• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Black helicopters?

• Thread starter klatuu_berada_nicto
  • Start date

K

klatuu_berada_nicto

Hello all!

I had to re-register my account, but, am back.

I saw my first black helicopter today. I was having a smoke outside of work around 10:30a and heard a chopper flying overhead, maybe 1500 ft from me and about 1000 ft altitude. I look up and...I'll be damned...a black Bell 206. Not a Kiowa or any other type of military chopper.

I took a long look at it just to make sure it wasn't a National Guard bird painted that dark green color. No, it was flat black with no obvious markings.

Yes, an airport is located near where I work at and normally we see Robinson type choppers (students or other private owners) flying around, but this aircraft did not head for the airport. It flew straight for the foothills north of Boulder and disappeared behind a ridge. I hung out for a few extra minutes to see if it came back, but, it did not.

Thoughts, anyone?

Here's the thing about black helicopters.

When you build a helicopter, you have to test fly it. Usually, you don't paint a helicopter until you've done the first test flight, or... you have a customer who ordered something special.

Chances are, this helicopter you saw was just doing a test flight, and will likely be painted up for some customer, or hospital that ordered it.

Tommy Allison said:
Here's the thing about black helicopters.

When you build a helicopter, you have to test fly it. Usually, you don't paint a helicopter until you've done the first test flight, or... you have a customer who ordered something special.

Chances are, this helicopter you saw was just doing a test flight, and will likely be painted up for some customer, or hospital that ordered it.

I'm no expert, but I'm going to venture a reasonable guess that helicopter manufacturers have a designated area to test-fly their vehicles. By definition, if a vehicle is being test-flown, this means that the manufacturers have not yet fully established that the vehicle functions as it should.

It would actually be dangerous to test-fly a large metal vehicle over a populated area.

If the place you work at is in a generally populated area, I think it can be reasonably assumed that this vehicle wasn't being test-flown.

It would be interesting to know if it is legal for an individual or a company to operate unmarked aircraft. If so, this would seem rather strange for a number of reasons, such as air traffic control or possible insurance claims.

Back