• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Cats and Dead People?

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
While perusing the TV dials on Thursday evening, I caught a reference by CNN Headline News' conservative talking head, Glenn Beck, about a cat that can "see dead people."

It seems that when a certain cat is seen going near a patient's room in a nursing home, it seems to signify that the patient in question is about to die. Weird.

That's what the story was about, though the host took a neutral tact. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Inquiring talk show hosts want to know :rolleyes:

I had a cat that used to come in to the kitchen and howl every time a can of 'Whiskas' was going to die.

-DBTrek

I've heard of lots of these sorts of things. Usually not this specific but odd behaviour by animals shortly before a death or at the time of death if their master is away from home when they die. I remember a study was done a while ago about dogs who could detect cancer.

Doesn't really suprise me, given that certain animal's senses tend to outstrip our own by many hundreds of times in terms of sensitivity, that they can detect things we can't.

You have dials on your tv? You don't use the remote!?

I saw a documentary once that reported a OBE test where they took a cat owner, had him/her astral travel and visit the cat in another room. The cat seemed to react to it's owner while he/she was out of body. I can't recall the name of the test, or who did it unfortunately.

I've heard of many cases where animals seem to respond to "ghosts". One case reports that 2 dogs lept to their death due to the fright they got from a supposed ghost, or poltergeist. True? Dunno.

there is a cat named Olivia at the Seasons Hospice in Rochester MN that does the same thing. i witnessed it myself the day my mother passed away a little over a year ago. the day my mom died Olivia came in the room and sat at the foot of the bed and stared at her for several hours. a nurse came in and asked how long the cat had been in the room. i said for a couple hours she has been sitting at the foot of the bed staring at mom. the nurse looked very concerned and quickly left the room only to return with 2 other nurses. they both checked on mom and then all 3 left the room. minutes later one came back in and said i should consider calling my dad and brother and anyone else that wished to see her one more time. she then told me about Olivia and her special senses. she said on the day someone was going to die she stays on the bed until they pass. Olivia stayed on that bed all day long and only left long enough to use the cat box and was right back on the bed again. mom died at 5pm while i was holding her hand and Olivia watching intently. when mom breathed her last breath and died, Olivia looked at me for a few minutes and then left the room. it was very strange and comforting in a way.

Ancient Egyptians believed cats acted as guardians to freshly departed spirits, protecting them from attack by evil entities as they journeyed into the next world.
Medieval Christians adopted an opposing view. They condemned cats as agents of Satan, and slaughtered them en mass. Public burnings were actually performed, in the same sort of ritual executions also visited upon humans found guilty of witchcraft. The result was the Black Death, which killed off roughly half of Europe's population. With no natural predators to keep their numbers down, hordes of rats carrying bubonic plague infested fleas were free to overrun the cities. Stupidity always finds a way to collect its debts.

Pixel, thanks so much for sharing your story! I believe that cats like Oscar, and Olivia are there to help those spirits cross over.

Cats always seem to be looking at things that aren't there.

This might be surprising to dog-people, but we cat-lovers know that felines are semi-divine creatures that can do no wrong. They see into your soul and know you. As the hem of God's garment brushed the ground of the Earth cats were created.:p :p

Did I mention I like cats?

hehe...totally true, Brian, and they'll never let you forget it, either! My kitties are so tuned in to me, they know when I'm sick, sad, or just stressed out. They're really amazing creatures. I'm not a dog-hater, either. In fact, I think that most animals are "psychic" in some way!

peter222999 said:
Animals are tuned in to realms , nature and more that we we either cannot
or will not slow down enough to see ourselves.
www.ufotshirts.com

Ahhhh, yes the ol' shaved-head-goatee-and-shirtless look...I didn't know there were gay shadow people too.

Wow, the afterlife is looking better every day!

I heard that story, too. While I've heard about that sort of thing before, I thought it was especially interesting that it was treated like actual news, instead of making a joke out of it. I think animals are much more sensitive than we are. I used to have a dog that was afraid of one area in the basement, for no reason that I could ever see. And I have a cat that seems to see and meow at things that I definitely do not see. I have always joked that she sees dead people, but who knows?

It's well-known in ancient folklore that dogs and cats can see ghosts.

They say if you look between a dog or cat's ears, you can see the ghosts they can see.

Never worked for me, tho.

Yup, read the story a while back and thought it was pretty interesting. Of course there is the idea that the cats can pick up on a scent (perhaps relating to death)...but I figure that would repulse the cat rather than lead it to want to keep the person company.

My little kitty does the normal thing of staring off into nothingness sometimes. It freaks my girlfriend out because she can see he's staring at something but yet she can't see anything. He is definitely becoming more attuned to me as well and I'm definitely beginning to think he understands everything I say.

There's been a few times where something will startle him. One time I was holding him early in the morning (3-4 AM) and out of nowhere he spazzed out and clawed my face. I was pissed off but realized there was nothing in the room to cause that behavior (particularly from him being so calm). I suppose I can attribute it to his heightened sense of hearing picking up something I couldn't hear...or something else perhaps?

Gene Steinberg said:
While perusing the TV dials on Thursday evening, I caught a reference by CNN Headline News' conservative talking head, Glenn Beck, about a cat that can "see dead people."

It seems that when a certain cat is seen going near a patient's room in a nursing home, it seems to signify that the patient in question is about to die. Weird.

That's what the story was about, though the host took a neutral tact. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Inquiring talk show hosts want to know :rolleyes:

I've seen such a thing.

I'm very lucky in that I live with:

1. A woman who is undeniably psychic. On more than one occasion she's read my thoughts with sickening precision, and has had numerous dreams that come true in real life. She can also see and talk to spirits, which can either be very cool (driving through a cemetary) or incredibly annoying (showing up in the bedroom). I don't think she's really human, and whenever I ask about it she just smirks at me and says, "You'll figure it out."

2. Two cats with the most expressive personalities I've ever seen. I never believed in past lives until I met these two kitties. They're brothers, but one is very long and big, muscular, lazy, and independent. The other is small, lean, petite, vocal, and clingy. When we watch football and drink beer... the big guy is right there with us. When we're drinking wine and watching a foreign arthouse film... the small guy is always around.

The apartment we used to live in was located in a small town in Ohio called Oxford, right where the Miami University campus is located, about 35 miles north of Cincinnati. There are several cemetaries in town, one of which was right down the road from us. My fiancee was constantly seeing spirits... in the apartment, in the hallway, in town, in the cemetaries, in old buildings on campus, wandering through parks... just all over the place. Our guess was that a lot of unfulfilled lives were spent there, who knows. If you've ever been to southwest Ohio you'll get the sense of oppression, anger, frustration, fear, anxiety and repressiveness. If you don't, check for a pulse.

For a time, I wasn't working, so I would stay up late until about two or three in the morning on the computer that was set up in the dining area. If I'm sitting in that spot, the kitchen is on my right, partitioned off from the apartment by some drywall. Above the sink, facing out into the apartment living room, is a porthole, like a big window with no glass, where we kept our keys, wallets, etc. If someone walked into the room you would see them in the hallway through the porthole.

Almost every night, at about 1:30, the small cat (named Wes) would come and sit on the printer set up behind me, sit in one spot, and glare at the porthole for about half an hour. And I mean his eyes got round and big, his gaze completely fixed on that porthole, and he wouldn't move a muscle, almost like he was guarding me. Anyone who has owned cats knows how short their attention spans could be. Whenever he did this I always tried to look and see if I could see anything, but I never did. Once or twice I felt a strong presence in the room. If I tried moving Wes, he would just go right back to where he was. If I tried shielding his face, he'd just peer over my hand, his eyes still big and wide and glossy. He wouldn't respond to anything... except food.

Now we live in an apartment in Austin, Texas. The atmosphere here is much better, more open, friendly, expressive and vibrant, and it's been months since my finacee has seen any spirits. I guess neither has Wes, because he doesn't do that glaring thing anymore. I swear to God I've never heard or seen a cat behave like that before.

I would totally believe that cats can see spirits, because mine did.

Ok here's a weird story that's related to this subject:

Once when I was younger I lived in my grandparent's old house for about a year or so. It was very old and had an almost palpable atmosphere about it, one of those old places that people say has alot of character. Anyway, the entire time I lived there I had incredibly vivid dreams, and I actually cataloged them in a book. I filled the entire book, cover to cover.

In one of these dreams, I had a very vivid experience that has all the characteristics of an out of body experience. I didn't know about OOBEs at the time, but in the dream I left my body and actually flew around my neighborhood.

It all seemed very real. I flew into a neighbor's house through their roof, and went into their living room. There I saw a man and a woman watching television. They didn't seem to notice that I was standing right there.

There was also a cat sitting on the couch nearby. The cat turned its head and looked directly at me. That spooked me and I zoomed away somehow.

It was only years later that I read books about OOBEs and the idea that animals can often see entities that are invisible to people.

Ew, great stories.

I mentioned in another thread that I vocalized my intention to become more aware of things going on around me that I'd normally never tried to see or hear. During that period, last year, when I was able to keep focus on my intent, my cat was sitting in a chair in the kitchen near me. I reached over to give her a head rub when we both heard what sounded like a dog growling just outside the kitchen doorway in the hall.

My cat looked into the hall just as I did. Though she peered for a while in that direction, I can't promise she saw something. I didn't. But I don't have a dog or any animal that could have made the guteral and sustained sound we both heard. Creeped me out, but the cat was fine.

i have a young blind cat that in many ways sees more than a sighted cat. both my cats know when i am sad or sick.

Attachments

• sugar.jpg
    sugar.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 2
Back