started in about "those" people who hijack science and act as bullies and blah,blah,blah. Finally, she said "Ya know you are talking about a couple of big mouth people with an agenda. Not an actual majority of scientist and you need to back off and we can simply discuss real science" Or science fiction since she's an unrepentant trekie and Star Wars Fanactic. Anyway, those responses kind of reminded me of that. :redface: I still stand by what I said but it was really scatter gunned and not "worthy" of my usual level of comment. :) <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

I agree completely. My comments weren't meant to suggest otherwise. We all have a responsibility to be grounded firmly in reality.

Chris,

I often wonder what you actually think given some of the statements make about skepticism and science. I also have to wonder just what kind of listeners and forum members you want here. I notice that Lance's account has been disabled. Lance has done a fantastic job of doing some real investigation and fact finding. You know this. All personality issues aside, you guys should be thanking him and encouraging him rather than stifling his contribution to the discussion. I realize now that sort of thing isn't really going to happen. I'm disappointed in everyone involved.

Chris,

I often wonder what you actually think given some of the statements make about skepticism and science. I also have to wonder just what kind of listeners and forum members you want here. I notice that Lance's account has been disabled. Lance has done a fantastic job of doing some real investigation and fact finding. You know this. All personality issues aside, you guys should be thanking him and encouraging him rather than stifling his contribution to the discussion. I realize now that sort of thing isn't really going to happen. I'm disappointed in everyone involved.

Yeah, I noticed that too, and it's frustrating. Lance does a great job of asking the right questions and getting to the bottom of things and some people just don't want to hear that.

Lance's account disabled? Did he just get frustrated and quit on his own or was he banned? Who disabled his account?

Don't worry Angel I'll take up the slack. How's this? What do you mean you "feel" a certain way? Did you measure it? Are you aware that in 1998 Doctor so and so found no evidence of feelings associated with this? I called Doctor So and so the other day and they confirmed that nobody ever called them and confirmed that there were ever any feelings associated with this. I have thourghly debunked this and even though your small mind can't comprehend I'm sure you will get the point some day.

Sorry for the small minds comment I should not have made that remark it isn't like me

Angel of Iron thanks Lance for this helpful post

What do you mean Mr. Man researched and showed that statictically there is a actual measurment of ESP? Well, I called Mr. NOway who conducted the same test in 2001 and he has the pictures and the papers so anybody who believes that is an idiot...No I want let it go and it shows a small mind to think I could or would.

Angel thanks Lance for this useful post.

I'm sorry for the snide remarks...that is just not like me

Angel thanks Lance for this useful post!

:cool:

That goes on and on and on for a about seventyleven pages! :)

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

I'm sorry the above sarcasm is just not like me...:p Bawaahahahahahahaaa! Yeah it is...I'm a baaaddd man! :p

What happened to Lance?

I think Lance will be back. Matter of fact even though I made an attempt (however crude) at sarcasm I think he would have "Thanked me" for that useful post. :) Sometime I think folks might benifit from backing away and thinking about things for a minute. I have never understood how anybody who is so sure that all paranormal is bunk could enjoy a paranormal show or board. But, to each his own and I do enjoy honest open minded skeptism. I pratice it. However, I would have zero tolerance and zero interest in joining a board about James Randi or Richard Dawkins. I woulnd't torture myself with their snarky silly and simplistic brand of skeptiscm. Just as I woulnd't subject myself to a silly paranormal board if I was sure it was all junk. But, to each his own and I think this will all work out. :)

What happened to Lance?
Well from what I can speculate from the responses so far (trainedobserver's disappointment and Angelo's frustration), lance is out because of something he posted.

tyder is out of it because of....oh I don't know, crack abuse? :) :)

All in all another fun filled exciting day on the Paracast forums!

Here's the deal: I requested that Lance take a short breather to cool off. He opted to have his membership suspended. His choice. If he wants back, after a short period of time, we'll be glad to reinstate his membership.

No conspiracy theories here. Criticisms are welcome, but there are limits.

Well, I tried to understand Mr. Bennett, but he sounded like Dudley Moore as Arthur if Arthur had a mouthful of bread pudding that he refused to swallow for a couple of hours. What I could understand didn't make too much sense. I think the guy was loaded. I'm pretty sure I heard him say, "I'm going to have another drink." at one point. I think Chris caught that too.

Back