• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Bigelow Shows off Space Module

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[I've heard through the grapevine that yet another bombshell announcement is coming from Biggie's bunch—chris]

ARTICLE HERE:

Private North Las Vegas company shows off space module

By George Knapp, Chief Investigative Reporter

Bigelow Expandable Activity Module or BEAM.

NORTH LAS VEGAS -- Top NASA officials were in southern Nevada Thursday to pick up a technological marvel that could represent the future of human space exploration.
The team at Bigelow Aerospace, a private North Las Vegas company, made good on its promise to build an expandable spacecraft that could one day form the backbone of human colonies on the moon, Mars, and beyond.

It will be the first privately built module to be attached to the International Space Station.

Called the BEAM, for Bigelow Expandable Activity Module, will be launched, then attached to ISS in September. The craft is inflated with oxygen and nitrogen once it is in orbit. It is about 13 feet long and 11 feet wide. It will catch a ride on the Space X rocket.

Bigelow Aerospace is owned by Real Estate Tycoon and Hotelier Robert Bigelow. The I-Team has covered every step of Bigelow's private space program, including two previous launches of smaller versions of the inflatable habitat since the company broke ground more than a decade ago.

When Diane Bigelow appears at the aerospace plant in North Las Vegas, you know something big is in the works. She is the unofficial CEO, CFO, and muse to her husband Bob, and the overseer to his space dreams. She was at the plant Thursday morning with NASA bigwigs, international media, and others on the periphery of commercial space exploration. Bob Bigelow delivered what he'd promised to NASA just a little over two years ago.

"It will be 185,000 square feet," he said.

Even as recently as a few years ago, after Bob Bigelow had already plowed more than $200 million of his own dollars into the expansion of his massive aerospace plant, some still didn't give it much credence.

Critics considered Bigelow to be a slightly crazy rich guy whose corporate logo didn't disguise his interest in exotic topics. From now on, it will be much harder to make that criticism stick.

The BEAM may not look like much sitting in the enormous hangar, but the next time the public sees it, the collapsed spacecraft will be attached to the International Space Station, where it will be inflated to its full 16 cubic meters and then studied by ISS astronauts for a two-year trial period to see how it holds up.

Although it almost looks like a microwave popcorn apparatus when inflated, make no mistake, this baby is tough.

"This is a momentous occasion for us," Bigelow said.

His formal announcement in front of the international space community and media was a coming out party of sorts, Bigelow in effect handed over the keys to his cosmic hot rod to NASA's Bill Gerstenmaier, making good on the nearly $18 million contract signed with NASA in 2013. But as both men acknowledged, this is only the beginning. Assuming BEAM passes all of its tests once attached to the space station, it could pave the way for much bigger endeavors.

"We're really learning how to operate in space, how to move the human presence into the solar system," said William Gerstenmaier, NASA ISS program manager. "This is really the first step for doing this."

Bigelow stopped short of saying he wants to build larger versions of his expandable habitats as the cornerstone of permanent bases on the moon and Mars, but elsewhere in his plant, there are detailed models of what such a base would look like.

During the unveiling event, he thanked the engineers and technicians who pushed themselves for two years to finish BEAM on time and under budget, then suggested they could have bigger jobs ahead, as hinted by the mock up behind the podium of a spacecraft bigger than the Starship Enterprise.

"We do have ambitions outside of earth's orbit," he said. "That's no surprise. We're working on the architectures like the one behind us to prepare ourselves to participate in some type of group endeavor."

The reason expandable craft make sense is that they are so much lighter than other modules, but are still stronger and safer for the space crew. it means a private space program could get a much bigger bang per buck or per launch, putting more living space up there, space where nations like Japan, which had representatives on hand, or corporations, could carry out their own research without paying for a full space program from scratch.

"Now, we think 2017," Bigelow said. "We think the chances are very good."

REST OF ARTICLE HERE:

Bobby Bigelow doesn't come out to play in public very often as noted by Knapp and this was certainly an event worthy of an appearance.

That's the thing about Bigelow and us - we are interested in him for a number of reasons; Skinwalker Ranch/NIDS along with his interest in UFOs, his efforts for making space habitat cheaper (much, much cheaper!) and of course we tend to be interested in the super-rich. Bigelow making an appearance for any of these reasons is interesting for us onlookers.
He has created a strange place for himself in alternative culture. One can like him for being interested in the Utah ranch, the UFOs etc but at the same time he can be loathed because he supposedly must be part of the government conspiracy to conceal the truth about UFOs. The fact that Bigelow Aerospace is now the go-to place for official UFO reports, instead of the FAA puts the company in probably a unique position worldwide. Personally I cannot think of another country whose FAA equivalent has called for UFO reports to go to a private company of their choosing. It's exceptionally non-standard, which pretty much sums up Bigelow himself.

Yeah, I agree. He's a unique dude in the overall scheme of things. Thanks for responding to my post. Sometimes I feel like I'm posting out into a vacuum around here! I post really important stories. links and comments and .... nothing, nada, silence.... at least I know you're paying attention!

The fact that Bigelow Aerospace is now the go-to place for official UFO reports, instead of the FAA puts the company in probably a unique position worldwide. Personally I cannot think of another country whose FAA equivalent has called for UFO reports to go to a private company of their choosing. It's exceptionally non-standard, which pretty much sums up Bigelow himself.

Yes, unique to America, where the {hidden} answers to most questions of concern to the human species can be found by 'following the money'. Bigelow is publicly funded by taxpayers to do what the elected government should be doing. The recently displayed extendable habitat prototype produced by Bigelow was bought and paid for with $2 million from Bigelow and $16 million from tax-generated public funds, if memory serves. All that may be well and good, Bigelow making up a shortfall in available federal investment in space exploration. But turning over UFO reports by pilots to Bigelow Inc. is, as you observe, beyond the pale. Of course, the corporate-dominated US government is increasingly fixed (by Republican majorities) on 'out-sourcing' what are properly public tasks to private corporations. Who are we going to complain to? Certainly not Bigelow, just another corporate capitalist working with other corporate capitalists. If he were not a part of the military-industrial complex he would be sharing ufo reports from pilots, ATCs, etc., with the public.

Last edited:
Yes, unique to America... Of course, the corporate-dominated US government is increasingly fixed (by Republican majorities) on 'out-sourcing' what are properly public tasks to private corporations. Who are we going to complain to? Certainly not Bigelow, just another corporate capitalist working with other corporate capitalists. If he were not a part of the military-industrial complex he would be sharing ufo reports from pilots, ATCs, etc., with the public.
Yeah, in our perfect 'brave new world,' Bigelow is quietly following that Dyson vacuum guy's shoes and has invented the ultimate ufo/intelligence vacuum that is gobbling up every possible dust mouse of datadirt possible. I wonder if he is somehow slated to be linked in to the new UT NSA data center(?) Yeah, a perfectly privatized 'brave new world" beyond the realm of oversite and transparency is upon us. :eek:

Yeah, I agree. He's a unique dude in the overall scheme of things. Thanks for responding to my post. Sometimes I feel like I'm posting out into a vacuum around here! I post really important stories. links and comments and .... nothing, nada, silence.... at least I know you're paying attention!

As you know, it is often the case the brilliant shows/guests/news gets little apparent interest in this forum, yet mundane crap is fought over constantly! Go figure. It might sadly be the case that many people are intellectually lazy in bothering with new topics or even new developments in existing topics. People will happily post like machine monkeys over and over in certain subjects and not a whiff of others. I like to keep up to date with stuff if I can, I like to be informed and it is one of the many reasons I use this forum.

I wouldn't know half the stuff I do on these paranormal subjects if I didn't come here. And specifically to yourself Chris, I am more likely to read a post if I know you started the thread because it will tend to be something i'd be interested in.

I would love to see someone run up behind him and stick a pin in that thing. I know there is a lot of development that went in to this and every possibility has been explored, but it just looks so flimsy. He is a businessman so maybe the craft is cheap, it's the inflatable repair kit that costs tens of millions.

Back