• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Binary code message/Rendlesham

I agree. Penniston has given conflicting accounts - stating both that he knew what the codes said before they were deciphered and that he thought they didn't mean anything. We only have Penniston's word that the material was "transmitted" when he says it was. That the aliens (or time travelers) used ASCII code is remarkable. And that they used telepathy to transmit the message to Penniston strikes me as being as reliable as the telepathic messages that Adamski received.

But I have never been impressed with most of the Rendlesham material. As time passes it has gotten increasingly dramatic - the supposed code is just one example of this.

I agree. Penniston has given conflicting accounts - stating both that he knew what the codes said before they were deciphered and that he thought they didn't mean anything. We only have Penniston's word that the material was "transmitted" when he says it was. That the aliens (or time travelers) used ASCII code is remarkable. And that they used telepathy to transmit the message to Penniston strikes me as being as reliable as the telepathic messages that Adamski received.

But I have never been impressed with most of the Rendlesham material. As time passes it has gotten increasingly dramatic - the supposed code is just one example of this.
Agreed. The latest & greatest Rendlesham TV spot/reenactment show I've seen (was the best of all of them IMO) didn't include Penniston at all which I thought was odd. I don't think it even mentioned his name. A little while into the program I figured that it was probably because even the producers think his part of the story is ludicrous. I could be wrong, but I think the program I am talking about is UFO's Declassified.

I lived near Rendlesham for a while in the 1980s and never heard a thing about the incident. No doubt it made the East Anglian Daily Times right after the event but by 1987 at least there wasn't much local interest. The whole thing seems to have gathered popularity and momentum (and gotten increasingly dramatic, as CGL says) as time has moved on. My money's on one of these two as the culprit:

Gort_Firing.jpg

forestside.jpg

Last edited:
P.S. Yes, I think the binary code, just like the Hy-Brasil it purportedly points to, is myth, but good for selling a few books/television shows.

I lived near Rendlesham for a while in the 1980s and never heard a thing about the incident

I heard an interview with Colonel John Alexander in which he said that Rendlesham Forest was an area where *other* strange events had been reported both pre and post the December 1980 incident.

I haven't found anything online to back this up, did you hear anything locally that might suggest this was the case?

I don't believe in the binary code theory as the time line when he came forward with the notebook didn't coincide with the initial UFO investigation(s). At the same time, I do find it intriguing that a few crop circles incorporated binary codes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

As in most odd ufological twists, one can see this from a number of possible angles.

-Penniston has been confabulating about Rendlesham for years and worked himself ever more deeply into a false narrative, finding ever more detail in the process.

-As often recorded in the history of UFO close encounters, the mind and psyche of the witness/participant is profoundly and deeply altered. Comparing video of Penniston done twenty years ago with more recent stuff, I cannot help but see a marked change of affect in his demeanor. He seems increasingly troubled and withdrawn. Just my take.

As time wears son, Rendlesham is conforming ever more closely to the Roswell model. We have a number of (wait for it) credible witnesses on record as having experienced strange things. Following the bread crumbs into Rendlesham Forest leads us to the same old hall of mirrors. Like Roswell, something unusual seems to have happened at Rendlesham. We will probably never know what.

As in most odd ufological twists, one can see this from a number of possible angles.

-Penniston has been confabulating about Rendlesham for years and worked himself ever more deeply into a false narrative, finding ever more detail in the process.

-As often recorded in the history of UFO close encounters, the mind and psyche of the witness/participant is profoundly and deeply altered. Comparing video of Penniston done twenty years ago with more recent stuff, I cannot help but see a marked change of affect in his demeanor. He seems increasingly troubled and withdrawn. Just my take.

As time wears son, Rendlesham is conforming ever more closely to the Roswell model. We have a number of (wait for it) credible witnesses on record as having experienced strange things. Following the bread crumbs into Rendlesham Forest leads us to the same old hall of mirrors. Like Roswell, something unusual seems to have happened at Rendlesham. We will probably never know what.
That's a great way of putting it. I like how if somebody sees something (or hears something) today - that by the time Friday rolls around the story will be vastly different (after it's been repeated & passed along) - much like the old "telephone game". So can you imagine how distorted Roswell & Rendlesham are today after all these years?

They should come out with a law that bans any future Roswell books/blogs/posts/tv shows/movies etc (starting after this post ;) We're never going to know and the story keeps getting added to & manipulated. Both of the stories are so distorted now that I've lost interest in both.

Back