• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Clive Barker (???)

S

schticknz

Just having watched that classic film: Hellraiser 3 - Hell on Earth :eek::D ... sighhhh :D ... how about Clive Barker as a guest on The Paracast ???

He always has paranormal type phenomena in his books (well apart from the blood, and the nasty humans and the leather), and having met him many years ago when he was signing books in Edinburgh, he is a really lovely guy [discovered my name was the same as the kid in the Thief of Always, and we had a lovely chat about that, and Liverpool FC :D]

Anyway, he could talk about the collision of the paranormal and the movie world, literature, video games, and I know he's always up for a metaphysical discussion about life, death, sex (ooerrr missus) and the nature of reality ... or would that be a bit too ... adult :D ???

Anyway ... just yet another thought :D

I'm a big Clive Barker fan... but is there a non-fiction basis with which to bring him on as a guest on the Paracast? He's a great writer, director, painter, etc.--but as far as I know, he doesn't have any more credentials to speak on the subject of the paranormal than anyone else... but maybe I'm too far behind the curve on this one--has he admitted to seeing UFOs, ghosts, bigfoot or some other Forteana? Or is your suggestion just based on his fiction, which mostly has to do with horror?

I'd love to hear an interview with Barker--I don't know that the Paracast is the right forum. I'd be the first one to support any kind of a loophole, but I don't know of any. If Clive Barker can be let in because he writes fiction about the paranormal, that opens a Pandora's box that can't be shut. The genie is out of the bottle at that point.

Perhaps he has had a personal sighting, ghost experience, or something that isn't public knowledge--otherwise, it would be my guess that he's not really appropriate. Gene? David? Any thoughts?

Writers like Whitley Strieber, I can see--he's written both fiction and alleged non-fiction about UFOs, their occupants and his experiences with the visitors--but other than that, I just don't see how Barker and others of his ilk would fit in.

Well he is known for his horror but for a quite a few years now he's been really writing books that are more metaphysical than straight (he he ... Clive Barker ... straight :D) horror. And he has written a book about ghosts of course ("Coldheart Canyon").

I just thought it would be interesting to get a different slant on things. Sometimes coming at things at an oblique angle can throw light on a subject. I don't know myself how much of a paranormalist (!?) he is but I'm sure he would have some fascinating things to say about the nature of reality ... which coming down to it is what the whole paranormal thing is all about.

Just thought I would throw out a curve ball and see which way it swung ...

(damn ... would have been ideal for Halloween :D)

He is also creating a broadway 'opera' with the singer Jonathan Davis of Korn (not performing in it) and Richard Gibbs. Its going to be an interesting show, very unique its called Oblivion about the end of humanity. Keep an eye out for that.

"In AOL's recent interview with Jonathan Davis of Korn, the frontman revealed that he has begun writing an opera entitled 'Oblivion' with Richard Gibbs and horror legend Clive Barker. Davis says the "dark opera" will be "way different" from Korn's style and is about the end of the world. He has just started writing the music for it, and in case you're wondering, he will not be starring in it. "

Back